This login session: $13.76, but for you $11.88.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

SubjectAuthor
* Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Dan Purgert
+* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Phil Hobbs
|`* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Dan Purgert
| `* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?piglet
|  `- Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Phil Hobbs
+* Re:Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Martin Rid
|`* Re:Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Wandere
| +- Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Phil Hobbs
| `* Re: Re:Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Jeroen Belleman
|  +- Re: Re:Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Don
|  +- Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?john larkin
|  `* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Dan Purgert
|   `- Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Don
+* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?JM
|+- Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?JM
|+* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?john larkin
||`* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?JM
|| `* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?john larkin
||  `* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?John Smiht
||   `- Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?John Larkin
|`* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Dan Purgert
| `* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?John Larkin
|  `* Re: Raspberry Pi killing competition (Was: Spice Simulators -Dan Purgert
|   `* Re: Raspberry Pi killing competition (Was: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspiceJohn Larkin
|    +- Re: Raspberry Pi killing competition (Was: Spice Simulators - ngspiceLasse Langwadt Christensen
|    `- Re: Raspberry Pi killing competition (Was: Spice Simulators -Dan Purgert
+* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Jan Panteltje
|`* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?John Larkin
| `* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Phil Hobbs
|  +- Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?John Larkin
|  `- Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Jan Panteltje
`* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Dan Purgert
 `* Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Uwe Bonnes
  +- Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Phil Hobbs
  `- Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?Jeroen Belleman

Pages:12
Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<slrnuo8m8s.clb.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132866&group=sci.electronics.design#132866

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:24:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:24 UTC

I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on
seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I
might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather than
something I get paid for).

Looked it up, and seems ltspice is a windows/mac application, whereas
the native equivalent on linux would be ngspice. To avoid starting with
one and switching because it's "bad" later on; has anyone used
ngspice and found it a decent alternative to ltspice?

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<um1m4k$14ek0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132867&group=sci.electronics.design#132867

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:37:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Be2eAG/N5hO9ubHo9Uf/+ZM++Ec=
 by: Phil Hobbs - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:37 UTC

Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
> I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on
> seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I
> might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather than
> something I get paid for).
>
> Looked it up, and seems ltspice is a windows/mac application, whereas
> the native equivalent on linux would be ngspice. To avoid starting with
> one and switching because it's "bad" later on; has anyone used
> ngspice and found it a decent alternative to ltspice?

LTspice installs and runs well under wine in linux. (Use winetricks. )

I’ve been using it that way for years and years.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

Re:Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<um1sb3$15f3s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132869&group=sci.electronics.design#132869

From: martin_r...@verison.net (Martin Rid)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 12:23:43 -0500 (EST)
 by: Martin Rid - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 17:23 UTC

Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> Wrote in message:r
> I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based onseeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something Imight find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather thansomething I get paid for).Looked it up, and seems ltspice is a windows/mac application, whereasthe native equivalent on linux would be ngspice. To avoid starting withone and switching because it's "bad" later on; has anyone usedngspice and found it a decent alternative to ltspice? -- |_|O|_||_|_|O| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert|O|O|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1 E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860

Ltspice is pretty good, the interface is a little clumsy, but
once you get past that it's ok. You can plop down your own text
models and connect them to the components with out much trouble.

Cheers
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

Re:Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<128004@dontemail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132871&group=sci.electronics.design#132871

From: don...@emailme.com (Wandere)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 03:14:46
 by: Wandere - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 03:14 UTC

The difficulty with the LTspice interface is that it uses "verb" mode instead of "noun" mode. In other words, you need to select the action and then the object, instead of the object and then the action. This differs from how a lot of other programs work. Also LTspice doesn't do schematics for PCB Layout, so you are concurrently using another schematic layout program which is a pain. I had changed LTspice's hotkeys to match Altium's to avoid hitting the wrong keys.

