The devil finds work for idle circuits to do.

tech / sci.engr.joining.welding / Re: More silly questions TIG.

SubjectAuthor
* More silly questions TIG.F Murtz
+* Re: More silly questions TIG.John B.
|`* Re: More silly questions TIG.F Murtz
| `- Re: More silly questions TIG.Jim Wilkins
+- Re: More silly questions TIG.randy333
`* Re: More silly questions TIG.Snag
 `* Re: More silly questions TIG.zardo96
  `* Re: More silly questions TIG.Snag
   `- Re: More silly questions TIG.Jim Wilkins

1
More silly questions TIG.

<c1uaJ.134507$z%4.131258@fx37.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#131

Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Subject: More silly questions TIG.
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 17:10:13 +1100
 by: F Murtz - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 06:10 UTC

Every time I strike arc The tungsten turns to a blob.I am trying steel
with argon.When ever I ask google it goes on about foot pedals ,high
frequency sparks and all manners of crap .
I just have an inverter with no bells or whistles just a hand piece with
a knob to turn gas on, and I connected tungsten positive.
Any one help?

Re: More silly questions TIG.

<upskmgpubqhtilom9odnp7u2khjclnba4a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#132

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Subject: Re: More silly questions TIG.
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 13:38:36 +0700
 by: John B. - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 06:38 UTC

On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 17:10:13 +1100, F Murtz <haggisz@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Every time I strike arc The tungsten turns to a blob.I am trying steel
>with argon.When ever I ask google it goes on about foot pedals ,high
>frequency sparks and all manners of crap .
>I just have an inverter with no bells or whistles just a hand piece with
>a knob to turn gas on, and I connected tungsten positive.
>Any one help?

You might try https://weldersmanual.com/tig-welding-polarity/ as a
beginning.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: More silly questions TIG.

<fdnlmglee3n9hvv3rlj0fk7ut5e3jkd3u5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#133

From: randy...@aol.com
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 10:12:28 -0400
 by: randy...@aol.com - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 14:12 UTC

What size tungsten are you using and at what current?

Randy

wrote:

>Every time I strike arc The tungsten turns to a blob.I am trying steel
>with argon.When ever I ask google it goes on about foot pedals ,high
>frequency sparks and all manners of crap .
>I just have an inverter with no bells or whistles just a hand piece with
>a knob to turn gas on, and I connected tungsten positive.
>Any one help?

Re: More silly questions TIG.

<skf391$kv7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#134

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 12:48:21 -0500
 by: Snag - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 17:48 UTC

On 10/16/2021 1:10 AM, F Murtz wrote:
> Every time I strike arc The tungsten turns to a blob.I am trying steel
> with argon.When ever I ask google it goes on about foot pedals ,high
> frequency sparks and all manners of crap .
> I just have an inverter with no bells or whistles just a hand piece with
> a knob to turn gas on, and I connected tungsten positive.
> Any one help?

Go to YouTube and look up the Welding Tips and Tricks channel . Look
there for his video(s) on "scratch start TIG welding" .
--
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !

Re: More silly questions TIG.

<p5emmg1m3ed1eqoe2pplk3dvm20dt8ob8u@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#135

From: zard...@delete.com
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 13:43:05 -0700
 by: zard...@delete.com - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 20:43 UTC

On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 12:48:21 -0500, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:

>On 10/16/2021 1:10 AM, F Murtz wrote:
>> Every time I strike arc The tungsten turns to a blob.I am trying steel
>> with argon.When ever I ask google it goes on about foot pedals ,high
>> frequency sparks and all manners of crap .
>> I just have an inverter with no bells or whistles just a hand piece with
>> a knob to turn gas on, and I connected tungsten positive.
>> Any one help?
>
>Go to YouTube and look up the Welding Tips and Tricks channel . Look
>there for his video(s) on "scratch start TIG welding" .

Or you might try electrode NEGATIVE .

Re: More silly questions TIG.

