Hope that the day after you die is a nice day.

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: Miche Odent - pioneer of water babies

SubjectAuthor
* Miche Odent - pioneer of water babieslittor...@gmail.com
`- Re: Miche Odent - pioneer of water babieslittor...@gmail.com

1
Miche Odent - pioneer of water babies

<70d667a1-1daa-482c-991c-2c31c96b1059n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13322&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13322

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 12:14:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Miche Odent - pioneer of water babies
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 19:14 UTC

Dear One and All
I am actually quite nervous with excitement about sending this invite to you. I still can't quite believe I'm doing it.

I am especially privileged to invite you to the 6th WHAT (Waterside Hypotheses/Aquatic Theory) Talk as the guest speaker this month is the world renowned French obstetrician, Michel Odent, perhaps most famous for his advancement of the use of birthing tubs in child birth, although I know he'd rather be recognised for his pioneering work promoting early, post-partum, skin-to-skin contact between mother and baby.
More about Michel below but first, some global zoom meeting "admin".
The talk is this Sunday (the day after tomorrow). Please be careful to check the start time for you locally. It is difficult to choose a start time that suits everyone in the world but around mid-day in Europe seems to work quite well. For Michel in France, the talk will start at 1pm in the afternoon. So, for anyone tuning in in the UK, it'll be noon. Here, in Western Australia it will be 8pm. In the Eastern Australian States it'll be 10pm and in the Eastern seaboard in the USA it'll be 7am in the morning (still Sunday though.)
Use this global time map to help you, but please check, as each country might have local daylight-saving procedures going on.

The talk will be around 40 minutes or so, after which there will be an opportunity for questions and discussions. I am using Zoom's waiting room feature this time so please be patient when you follow the link as I have no idea how many will be attending. As always, please make sure you're on mute during the talk and, as always, it will be recorded and posted to our YouTube channel and onto the web site.
Please feel free to share this email invite with anyone you think might be interested in why we are so different, physically, from the chimpanzee.
Also, if you haven't already done so, please view the previous five talks by following the links below...
WHAT Talks You Tube Channel
or
WHAT Talks Web site.
Remember, you can go to whattalks.com from any browser, just by typing "whattalks.com" directly into the address line. (No need to search Google.)
A link to the meeting will be placed on the web site home page on the day of the talk too, in case you lose this email somehow.
So... see you on Sunday!!
All the best
Algis Kuliukas
Now...
Michel Odent
Biographical Sketch

Michel Odent, MD, has been in charge of the surgical unit and the maternity unit at the Pithiviers (France) state hospital (1962-1985). During many years he has been the only doctor in charge of about 1000 births a year.
Michel is most proud that he wrote the first article about the initiation of lactation during the hour following birth (1977).
Most significant here is that he was the author of the first article in the medical literature about the use of birthing pools (Lancet 1983). Michael also wrote the first article applying the ‘Gate Control Theory of Pain’ to obstetrics (1975). He coined the term “hormone of love” when mentioning oxytocin. He created the Primal Health Research database (www.primalhealthresearch.com). He has been a member of the Professional Advisory Board of La Leche League International for about 40 years.

Michel Odent is Visiting Professor at the Odessa National Medical University and Doctor Honoris Causa of the University of Brasilia.

Talk Outline
"Selling the Marine Chimpanzee Concept"

Several trustable persons - including Elaine Morgan – have suggested that the term “aquatic ape” is hardly marketable. Who can help us to renew our vocabulary? We’ll follow the advice of Stephen Munro, who expressed his point of view during a previous “WHAT talk” session. He emphasized that we should not waste time with experts, and offered a list of valuable potential advisers.

MEETING LINK
Algis Kuliukas is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: WHAT Talk #06 - Michel Odent
Time: Apr 10, 2022 07:30 PM Perth

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/88649520649?pwd=bWNrRVFrQXFzQi9paGhhd3czOWVNUT09

Meeting ID: 886 4952 0649
Passcode: 326765
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,88649520649#,,,,*326765# US (Tacoma)
+16699006833,,88649520649#,,,,*326765# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 886 4952 0649
Passcode: 326765
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kenT1wuaZd

--------------------------------------
Dr Algis Kuliukas
Anatomy, Physiology and Human Biology

Re: Miche Odent - pioneer of water babies

<19c30b04-5125-484e-a77d-e3bd316906a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13336&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13336

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:32:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Miche Odent - pioneer of water babies
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 23:32 UTC

(should be Michel, not Miche, of course)

This afternoon, we saw a beautiful lecture from a 92-year old:
he'd call the aquatic ape theory "the marine chimpanzee concept".

Michel stressed the importance of
- natural birthing (= not induced),
- breast-feeding, immediate after birth.

He made it clear IMO that until "recently" we must have been "marine" (rather than simply "aquatic"):
-vernix caseosa,
-huge brain & PUFAs (DHA etc.),
-iodine needs.

Thanks a lot, Michel!

You can find his talk at google "WHAT talks".