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<45e093d2-9d63-508f-5d0e-125d31b7a8bd@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132873&group=sci.electronics.design#132873

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:25:48 -0500
 by: Phil Hobbs - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 20:25 UTC

On 2023-12-21 03:14, Wanderer wrote:
> The difficulty with the LTspice interface is that it uses "verb" mode instead of "noun" mode. In other words, you need to select the action and then the object, instead of the object and then the action. This differs from how a lot of other programs work. Also LTspice doesn't do schematics for PCB Layout, so you are concurrently using another schematic layout program which is a pain. I had changed LTspice's hotkeys to match Altium's to avoid hitting the wrong keys.

I just use hotkeys for everything in LTspice.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Re:Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<um297j$17fb9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132874&group=sci.electronics.design#132874

From: jer...@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Re:Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:04:16 +0100
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 21:04 UTC

On 12/21/23 03:14, Wanderer wrote:
> The difficulty with the LTspice interface is that it uses "verb" mode instead of "noun" mode. In other words, you need to select the action and then the object, instead of the object and then the action. This differs from how a lot of other programs work. Also LTspice doesn't do schematics for PCB Layout, so you are concurrently using another schematic layout program which is a pain. I had changed LTspice's hotkeys to match Altium's to avoid hitting the wrong keys.

Schematics for PCB layout have requirements so different from
schematics for simulations that I don't even *want* to use the
same tool for both.

I have KiCad for one and LTspice for the other, both on a Linux
machine. I never simulate complete designs; only sections that
need closer attention.

It appears KiCads's eeschema can be used as a schematic entry
front-end for ngspice. I never yet bothered.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: Re:Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<20231221b@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132875&group=sci.electronics.design#132875

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 21:40:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 21:40 UTC

Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> Wanderer wrote:
>> The difficulty with the LTspice interface is that it uses "verb" mode instead
>> "noun" mode. In other words, you need to select the action and then the object,
>> instead of the object and then the action. This differs from how a lot of other
>> programs work. Also LTspice doesn't do schematics for PCB Layout, so you are
>> concurrently using another schematic layout program which is a pain. I had
>> changed LTspice's hotkeys to match Altium's to avoid hitting the wrong keys.
>
> Schematics for PCB layout have requirements so different from
> schematics for simulations that I don't even *want* to use the
> same tool for both.
>
> I have KiCad for one and LTspice for the other, both on a Linux
> machine. I never simulate complete designs; only sections that
> need closer attention.
>
> It appears KiCads's eeschema can be used as a schematic entry
> front-end for ngspice. I never yet bothered.

Allow me to confirm how KiCad's eeschema can indeed be used as a
schematic entry front-end for ngspice.

As alluded to above by Wanderer, KiCad keeps me from doing double work.
eeschema is also more intuitive, comprehensive, and easier for me to
use. YMMV.

Danke,

--
Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<huf9oihp1jojoreg51g3uhvf213h86arpa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132877&group=sci.electronics.design#132877

From: sunaecoN...@gmail.com (JM)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:01:13 +0000
 by: JM - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:01 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:24:34 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
wrote:

>I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on
>seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I
>might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather than
>something I get paid for).
>
>Looked it up, and seems ltspice is a windows/mac application, whereas
>the native equivalent on linux would be ngspice. To avoid starting with
>one and switching because it's "bad" later on; has anyone used
>ngspice and found it a decent alternative to ltspice?

Use Spectrum Software's Micro-Cap (latest version is 12.2.05) instead
of either of the above. Although popular, unless you want to simulate
Linear Technology's controller IC's, I cannot see any reason why
anyone with any sense would use it.

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<rvg9oiht97r8cb4995dfg57donb6k1m2nl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132878&group=sci.electronics.design#132878

From: sunaecoN...@gmail.com (JM)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:03:30 +0000
 by: JM - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:03 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:01:13 +0000, JM <sunaecoNoSpam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:24:34 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on
>>seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I
>>might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather than
>>something I get paid for).
>>
>>Looked it up, and seems ltspice is a windows/mac application, whereas
>>the native equivalent on linux would be ngspice. To avoid starting with
>>one and switching because it's "bad" later on; has anyone used
>>ngspice and found it a decent alternative to ltspice?
>
>Use Spectrum Software's Micro-Cap (latest version is 12.2.05) instead
>of either of the above. Although popular, unless you want to simulate
>Linear Technology's controller IC's, I cannot see any reason why
>anyone with any sense would use it.

(Just to be clear I'm referring to LTspice.)

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<53h9oil7ok4hf01uoci3f9ov8s9t8vj6vv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132879&group=sci.electronics.design#132879

From: jl...@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:07:05 -0800
 by: john larkin - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:07 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:04:16 +0100, Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

>On 12/21/23 03:14, Wanderer wrote:
>> The difficulty with the LTspice interface is that it uses "verb" mode instead of "noun" mode. In other words, you need to select the action and then the object, instead of the object and then the action. This differs from how a lot of other programs work. Also LTspice doesn't do schematics for PCB Layout, so you are concurrently using another schematic layout program which is a pain. I had changed LTspice's hotkeys to match Altium's to avoid hitting the wrong keys.
>
>Schematics for PCB layout have requirements so different from
>schematics for simulations that I don't even *want* to use the
>same tool for both.
>
>I have KiCad for one and LTspice for the other, both on a Linux
>machine. I never simulate complete designs; only sections that
>need closer attention.
>
>It appears KiCads's eeschema can be used as a schematic entry
>front-end for ngspice. I never yet bothered.
>
>Jeroen Belleman

I agree. I only Spice subcircuits and don't use the same parts as will
be on the PCB.

Spice happens way before the PCB design.

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<qli9oi511gv5pg6433liqq25o9kqaf8vfl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132880&group=sci.electronics.design#132880

From: jl...@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:33:42 -0800
 by: john larkin - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:33 UTC

wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:24:34 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on
>>seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I
>>might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather than
>>something I get paid for).
>>
>>Looked it up, and seems ltspice is a windows/mac application, whereas
>>the native equivalent on linux would be ngspice. To avoid starting with
>>one and switching because it's "bad" later on; has anyone used
>>ngspice and found it a decent alternative to ltspice?
>
>Use Spectrum Software's Micro-Cap (latest version is 12.2.05) instead
>of either of the above. Although popular, unless you want to simulate
>Linear Technology's controller IC's, I cannot see any reason why
>anyone with any sense would use it.

I have 1616 LT Spice sim files in my project folders on this PC. I
must be really dumb.

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<j8j9oi9otkins06c6fpuejtu47k2jjicv0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132881&group=sci.electronics.design#132881

From: sunaecoN...@gmail.com (JM)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:41:28 +0000
 by: JM - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:41 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:33:42 -0800, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:01:13 +0000, JM <sunaecoNoSpam@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:24:34 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on
>>>seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I
>>>might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather than
>>>something I get paid for).
>>>
>>>Looked it up, and seems ltspice is a windows/mac application, whereas
>>>the native equivalent on linux would be ngspice. To avoid starting with
>>>one and switching because it's "bad" later on; has anyone used
>>>ngspice and found it a decent alternative to ltspice?
>>
>>Use Spectrum Software's Micro-Cap (latest version is 12.2.05) instead
>>of either of the above. Although popular, unless you want to simulate
>>Linear Technology's controller IC's, I cannot see any reason why
>>anyone with any sense would use it.
>
>I have 1616 LT Spice sim files in my project folders on this PC. I
>must be really dumb.

