Type louder, please.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Pulse stretcher circuit needed

SubjectAuthor
* Pulse stretcher circuit neededbitrex
+* Re: Pulse stretcher circuit neededPhil Hobbs
|`* Re: Pulse stretcher circuit neededbitrex
| `* Re: Pulse stretcher circuit neededPhil Hobbs
|  `* Re: Pulse stretcher circuit neededbitrex
|   `- Re: Pulse stretcher circuit neededbitrex
+- Re: Pulse stretcher circuit neededLasse Langwadt Christensen
`- Re: Pulse stretcher circuit neededwhit3rd

1
Pulse stretcher circuit needed

<Nsr9N.39523$Jbsd.23094@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132227&group=sci.electronics.design#132227

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Subject: Pulse stretcher circuit needed
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 14:46:53 -0500
 by: bitrex - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:46 UTC

So I have a SPLC that's infrequently outputting ~ 100uS positive-going
pulses on a few pins, and on two of the lines I'd like to stretch that
pulse out to blink an LED for the user to confirm activity.

Here is my nice-to-have constraint, I have four comparators in the
device (GreenPAK) that aren't currently being used for anything.

The non-inverting inputs are on a pin with configurable
pull-up/pull-down/float, and the inverting input voltages can be
adjusted, along with selectable hysteresis from a couple low mV-range
values. And the outputs can be configured open-drain or push-pull, and
out to a pin, also with configurable pull-up/pull-down/float.

Unfortunately it's not possible to configure them as inverting so easily
so if this task can be done with just passives and non-inverting comps
with those constraints and put those comps to a purpose, that'd be
awesome, any suggestions appreciated!

Re: Pulse stretcher circuit needed

<069e221f-da67-5598-6186-ba2803602501@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132228&group=sci.electronics.design#132228

Subject: Re: Pulse stretcher circuit needed
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:05:21 -0500
 by: Phil Hobbs - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:05 UTC

On 2023-11-28 14:46, bitrex wrote:
> So I have a SPLC that's infrequently outputting ~ 100uS positive-going
> pulses on a few pins, and on two of the lines I'd like to stretch that
> pulse out to blink an LED for the user to confirm activity.
>
> Here is my nice-to-have constraint, I have four comparators in the
> device (GreenPAK) that aren't currently being used for anything.
>
> The non-inverting inputs are on a pin with configurable
> pull-up/pull-down/float, and the inverting input voltages can be
> adjusted, along with selectable hysteresis from a couple low mV-range
> values. And the outputs can be configured open-drain or push-pull, and
> out to a pin, also with configurable pull-up/pull-down/float.
>
> Unfortunately it's not possible to configure them as inverting so easily
> so if this task can be done with just passives and non-inverting comps
> with those constraints and put those comps to a purpose, that'd be
> awesome, any suggestions appreciated!
One approach would be to hang a parallel RC on one of the comparator's +
input pin, drive the LED from its output to ground, and turn it on by
transiently pulling the input high (use a second tristate pin if you
can't make the comparator input a logic output once in awhile).

3state (cap discharged)
output HIGH (100 us)
3state (cap discharges, LED ON)
3state (cap reaches threshold, LED OFF)
3state (cap discharges)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Pulse stretcher circuit needed

<18f0d091-28cb-46fe-a7aa-befd9262e9e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132230&group=sci.electronics.design#132230

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 12:12:24 -0800 (PST)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:12 UTC

tirsdag den 28. november 2023 kl. 20.47.00 UTC+1 skrev bitrex:
> So I have a SPLC that's infrequently outputting ~ 100uS positive-going
> pulses on a few pins, and on two of the lines I'd like to stretch that
> pulse out to blink an LED for the user to confirm activity.
>
> Here is my nice-to-have constraint, I have four comparators in the
> device (GreenPAK) that aren't currently being used for anything.
>
> The non-inverting inputs are on a pin with configurable
> pull-up/pull-down/float, and the inverting input voltages can be
> adjusted, along with selectable hysteresis from a couple low mV-range
> values. And the outputs can be configured open-drain or push-pull, and
> out to a pin, also with configurable pull-up/pull-down/float.
>
> Unfortunately it's not possible to configure them as inverting so easily
> so if this task can be done with just passives and non-inverting comps
> with those constraints and put those comps to a purpose, that'd be
> awesome, any suggestions appreciated!