<skfus8$fs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#136

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 20:39:09 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 01:39 UTC

On 10/16/2021 3:43 PM, zardo96@delete.com wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 12:48:21 -0500, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/16/2021 1:10 AM, F Murtz wrote:
>>> Every time I strike arc The tungsten turns to a blob.I am trying steel
>>> with argon.When ever I ask google it goes on about foot pedals ,high
>>> frequency sparks and all manners of crap .
>>> I just have an inverter with no bells or whistles just a hand piece with
>>> a knob to turn gas on, and I connected tungsten positive.
>>> Any one help?
>>
>> Go to YouTube and look up the Welding Tips and Tricks channel . Look
>> there for his video(s) on "scratch start TIG welding" .
>

> Or you might try electrode NEGATIVE .

Well , you must be talking to the OP , because my TIG welder is and
always has been set up with the torch hooked to the negative . It also
has all those bells and whistles the OP was lamenting the lack of .
--
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !

Re: More silly questions TIG.

<skh2g9$mgn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=137&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#137

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 07:46:59 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 11:46 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:skfus8$fs$1@dont-email.me...

On 10/16/2021 3:43 PM, zardo96@delete.com wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 12:48:21 -0500, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/16/2021 1:10 AM, F Murtz wrote:
>>> Every time I strike arc The tungsten turns to a blob.I am trying steel
>>> with argon.When ever I ask google it goes on about foot pedals ,high
>>> frequency sparks and all manners of crap .
>>> I just have an inverter with no bells or whistles just a hand piece with
>>> a knob to turn gas on, and I connected tungsten positive.
>>> Any one help?
>>
>> Go to YouTube and look up the Welding Tips and Tricks channel . Look
>> there for his video(s) on "scratch start TIG welding" .
>

> Or you might try electrode NEGATIVE .

Well , you must be talking to the OP , because my TIG welder is and
always has been set up with the torch hooked to the negative . It also
has all those bells and whistles the OP was lamenting the lack of .

Snag
Let's Go Brandon !

-----------------------
I have a Square Wave stick/TIG welder with a switch that select DC Electrode
Negative (Straight Polarity), AC, or DC Electrode Positive (Reverse
Polarity). I was taught to TIG weld steel with the electrode negative, so
the heat of the arc goes mainly into the work, and only switch to positive
to ball the tip of the tungsten before welding aluminum with AC.

The arc is negative electrons that deposit their energy where they hit, not
so much from where they leave.

Re: More silly questions TIG.

<bp6bJ.202564$o45.29945@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=138&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#138

Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:06:29 +1100
 by: F Murtz - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 04:06 UTC

On 16/10/21 5:38 pm, John B. wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 17:10:13 +1100, F Murtz <haggisz@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Every time I strike arc The tungsten turns to a blob.I am trying steel
>> with argon.When ever I ask google it goes on about foot pedals ,high
>> frequency sparks and all manners of crap .
>> I just have an inverter with no bells or whistles just a hand piece with
>> a knob to turn gas on, and I connected tungsten positive.
>> Any one help?
>
> You might try https://weldersmanual.com/tig-welding-polarity/ as a
> beginning.

Eureka!! negative, now alluz I got to do is figgur out current and
how to get a 79 and a half year old to maintain a steady arc to a
miniscule exactitude

Re: More silly questions TIG.

<skjjda$qsg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=139&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#139

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 06:47:48 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:47 UTC

"F Murtz" wrote in message news:bp6bJ.202564$o45.29945@fx46.iad...

On 16/10/21 5:38 pm, John B. wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 17:10:13 +1100, F Murtz <haggisz@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Every time I strike arc The tungsten turns to a blob.I am trying steel
>> with argon.When ever I ask google it goes on about foot pedals ,high
>> frequency sparks and all manners of crap .
>> I just have an inverter with no bells or whistles just a hand piece with
>> a knob to turn gas on, and I connected tungsten positive.
>> Any one help?
>
> You might try https://weldersmanual.com/tig-welding-polarity/ as a
> beginning.

Eureka!! negative, now alluz I got to do is figgur out current and
how to get a 79 and a half year old to maintain a steady arc to a
miniscule exactitude

Ernie Leimkuehler suggested practicing by moving a washer around on paper
with a pencil without making a mark.