You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<khj9oi1a39uf6r6a8dvtjaj5q8086kulp0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132882&group=sci.electronics.design#132882

From: jl...@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:47:16 -0800
 by: john larkin - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:47 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:41:28 +0000, JM <sunaecoNoSpam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:33:42 -0800, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:01:13 +0000, JM <sunaecoNoSpam@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Use Spectrum Software's Micro-Cap (latest version is 12.2.05) instead
>>>of either of the above. Although popular, unless you want to simulate
>>>Linear Technology's controller IC's, I cannot see any reason why
>>>anyone with any sense would use it.
>>
>>I have 1616 LT Spice sim files in my project folders on this PC. I
>>must be really dumb.
>
>You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.

I don't mind being dumb, but do I have to give all the money back?

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<9f6503b1-59f0-49bc-b39c-a28d327925b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132889&group=sci.electronics.design#132889

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:37:20 -0800 (PST)
From: utube.jo...@xoxy.net (John Smiht)
 by: John Smiht - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 02:37 UTC

On Thursday, December 21, 2023 at 5:47:31 PM UTC-6, john larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:41:28 +0000, JM <sunaec...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:33:42 -0800, john larkin <j...@650pot.com> wrote:

> >>I have 1616 LT Spice sim files in my project folders on this PC. I
> >>must be really dumb.
> >
> >You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.
> I don't mind being dumb, but do I have to give all the money back?

HeHe....pretty good! I like it. Can I have it?

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<ld0aoitvv643p0ne225f9r5bt0c5ibg0a4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132891&group=sci.electronics.design#132891

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 19:26:36 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 03:26 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:37:20 -0800 (PST), John Smiht
<utube.jocjo@xoxy.net> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 21, 2023 at 5:47:31?PM UTC-6, john larkin wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:41:28 +0000, JM <sunaec...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> >You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.
>> I don't mind being dumb, but do I have to give all the money back?
>
>HeHe....pretty good! I like it. Can I have it?

LT Spice has earned us about a trillion times what it cost.

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<um3b8d$85f6$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132901&group=sci.electronics.design#132901

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 06:44:26 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 06:44 UTC

On a sunny day (Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:24:34 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Dan Purgert
<dan@djph.net> wrote in <slrnuo8m8s.clb.dan@djph.net>:

>I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on
>seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I
>might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather than
>something I get paid for).
>
>Looked it up, and seems ltspice is a windows/mac application, whereas
>the native equivalent on linux would be ngspice. To avoid starting with
>one and switching because it's "bad" later on; has anyone used
>ngspice and found it a decent alternative to ltspice?

I have LTsice running in Linux in 'wine' windows simulator on some old PC.
Not that I use it much..
I have used it to draw filter curves, that is useful,
avoids lots of maaz or what was it matzs? anyways....

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<slrnuoarnq.clb.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132902&group=sci.electronics.design#132902

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:10:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:10 UTC

On 2023-12-21, JM wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:24:34 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on
>>seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I
>>might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather than
>>something I get paid for).
>>
>>Looked it up, and seems ltspice is a windows/mac application, whereas
>>the native equivalent on linux would be ngspice. To avoid starting with
>>one and switching because it's "bad" later on; has anyone used
>>ngspice and found it a decent alternative to ltspice?
>
> Use Spectrum Software's Micro-Cap (latest version is 12.2.05) instead
> of either of the above. Although popular, unless you want to simulate
> Linear Technology's controller IC's, I cannot see any reason why
> anyone with any sense would use it.

Seems this one's abandoned now? Which I guess isn't necessarily a
problem, unless the "download" links at archive.org don't work...

Thanks for the alternative suggestion too!

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<slrnuoas5l.clb.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132903&group=sci.electronics.design#132903

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:17:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:17 UTC

On 2023-12-21, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
>> I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on
>> seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I
>> might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather than
>> something I get paid for).
>> [...]
>
> LTspice installs and runs well under wine in linux. (Use winetricks. )
>
> I’ve been using it that way for years and years.

Thanks Phil, google was hinting that LTspice via wine "might" be the way
to go ... but then again, search results can be misleading, especially
when one doesn't know any better.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<slrnuoaseb.clb.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132904&group=sci.electronics.design#132904

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:22:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:22 UTC

On 2023-12-21, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> On 12/21/23 03:14, Wanderer wrote:
>> The difficulty with the LTspice interface is that it uses "verb" mode
>> instead of "noun" mode. In other words, you need to select the action
>> and then the object, instead of the object and then the action. This
>> differs from how a lot of other programs work. Also LTspice doesn't
>> do schematics for PCB Layout, so you are concurrently using another
>> schematic layout program which is a pain. I had changed LTspice's
>> hotkeys to match Altium's to avoid hitting the wrong keys.
>
> Schematics for PCB layout have requirements so different from
> schematics for simulations that I don't even *want* to use the
> same tool for both.
>
> I have KiCad for one and LTspice for the other, both on a Linux
> machine. I never simulate complete designs; only sections that
> need closer attention.
>
> It appears KiCads's eeschema can be used as a schematic entry
> front-end for ngspice. I never yet bothered.

I ran across that myself yesterday evening, but not going to touch it
until I have a better handle on what rabbit hole I'm falling into here
(although it does seem that one "must" use ngspice to work with KiCAD,
if I'm read and understood the brief overview properly).

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<um3s92$1i1bk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132905&group=sci.electronics.design#132905

From: erichpwa...@hotmail.com (piglet)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:34:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:N5uqI3wzDSfjUYVsmbITuIIDTRg=
 by: piglet - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:34 UTC

Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
> On 2023-12-21, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
>>> I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on
>>> seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I
>>> might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather than
>>> something I get paid for).
>>> [...]
>>
>> LTspice installs and runs well under wine in linux. (Use winetricks. )
>>
>> I’ve been using it that way for years and years.
>
> Thanks Phil, google was hinting that LTspice via wine "might" be the way
> to go ... but then again, search results can be misleading, especially
> when one doesn't know any better.

For a while I happily used LT spice in a vm box on Linux then acting on
advice of folk here found it was even easier under wine. Went down a rabbit
hole on first attempt using wrong repo of wine but within an hour had
sorted. Since then l use LTS under wine on most of my machines with no
problems.

--
piglet

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<um44js$1j9ud$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132908&group=sci.electronics.design#132908

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:57:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:iTz5jfP04iSYoRMkNdoXWpFFqu0=
 by: Phil Hobbs - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:57 UTC

piglet <erichpwagner@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> LTspice installs and runs well under wine in linux. (Use winetricks. )
>>>
>>> I’ve been using it that way for years and years.
>>
>> Thanks Phil, google was hinting that LTspice via wine "might" be the way
>> to go ... but then again, search results can be misleading, especially
>> when one doesn't know any better.
>>

> For a while I happily used LT spice in a vm box on Linux then acting on
> advice of folk here found it was even easier under wine. Went down a rabbit
> hole on first attempt using wrong repo of wine but within an hour had
> sorted. Since then l use LTS under wine on most of my machines with no
> problems.

That’s where winetricks comes in. Super easy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<068boil4mok038ru8urbjl88ek75evnkua@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132912&group=sci.electronics.design#132912

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 06:46:22 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:46 UTC

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:10:08 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
wrote:

>On 2023-12-21, JM wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:24:34 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on
>>>seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I
>>>might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather than
>>>something I get paid for).
>>>
>>>Looked it up, and seems ltspice is a windows/mac application, whereas
>>>the native equivalent on linux would be ngspice. To avoid starting with
>>>one and switching because it's "bad" later on; has anyone used
>>>ngspice and found it a decent alternative to ltspice?
>>
>> Use Spectrum Software's Micro-Cap (latest version is 12.2.05) instead
>> of either of the above. Although popular, unless you want to simulate
>> Linear Technology's controller IC's, I cannot see any reason why
>> anyone with any sense would use it.
>
>Seems this one's abandoned now? Which I guess isn't necessarily a
>problem, unless the "download" links at archive.org don't work...
>
>Thanks for the alternative suggestion too!

