win-nt from the people who invented edlin. -- MaDsen Wikholm, mwikholm@at8.abo.fi

tech / sci.electronics.design / POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, pictures

SubjectAuthor
* POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, picturesJan Panteltje
+* Re: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, picturespiglet
|+* Re: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, picturesJan Panteltje
||+- Re: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, picturesJan Panteltje
||`- Re: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, picturesBob Engelhardt
|+- Re: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, picturesJan Panteltje
|`- MQ4 gas sensor circuit diagram, asm code, C code and pictures all in one file noJan Panteltje
`- Re: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, pictureswhit3rd

1
POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, pictures

<uhvbg7$10d75$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131504&group=sci.electronics.design#131504

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, pictures
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 05:19:02 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 05:19 UTC

Outside view, the metal from the MQ4 detector is electrically isolated from the rest:
https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSBC

Bit crowded in there, switcher to 5V, parts just what I found laying about:
https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSGL

There is also a BD137 emitter follower hidden under the ethernet module to make 3.3 V for the PIC and ethernet module from the 5 V.
I modified the ethernet connecter and cut the traces that did put a resistor over the POE power lines.
Thing gets slightly warm, that MQ4 detector has actually a light bulb like filament.
On 12V it glows in the dark, one actually survived that 12 V (5 V is the nominal voltage)! Sensitivity is then damaged.

I am testing free anonymous (no registering) upload site imagebam.com, seems to work OK.

Circuit diagram:
https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSJB

The C code was already published here last week.

So it basically every few seconds sends UDP packets to 192.168.178.73 containing sensor current, gas concentration, and error messages
(broken MQ4 filament, high gas level),

The receiving end processes that data and forwards the data via UDP to 192.168.178.95 that analyses the data and gives voice messages
via the local sound system, so no stupid beeps, could even work remote if needed.
It also gives alarm if no sensor messages received for some time.

Re: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, pictures

<ui0bdd$27sbs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131507&group=sci.electronics.design#131507

From: erichpwa...@hotmail.com (piglet)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 14:23:39 +0000
 by: piglet - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 14:23 UTC

On 02/11/2023 5:19 am, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> Outside view, the metal from the MQ4 detector is electrically isolated from the rest:
> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSBC
>
> Bit crowded in there, switcher to 5V, parts just what I found laying about:
> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSGL
>
> There is also a BD137 emitter follower hidden under the ethernet module to make 3.3 V for the PIC and ethernet module from the 5 V.
> I modified the ethernet connecter and cut the traces that did put a resistor over the POE power lines.
> Thing gets slightly warm, that MQ4 detector has actually a light bulb like filament.
> On 12V it glows in the dark, one actually survived that 12 V (5 V is the nominal voltage)! Sensitivity is then damaged.
>
> I am testing free anonymous (no registering) upload site imagebam.com, seems to work OK.
>
> Circuit diagram:
> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSJB
>

> The C code was already published here last week.
>
> So it basically every few seconds sends UDP packets to 192.168.178.73 containing sensor current, gas concentration, and error messages
> (broken MQ4 filament, high gas level),
>
> The receiving end processes that data and forwards the data via UDP to 192.168.178.95 that analyses the data and gives voice messages
> via the local sound system, so no stupid beeps, could even work remote if needed.
> It also gives alarm if no sensor messages received for some time.

imagebam doesn't load for me?

piglet

Re: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, pictures

<ui0e53$10upn$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131512&group=sci.electronics.design#131512

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 15:10:27 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 15:10 UTC

On a sunny day (Thu, 2 Nov 2023 14:23:39 +0000) it happened piglet
<erichpwagner@hotmail.com> wrote in <ui0bdd$27sbs$1@dont-email.me>:

>On 02/11/2023 5:19 am, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> Outside view, the metal from the MQ4 detector is electrically isolated from the rest:
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSBC
>>
>> Bit crowded in there, switcher to 5V, parts just what I found laying about:
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSGL
>>
>> There is also a BD137 emitter follower hidden under the ethernet module to make 3.3 V for the PIC and ethernet module from the
>> 5 V.
>> I modified the ethernet connecter and cut the traces that did put a resistor over the POE power lines.
>> Thing gets slightly warm, that MQ4 detector has actually a light bulb like filament.
>> On 12V it glows in the dark, one actually survived that 12 V (5 V is the nominal voltage)! Sensitivity is then damaged.
>>
>> I am testing free anonymous (no registering) upload site imagebam.com, seems to work OK.
>>
>> Circuit diagram:
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSJB
>>

>> The C code was already published here last week.
>>
>> So it basically every few seconds sends UDP packets to 192.168.178.73 containing sensor current, gas concentration, and error
>> messages
>> (broken MQ4 filament, high gas level),
>>
>> The receiving end processes that data and forwards the data via UDP to 192.168.178.95 that analyses the data and gives voice
>> messages
>> via the local sound system, so no stupid beeps, could even work remote if needed.
>> It also gives alarm if no sensor messages received for some time.
>>

>imagebam doesn't load for me?

Just tried it again from an other browser (ow chromium) and and other IP addres, no problem.
Anybody else problems?
May put it on my website later.

Re: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, pictures

<0239fbf4-049e-4a06-8eb7-a53f6b5f0100n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131518&group=sci.electronics.design#131518

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 11:24:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 18:24 UTC

On Wednesday, November 1, 2023 at 10:19:11 PM UTC-7, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> Outside view, the metal from the MQ4 detector is electrically isolated from the rest:
> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSBC
>
> Bit crowded in there, switcher to 5V, parts just what I found laying about:

Excellent! For the market for something like that, something using pi pico-W with a
wall tumor power supply would be slightly easier to install, and document.
The use of real wired POE Ethernet is still a bit of a barrier (how, I wonder, would I get
that to the vicinity of my furnace?).

