From: del...@delete.co.uk (Jemma Hankin)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: avoid used cars with lowered springs and low profile tyres?
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 08:13:45 +0800
 by: Jemma Hankin - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 00:13 UTC

My cousin works in muffler shop and says don't touch one of these, as
they get a few in the workshop with damaged exhaust. Probably because
the driver was a dickhead. He further claims that the harsh ride will
jolt stuff in the car, so it is more likely to have problems like aircon
leaks or intermittent electrical gremlins. Is this a reasonable warning?

Re: avoid used cars with lowered springs and low profile tyres?

<st4200$v9t$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1333&group=rec.autos.tech#1333

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 13:45:28 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 18:45 UTC

On 1/28/2022 19:13, Jemma Hankin wrote:
> My cousin works in muffler shop and says don't touch one of these, as
> they get a few in the workshop with damaged exhaust. Probably because
> the driver was a dickhead. He further claims that the harsh ride will
> jolt stuff in the car, so it is more likely to have problems like aircon
> leaks or intermittent electrical gremlins. Is this a reasonable warning?

That sounds fair to me. I've driven a "lowered" car before, and the
ride is not pleasant. I've seen people take a torch to coil springs to
lower them before. That weakens the metal. Chopping the springs really
makes for a bad ride. Stock setup for me, please.

Re: avoid used cars with lowered springs and low profile tyres?

<st4d9q$o6n$1@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1334&group=rec.autos.tech#1334

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: 29 Jan 2022 21:58:18 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 21:58 UTC

Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>On 1/28/2022 19:13, Jemma Hankin wrote:
>> My cousin works in muffler shop and says don't touch one of these, as
>> they get a few in the workshop with damaged exhaust. Probably because
>> the driver was a dickhead. He further claims that the harsh ride will
>> jolt stuff in the car, so it is more likely to have problems like aircon
>> leaks or intermittent electrical gremlins. Is this a reasonable warning?
>
>That sounds fair to me. I've driven a "lowered" car before, and the
>ride is not pleasant. I've seen people take a torch to coil springs to
>lower them before. That weakens the metal. Chopping the springs really
>makes for a bad ride. Stock setup for me, please.

It's likely a good idea to avoid buying any substantially-modified car,
unless you know all the details of the modifications and the people who
did them.

There are people out there who do good work but there are also a lot of
hacks out there doing vehicle modifications.

Lowered suspensions can be done well, or can be done very poorly, just
like aftermarket alarm and audio systems. I suspect more are done poorly
than well.
--scott