diode into cap with pull-down, on comparator's + input

Re: Pulse stretcher circuit needed

<6Wr9N.32181$_f8d.4707@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132231&group=sci.electronics.design#132231

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:18:10 -0500
 by: bitrex - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:18 UTC

On 11/28/2023 3:05 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 2023-11-28 14:46, bitrex wrote:
>> So I have a SPLC that's infrequently outputting ~ 100uS positive-going
>> pulses on a few pins, and on two of the lines I'd like to stretch that
>> pulse out to blink an LED for the user to confirm activity.
>>
>> Here is my nice-to-have constraint, I have four comparators in the
>> device (GreenPAK) that aren't currently being used for anything.
>>
>> The non-inverting inputs are on a pin with configurable
>> pull-up/pull-down/float, and the inverting input voltages can be
>> adjusted, along with selectable hysteresis from a couple low mV-range
>> values. And the outputs can be configured open-drain or push-pull, and
>> out to a pin, also with configurable pull-up/pull-down/float.
>>
>> Unfortunately it's not possible to configure them as inverting so
>> easily so if this task can be done with just passives and
>> non-inverting comps with those constraints and put those comps to a
>> purpose, that'd be awesome, any suggestions appreciated!
> One approach would be to hang a parallel RC on one of the comparator's +
> input pin, drive the LED from its output to ground, and turn it on by
> transiently pulling the input high (use a second tristate pin if you
> can't make the comparator input a logic output once in awhile).

> 3state (cap discharged)
> output HIGH (100 us)
> 3state (cap discharges, LED ON)
> 3state (cap reaches threshold, LED OFF)
> 3state (cap discharges)
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs

Yeah, that's a neat idea! I hadn't thought of twiddling with the 3 state
pins. Pins can be configured as analog IO or digital IO but not analog
in/digital out, but I think I have some spare 3 state digital IO lines I
can abuse for that purpose.

There are two-comparator solutions that I've seen that first use an open
drain output to discharge a series RC but this saves some parts

Re: Pulse stretcher circuit needed

<uk5nvl$em5c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132233&group=sci.electronics.design#132233

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:01:26 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:od6syjf1KxeXNBVwDyMtVwAT/XM=
 by: Phil Hobbs - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:01 UTC

bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
> On 11/28/2023 3:05 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> On 2023-11-28 14:46, bitrex wrote:
>>> So I have a SPLC that's infrequently outputting ~ 100uS positive-going
>>> pulses on a few pins, and on two of the lines I'd like to stretch that
>>> pulse out to blink an LED for the user to confirm activity.
>>>
>>> Here is my nice-to-have constraint, I have four comparators in the
>>> device (GreenPAK) that aren't currently being used for anything.
>>>
>>> The non-inverting inputs are on a pin with configurable
>>> pull-up/pull-down/float, and the inverting input voltages can be
>>> adjusted, along with selectable hysteresis from a couple low mV-range
>>> values. And the outputs can be configured open-drain or push-pull, and
>>> out to a pin, also with configurable pull-up/pull-down/float.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately it's not possible to configure them as inverting so
>>> easily so if this task can be done with just passives and
>>> non-inverting comps with those constraints and put those comps to a
>>> purpose, that'd be awesome, any suggestions appreciated!
>> One approach would be to hang a parallel RC on one of the comparator's +
>> input pin, drive the LED from its output to ground, and turn it on by
>> transiently pulling the input high (use a second tristate pin if you
>> can't make the comparator input a logic output once in awhile).

>> 3state (cap discharged)
>> output HIGH (100 us)
>> 3state (cap discharges, LED ON)
>> 3state (cap reaches threshold, LED OFF)
>> 3state (cap discharges)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>>

> Yeah, that's a neat idea! I hadn't thought of twiddling with the 3 state
> pins. Pins can be configured as analog IO or digital IO but not analog
> in/digital out, but I think I have some spare 3 state digital IO lines I
> can abuse for that purpose.
>
> There are two-comparator solutions that I've seen that first use an open
> drain output to discharge a series RC but this saves some parts

You can do a bunch of semi-analog things like that by bodging the pull
up/down and 3state controls.

It’s sort of like the uC equivalent of the 555. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

Re: Pulse stretcher circuit needed

<hvv9N.77821$qqwd.19534@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132235&group=sci.electronics.design#132235

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:22:37 -0500
 by: bitrex - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 00:22 UTC

On 11/28/2023 5:01 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>>> One approach would be to hang a parallel RC on one of the comparator's +
>>> input pin, drive the LED from its output to ground, and turn it on by
>>> transiently pulling the input high (use a second tristate pin if you
>>> can't make the comparator input a logic output once in awhile).

>>> 3state (cap discharged)
>>> output HIGH (100 us)
>>> 3state (cap discharges, LED ON)
>>> 3state (cap reaches threshold, LED OFF)
>>> 3state (cap discharges)
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Phil Hobbs
>>>

>> Yeah, that's a neat idea! I hadn't thought of twiddling with the 3 state
>> pins. Pins can be configured as analog IO or digital IO but not analog
>> in/digital out, but I think I have some spare 3 state digital IO lines I
>> can abuse for that purpose.
>>
>> There are two-comparator solutions that I've seen that first use an open
>> drain output to discharge a series RC but this saves some parts
>>

> You can do a bunch of semi-analog things like that by bodging the pull
> up/down and 3state controls.
>
> It’s sort of like the uC equivalent of the 555. ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs

A hack I've used a couple times to squeeze a bit more logic out of these
(they don't have much, and AFAIK there's no VHDL-like compiler for most
of the chips so you're sometimes on your own on the minimization front),
is use the 3 state control as some extra decode logic between a state
machine and an open-drain output; the way these chips are if the
product-of-sums equation for the active-high formulation of the logic
has an isolated term, you can send that one to the the 3-state control
and then make that term a "don't care" for some inputs of the active-low
truth table.

Re: Pulse stretcher circuit needed

<Exv9N.77822$qqwd.49456@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132236&group=sci.electronics.design#132236

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:25:08 -0500
 by: bitrex - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 00:25 UTC

On 11/28/2023 7:22 PM, bitrex wrote:
> On 11/28/2023 5:01 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's a neat idea! I hadn't thought of twiddling with the 3 state
>>> pins. Pins can be configured as analog IO or digital IO but not analog
>>> in/digital out, but I think I have some spare 3 state digital IO lines I
>>> can abuse for that purpose.
>>>
>>> There are two-comparator solutions that I've seen that first use an open
>>> drain output to discharge a series RC but this saves some parts
>>>

>> You can do a bunch of semi-analog things like that by bodging the pull
>> up/down and 3state controls.
>>
>> It’s sort of like the uC equivalent of the 555. ;)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>>

> A hack I've used a couple times to squeeze a bit more logic out of these
> (they don't have much, and AFAIK there's no VHDL-like compiler for most
> of the chips so you're sometimes on your own on the minimization front),
> is use the 3 state control

Or rather toggle the pin from an open-drain output to an input, which
effectively also just makes it high impedance, if nothing is actually
connected to the input internally

Re: Pulse stretcher circuit needed

<49125bc9-f924-4761-a8d6-41ffc199049fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132237&group=sci.electronics.design#132237

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 17:14:28 -0800 (PST)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 01:14 UTC

On Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at 11:47:00 AM UTC-8, bitrex wrote:
> So I have a SPLC that's infrequently outputting ~ 100uS positive-going
> pulses on a few pins, and on two of the lines I'd like to stretch that
> pulse out to blink an LED for the user to confirm activity.

Crude approach: use the positive pulse to charge a capacitor (through a diode),
and bleed a microamp of capacitor current through a resistor to a darlington base (emitter grounded).
The darlington collector then drives your LED until the capacitor goes flat (base resistor to GND
recommended).

Obviously, if V_pulse is high enough, the darlington could be an NMOS, or
if it's low, the darlington could be one of those 1000-beta transistors that
are in the catalogs but never useful.