From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Changing of the seasons
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:00:56 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 02:00 UTC

I've put away the cream sunscreen in favor of sticks -- stick
sunscreen is easier to put on than petroleum jelly, and it stays put
until I wash it off, while grease has to be renewed at intervals.

Not that it gets cold enough to matter a whole bunch around here.

Several days ago, I wore sweat pants over my tights for the first
time, but that was because I didn't want to strip down to put on
another pair of tights.

For my latest ride, I brought my capilene tights out of storage. It's
past time to darn my wool, silk, and alpaca tights.

Yesterday the new basket for the Fugi came. When I went to pick it
up, I took the Pure in to have a mirror attached, something that I've
been intending to do for months. The mechanic attached it while the
clerk was selling me the basket, and didn't charge. All were alarmed
that I'd brought the Pure in, fearing that I'd given up on the Fuji.

I told them that I can't ride the Fuji in an ankle-length skirt.

I ordered a new basket because I'd broken the hangers off my old one.

The new one came with cable ties and hose clamps. Where the undamaged
basket has a piece of steel wrapped around the rack, the new one has a
clip to keep the basket folded.

I think I will put the new basket on the Pure, and keep it folded flat
when not in use. I'll use the hose clamps on the real bike and the
cable ties on the flatfoot.

Don't know when I'll get the time. I spent today making devilled
eggs, and tomorrow we are driving to Frankfort and back. Have to get
back by five o'clock on account of sunset.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Changing of the seasons

<snn3hg$1iu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132&group=rec.bicycles.misc#132

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Re: Changing of the seasons
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 04:30:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 04:30 UTC

On 2021-11-25, Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> I've put away the cream sunscreen in favor of sticks -- stick
> sunscreen is easier to put on than petroleum jelly, and it stays put
> until I wash it off, while grease has to be renewed at intervals.
>
> Not that it gets cold enough to matter a whole bunch around here.
>
> Several days ago, I wore sweat pants over my tights for the first
> time, but that was because I didn't want to strip down to put on
> another pair of tights.
>
> For my latest ride, I brought my capilene tights out of storage. It's
> past time to darn my wool, silk, and alpaca tights.
>
> Yesterday the new basket for the Fugi came. When I went to pick it
> up, I took the Pure in to have a mirror attached, something that I've
> been intending to do for months. The mechanic attached it while the
> clerk was selling me the basket, and didn't charge. All were alarmed
> that I'd brought the Pure in, fearing that I'd given up on the Fuji.
>
> I told them that I can't ride the Fuji in an ankle-length skirt.
>

> I ordered a new basket because I'd broken the hangers off my old one.
>
> The new one came with cable ties and hose clamps. Where the undamaged
> basket has a piece of steel wrapped around the rack, the new one has a
> clip to keep the basket folded.
>
> I think I will put the new basket on the Pure, and keep it folded flat
> when not in use. I'll use the hose clamps on the real bike and the
> cable ties on the flatfoot.

I wonder if a couple clothes pins might also work, although they would have
the problem of being easy to knock off.

That's what we use for bread bags, nowaday.

pH

> Don't know when I'll get the time. I spent today making devilled
> eggs, and tomorrow we are driving to Frankfort and back. Have to get
> back by five o'clock on account of sunset.

Re: Changing of the seasons

<r3hoqgp0e6nas37cl2rq8o1dsnv89ohccg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=140&group=rec.bicycles.misc#140

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 23:50:28 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 04:50 UTC

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:00:56 -0500, Joy Beeson
<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> I ordered a new basket because I'd broken the hangers off my old one.
>
> The new one came with cable ties and hose clamps. Where the undamaged
> basket has a piece of steel wrapped around the rack, the new one has a
> clip to keep the basket folded.
>
> I think I will put the new basket on the Pure, and keep it folded flat
> when not in use. I'll use the hose clamps on the real bike and the
> cable ties on the flatfoot.

I measured the basket against the rack and wrapped the rod of the rack
with handlebar tape in three places, then basted the rack in place
with bungee-cord cow hitches and put hose clamps over the handlebar
tape. I used the cable ties to secure the basket to the three rack
stays.

Then, having noticed that the mangled hanger looked very like the clip
on the new basket, I used needle-nose pliers to bend it around the
rack rod, then squashed it snug with slip-joint pliers, and it ended
up looking exactly like the hanger on the undamaged basket.

Later, I made a special trip to Autozone and bought a bag of four hose
clamps, three of which I shall, sooner or later, use to attach the new
basket to the flatfoot.

I never did find a picture showing how one is supposed to use the
findings. Lots and lots of pictures of attached baskets, but all were
from just the wrong angle. I did find a video purporting to be
instructions, but instead of showing me one picture that would tell me
all I needed to know, it proposed to yip-yap at me for half an hour,
and errored out immediately after showing a picture of three hose
clamps and three cable ties, and observing that one cable tie was
smaller than the other two.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Re: Changing of the seasons

<soimjk$eio$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=141&group=rec.bicycles.misc#141

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 10:41:40 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 15:41 UTC

On 12/4/2021 11:50 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:00:56 -0500, Joy Beeson
> <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I ordered a new basket because I'd broken the hangers off my old one.
>>
>> The new one came with cable ties and hose clamps. Where the undamaged
>> basket has a piece of steel wrapped around the rack, the new one has a
>> clip to keep the basket folded.
>>
>> I think I will put the new basket on the Pure, and keep it folded flat
>> when not in use. I'll use the hose clamps on the real bike and the
>> cable ties on the flatfoot.
>
> I measured the basket against the rack and wrapped the rod of the rack
> with handlebar tape in three places, then basted the rack in place
> with bungee-cord cow hitches and put hose clamps over the handlebar
> tape. I used the cable ties to secure the basket to the three rack
> stays.
>
> Then, having noticed that the mangled hanger looked very like the clip
> on the new basket, I used needle-nose pliers to bend it around the
> rack rod, then squashed it snug with slip-joint pliers, and it ended
> up looking exactly like the hanger on the undamaged basket.
>
> Later, I made a special trip to Autozone and bought a bag of four hose
> clamps, three of which I shall, sooner or later, use to attach the new
> basket to the flatfoot.
>
> I never did find a picture showing how one is supposed to use the
> findings. Lots and lots of pictures of attached baskets, but all were
> from just the wrong angle. I did find a video purporting to be
> instructions, but instead of showing me one picture that would tell me
> all I needed to know, it proposed to yip-yap at me for half an hour,
> and errored out immediately after showing a picture of three hose
> clamps and three cable ties, and observing that one cable tie was
> smaller than the other two.

If you posted some photos here and to r.b.tech, we might be able to give
some good advice.

At least, until the thread descended into off-topic political arguments!
;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski