Truly simple systems... require infinite testing. -- Norman Augustine

tech / sci.electronics.design / Flash droughts are likely to become increasingly common

SubjectAuthor
* Flash droughts are likely to become increasingly commonFred Bloggs
`* Re: Flash droughts are likely to become increasingly commonjohn larkin
 +* Re: Flash droughts are likely to become increasingly commonJoerg
 |`- Re: Flash droughts are likely to become increasingly commonjohn larkin
 `- Re: Flash droughts are likely to become increasingly commonAnthony William Sloman

1
Flash droughts are likely to become increasingly common

<265e6bea-1583-486e-8d64-921632b00cf3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131514&group=sci.electronics.design#131514

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:14:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Flash droughts are likely to become increasingly common
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 16:14 UTC

'Her findings, which are published in the Advances in Atmospheric Sciences journal, show that flash droughts are usually driven by anomalously low relative humidity and rainfall. Curiously, she found that heatwaves do not cause flash droughts but flash droughts can trigger heatwaves.'

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/nov/02/flash-droughts-increasing-climate-weather-wildfires

What is a flash drought? An earth scientist explains

https://theconversation.com/what-is-a-flash-drought-an-earth-scientist-explains-194141

Re: Flash droughts are likely to become increasingly common

<3t08ki51s44qhkunodtbqa038op6sfuurp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131523&group=sci.electronics.design#131523

From: jl...@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 13:37:37 -0700
 by: john larkin - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 20:37 UTC

On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:14:34 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>'Her findings, which are published in the Advances in Atmospheric Sciences journal, show that flash droughts are usually driven by anomalously low relative humidity and rainfall. Curiously, she found that heatwaves do not cause flash droughts but flash droughts can trigger heatwaves.'
>
>https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/nov/02/flash-droughts-increasing-climate-weather-wildfires
>
>What is a flash drought? An earth scientist explains
>
>https://theconversation.com/what-is-a-flash-drought-an-earth-scientist-explains-194141

Like derechos, polar vortexes, bomb cyclones, ozone holes, ARkStorms,
dunkelflautes, firenados, atmospheric lakes, heatflation, thundersnow,
bombogenesis, pogonips, snowpocalypse, stormquakes, williwaws .

We never had any of those 50 years ago, and they are killing us now.

Re: Flash droughts are likely to become increasingly common

<kqij7gFo6eeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131524&group=sci.electronics.design#131524

From: new...@analogconsultants.com (Joerg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 14:38:56 -0700
 by: Joerg - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 21:38 UTC

On 11/2/23 1:37 PM, john larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:14:34 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 'Her findings, which are published in the Advances in Atmospheric Sciences journal, show that flash droughts are usually driven by anomalously low relative humidity and rainfall. Curiously, she found that heatwaves do not cause flash droughts but flash droughts can trigger heatwaves.'
>>
>> https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/nov/02/flash-droughts-increasing-climate-weather-wildfires
>>
>> What is a flash drought? An earth scientist explains
>>
>> https://theconversation.com/what-is-a-flash-drought-an-earth-scientist-explains-194141
>
> Like derechos, polar vortexes, bomb cyclones, ozone holes, ARkStorms,
> dunkelflautes, firenados, atmospheric lakes, heatflation, thundersnow,
> bombogenesis, pogonips, snowpocalypse, stormquakes, williwaws .
>
> We never had any of those 50 years ago, and they are killing us now.

What's really killing us is cheese puffs and couches.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Flash droughts are likely to become increasingly common

<je78ki91ecln29itvhcmfm1hsl9bm7kjii@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131525&group=sci.electronics.design#131525

From: jl...@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 15:08:49 -0700
 by: john larkin - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 22:08 UTC

On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 14:38:56 -0700, Joerg <news@analogconsultants.com>
wrote:

>On 11/2/23 1:37 PM, john larkin wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:14:34 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 'Her findings, which are published in the Advances in Atmospheric Sciences journal, show that flash droughts are usually driven by anomalously low relative humidity and rainfall. Curiously, she found that heatwaves do not cause flash droughts but flash droughts can trigger heatwaves.'
>>>
>>> https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/nov/02/flash-droughts-increasing-climate-weather-wildfires
>>>
>>> What is a flash drought? An earth scientist explains
>>>
>>> https://theconversation.com/what-is-a-flash-drought-an-earth-scientist-explains-194141
>>
>> Like derechos, polar vortexes, bomb cyclones, ozone holes, ARkStorms,
>> dunkelflautes, firenados, atmospheric lakes, heatflation, thundersnow,
>> bombogenesis, pogonips, snowpocalypse, stormquakes, williwaws .
>>
>> We never had any of those 50 years ago, and they are killing us now.
>>

>What's really killing us is cheese puffs and couches.

Mobile phones.

Re: Flash droughts are likely to become increasingly common

<f8b4da39-69b3-45e3-a070-78082769a36bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131529&group=sci.electronics.design#131529

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 21:30:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 04:30 UTC

On Friday, November 3, 2023 at 7:37:55 AM UTC+11, john larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:14:34 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >'Her findings, which are published in the Advances in Atmospheric Sciences journal, show that flash droughts are usually driven by anomalously low relative humidity and rainfall. Curiously, she found that heatwaves do not cause flash droughts but flash droughts can trigger heatwaves.'
> >
> >https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/nov/02/flash-droughts-increasing-climate-weather-wildfires
> >
> >What is a flash drought? An earth scientist explains
> >
> >https://theconversation.com/what-is-a-flash-drought-an-earth-scientist-explains-194141
> Like derechos, polar vortexes, bomb cyclones, ozone holes, ARkStorms,
> dunkelflautes, firenados, atmospheric lakes, heatflation, thundersnow,
> bombogenesis, pogonips, snowpocalypse, stormquakes, williwaws .
>
> We never had any of those 50 years ago, and they are killing us now.

We hadn't burnt as much fossil carbon fifty years ago, and dumped it in the atmosphere, The CO2 levels was 330ppm back then and it's 412 ppm now.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney