Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 23:13:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Human Ancestors: Ethical Question That Nobody Will Touch
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 06:13 UTC

Would you support the cloning of an unambiguous
Neanderthal?

What about a Homo erectus?

Denisovan?

My huge problem is that with the current perception
of these peoples being "Different Species," human
rights as we like to believe in them would not exist.

I mean, we cage Chimpanzees... right?

Experimentation still takes place on Chimpanzees.

Not everywhere and not to the extent that it once
occurred but, it's still legal in many place.

People hunt Chimpanzees. There's a thriving "Bush
Meat" market. Yes, people eat Chimpanzees.

It's okay though, they're a different species... an
evolutionarily "Lower" species...

Well the same would be true for all archaic types,
would it not?

So, yes, I have zero difficulty imagining a scenario
where people see organ harvesting, medical
experimentation or even slavery as okay, because
we are talking about a different species.

Officially.

"Hey, we chain up dogs and make horses work for
us, why not these other lower life forms?"

I'd go further though.

I'd have a massive problem with anyone cloning a
member of these past populations even just for
study. You might as well intentionally breed retarded
people, or blind people for study.

Would you think that's okay? Because I don't.

And I know this isn't a popular topic. I've brought it
up myself a number of times, going back a long time,
and most replies were along the lines of "Hey I saw
a Star Trek episode where..."

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/679763679359680512

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Human Ancestors: Ethical Question That Nobody Will Touch