Certainly LT Spice has killed a lot of other simulation software, and
companies.

I wonder if Raspberry Pi is doing something similar.

Re: Raspberry Pi killing competition (Was: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?)

<slrnuob9lf.clb.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132913&group=sci.electronics.design#132913

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Raspberry Pi killing competition (Was: Spice Simulators -
ngspice v. ltspice ?)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 15:07:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 15:07 UTC

On 2023-12-22, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:10:08 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
> wrote:
>>On 2023-12-21, JM wrote:
>>> [..]
>>> Use Spectrum Software's Micro-Cap (latest version is 12.2.05) instead
>>> of either of the above. Although popular, unless you want to simulate
>>> Linear Technology's controller IC's, I cannot see any reason why
>>> anyone with any sense would use it.
>>
>>Seems this one's abandoned now? Which I guess isn't necessarily a
>>problem, unless the "download" links at archive.org don't work...
>>
>>Thanks for the alternative suggestion too!
>
> Certainly LT Spice has killed a lot of other simulation software, and
> companies.

I mean, "Micro-Cap" was only killed off in the last year or two from
what Wikipedia says (otherwise having lasted 40 years). It almost seems
that the company was rather small and the owner(s) just closed up shop.

> I wonder if Raspberry Pi is doing something similar.

In what sense? I mean, there are a few handfuls of single-board PC
makers out there now all chasing the "XYZPi" name since "Raspberry Pi"
got big.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?

<pa8boi9f21iu36ql24jr69q8q6o54mftaq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132914&group=sci.electronics.design#132914

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 07:27:34 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 15:27 UTC

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 06:44:26 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

>On a sunny day (Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:24:34 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Dan Purgert
><dan@djph.net> wrote in <slrnuo8m8s.clb.dan@djph.net>:
>
>>I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on
>>seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I
>>might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather than
>>something I get paid for).
>>
>>Looked it up, and seems ltspice is a windows/mac application, whereas
>>the native equivalent on linux would be ngspice. To avoid starting with
>>one and switching because it's "bad" later on; has anyone used
>>ngspice and found it a decent alternative to ltspice?
>
>I have LTsice running in Linux in 'wine' windows simulator on some old PC.
>Not that I use it much..
>I have used it to draw filter curves, that is useful,
>avoids lots of maaz or what was it matzs? anyways....

Yesterday I designed a 3rd order LC filter by just guessing and
tweaking in LT Spice. It's actual funtion is to generate a clean
CMOS-logic 1 ns time delay, for a guy who wants a ns of timing margin.

I can guess and tweak higher order filters. 5th order is my record,
but that's tough. You can diverge, get lost in space.

Re: Raspberry Pi killing competition (Was: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?)

<8lcboidqp36pvngkadha1s3h7u97tcpkij@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=132916&group=sci.electronics.design#132916

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Raspberry Pi killing competition (Was: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 08:04:34 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:04 UTC

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 15:07:48 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
wrote:

>On 2023-12-22, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:10:08 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>Seems this one's abandoned now? Which I guess isn't necessarily a
>>>problem, unless the "download" links at archive.org don't work...
>>>
>>>Thanks for the alternative suggestion too!
>>
>> Certainly LT Spice has killed a lot of other simulation software, and
>> companies.
>
>I mean, "Micro-Cap" was only killed off in the last year or two from
>what Wikipedia says (otherwise having lasted 40 years). It almost seems
>that the company was rather small and the owner(s) just closed up shop.
>

>> I wonder if Raspberry Pi is doing something similar.
>>

>In what sense? I mean, there are a few handfuls of single-board PC
>makers out there now all chasing the "XYZPi" name since "Raspberry Pi"
>got big.

A dual-core CPU chip for 60 cents, RP2040, with 20 years of guaranteed
supply, and a $70 dev+debug system is hard to compete with. A
generation of kids will design around Pi chips.