> The receiving end processes that data and forwards the data via UDP to 192.168.178.95 that analyses the data and gives voice messages
> via the local sound system, so no stupid beeps, could even work remote if needed.
> It also gives alarm if no sensor messages received for some time.

That's a good feature set. I really like the absolute IP addressing, even if it's nonrouting; it's
not dependent on DHCP service, just requires some note-taking to survive when your
net gets new nodes. I've had reconfiguration (loses the printer, test area needs a fresh
network config every time we power down) issues with addressing. Fixed addressing
and IP6 together ought to make the internet of things workable.

Re: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, pictures

<ui2f2a$11tp9$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131535&group=sci.electronics.design#131535

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 09:38:17 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 09:38 UTC

On a sunny day (Thu, 2 Nov 2023 14:23:39 +0000) it happened piglet
<erichpwagner@hotmail.com> wrote in <ui0bdd$27sbs$1@dont-email.me>:

>On 02/11/2023 5:19 am, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> Outside view, the metal from the MQ4 detector is electrically isolated from the rest:
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSBC
>>
>> Bit crowded in there, switcher to 5V, parts just what I found laying about:
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSGL
>>
>> There is also a BD137 emitter follower hidden under the ethernet module to make 3.3 V for the PIC and ethernet module from the
>> 5 V.
>> I modified the ethernet connecter and cut the traces that did put a resistor over the POE power lines.
>> Thing gets slightly warm, that MQ4 detector has actually a light bulb like filament.
>> On 12V it glows in the dark, one actually survived that 12 V (5 V is the nominal voltage)! Sensitivity is then damaged.
>>
>> I am testing free anonymous (no registering) upload site imagebam.com, seems to work OK.
>>
>> Circuit diagram:
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSJB
>>

>> The C code was already published here last week.
>>
>> So it basically every few seconds sends UDP packets to 192.168.178.73 containing sensor current, gas concentration, and error
>> messages
>> (broken MQ4 filament, high gas level),
>>
>> The receiving end processes that data and forwards the data via UDP to 192.168.178.95 that analyses the data and gives voice
>> messages
>> via the local sound system, so no stupid beeps, could even work remote if needed.
>> It also gives alarm if no sensor messages received for some time.
>>

>imagebam doesn't load for me?

Just tried it again from an other browser (ow chromium) and and other IP addres, no problem.
Anybody else problems?
May put it on my website later.

MQ4 gas sensor circuit diagram, asm code, C code and pictures all in one file now for download as tgz

<ui2f2b$11tp9$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131536&group=sci.electronics.design#131536

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: MQ4 gas sensor circuit diagram, asm code, C code and pictures all in one file now for download as tgz
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 09:38:17 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 09:38 UTC

MQ4 gas sensor circuit diagram, asm code, C code and pictures all in one .tgz file for download at my website:
Webbrowser to
panteltje.nl/pub/gas_pic_udp-0.1.tgz

or simply
wget panteltje.nl/pub/gas_pic_udp-0.1.tgz

All code GPL

Re: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, pictures

<ui2fad$11tvk$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131537&group=sci.electronics.design#131537

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 09:42:36 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 09:42 UTC

On a sunny day (Thu, 02 Nov 2023 15:10:27 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
<alien@comet.invalid> wrote in <ui0e53$10upn$1@solani.org>:

>On a sunny day (Thu, 2 Nov 2023 14:23:39 +0000) it happened piglet
><erichpwagner@hotmail.com> wrote in <ui0bdd$27sbs$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>>On 02/11/2023 5:19 am, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>>> Outside view, the metal from the MQ4 detector is electrically isolated from the rest:
>>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSBC
>>>
>>> Bit crowded in there, switcher to 5V, parts just what I found laying about:
>>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSGL
>>>
>>> There is also a BD137 emitter follower hidden under the ethernet module to make 3.3 V for the PIC and ethernet module from
>>> the
>>> 5 V.
>>> I modified the ethernet connecter and cut the traces that did put a resistor over the POE power lines.
>>> Thing gets slightly warm, that MQ4 detector has actually a light bulb like filament.
>>> On 12V it glows in the dark, one actually survived that 12 V (5 V is the nominal voltage)! Sensitivity is then damaged.
>>>
>>> I am testing free anonymous (no registering) upload site imagebam.com, seems to work OK.
>>>
>>> Circuit diagram:
>>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEPUSJB
>>>

>>> The C code was already published here last week.
>>>
>>> So it basically every few seconds sends UDP packets to 192.168.178.73 containing sensor current, gas concentration, and
>>> error
>>> messages
>>> (broken MQ4 filament, high gas level),
>>>
>>> The receiving end processes that data and forwards the data via UDP to 192.168.178.95 that analyses the data and gives voice
>>> messages
>>> via the local sound system, so no stupid beeps, could even work remote if needed.
>>> It also gives alarm if no sensor messages received for some time.
>>>

>>imagebam doesn't load for me?

PS
uploaded it all as .tgz to my website:
panteltje.nl/pub/gas_pic_udp-0.1.tgz

Untar:
tar -zxvf gas_pic_udp-0.1.tgz

Re: POE gas detector ready, housing, circuit diagram, pictures

<VGr1N.132216$%WT8.94359@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131577&group=sci.electronics.design#131577

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: BobEngel...@comcast.net (Bob Engelhardt)
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 09:29:25 -0400
 by: Bob Engelhardt - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 13:29 UTC

On 11/2/2023 11:10 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
[...]
>> imagebam doesn't load for me?
>
> Just tried it again from an other browser (ow chromium) and and other IP addres, no problem.
> Anybody else problems?

It does load, but ... so slowly that I didn't wait for it.