From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Answering longstanding questions about jets from black holes
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 05:09:46 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 05:09 UTC

Answering longstanding questions about jets from black holes
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/11/231114143652.htm
The one thing everyone knows about black holes is that absolutely everything nearby gets sucked into them. Almost everything, it turns out. Astrophysicists have now determined conclusively that energy close to the event horizon of black hole M87* is pushing outward, not inward.

Told you so

Re: Answering longstanding questions about jets from black holes

<f3252bb3-cf51-42b6-a0d3-b2b652e122aen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131884&group=sci.electronics.design#131884

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 21:54:43 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 05:54 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 4:09:56 PM UTC+11, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> Answering longstanding questions about jets from black holes
> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/11/231114143652.htm
> The one thing everyone knows about black holes is that absolutely everything nearby gets sucked into them. Almost everything, it turns out. Astrophysicists have now determined conclusively that energy close to the event horizon of black hole M87* is pushing outward, not inward.
>
> Told you so

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

A black hole is absolutely closed off from the rest of the universe, but it still has a gravitational field, and that field can rotate and influence nearby masses outside the black hole - frame dragging. The rotational energy embedded in a rotating black can thus escape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_black_hole

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Answering longstanding questions about jets from black holes

<uj29dq$1ngfq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131887&group=sci.electronics.design#131887

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:18:11 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:18 UTC

On 15/11/2023 05:09, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> Answering longstanding questions about jets from black holes
> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/11/231114143652.htm
> The one thing everyone knows about black holes is that absolutely everything nearby gets sucked into them.

That is the Disneyfied world view of things. but completely wrong and
always has been. If the sun turned into a BH plantary orbits would be
largely unaffected. The main difference would be that whereas the sun is
slightly oblate due to its rotation the BH would be spinning so much
faster and be to all intents an purposes a gravitational point source.

Dr Who got it more nearly right with a prison set up inside the
innermost stable orbit around a BH with a power source to keep it there.
Working title "The Impossible Planet".

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/K37_Gem_5

> Almost everything, it turns out. Astrophysicists have now determined conclusively that energy close to the event horizon of black hole M87* is pushing outward, not inward.
>
> Told you so

Actually they are misrepresenting current knowledge woefully and failing
to acknowledge some very important and much earlier work on the subject.

The mechanism that powers BH jets was first explained in the late 1970's
by Blandford & Znajeck (1977). It also works in a similar but smaller
way on stellar mass BH the likes of SS433 and most recently observed
during star formation in molecular clouds. Intro level here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blandford–Znajek_process

Original paper:

https://academic.oup.com/mnras/article/179/3/433/962905

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_433