From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Clever way to make a gamma ray telescope
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 05:39:43 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 05:39 UTC

Pancake stack of films on a balloon most accurate gamma-ray telescope
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/12/231221161951.htm
clever way to make gamma ray pictures.

Re: Off Topic Troll Alert! was: Clever way to make a gamma ray telescope

<kvne38F84pkU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133388&group=sci.electronics.design#133388

From: bon...@hertz.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de (Uwe Bonnes)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Off Topic Troll Alert! was: Clever way to make a gamma ray telescope
Date: 4 Jan 2024 10:03:20 GMT
 by: Uwe Bonnes - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:03 UTC

a a <manta103g@gmail.com> wrote:

Please stop this useles and assulting postings. Doing so as an
anonymous coward is even worse.
--
Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------

Re: Clever way to make a gamma ray telescope

<un9dtt$7p6q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133424&group=sci.electronics.design#133424

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Clever way to make a gamma ray telescope
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:23:08 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:23 UTC

On 04/01/2024 05:39, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> Pancake stack of films on a balloon most accurate gamma-ray telescope
> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/12/231221161951.htm
> clever way to make gamma ray pictures.

That is actually quite clever, ingenious and high resolution.

I was once involved in another way to get what at the time were cutting
edge high energy satellite images by rotating a set of scintillation
counters with a second set in front creating a quadratic residue mask.
It imaged the sky in 1D at much better than anything prior and the
spinning allowed a 2D image. The resolution was pretty poxy though.

Shadow mask tricks were popular back then since nobody had been able to
focus such energetic radiation well enough. Once they could it was
quickly outclassed by glancing incidence optics with seriously high
resolution in the X-ray band.

--
Martin Brown

Re: Clever way to make a gamma ray telescope

<un9pvq$9h1q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133428&group=sci.electronics.design#133428

From: jer...@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 21:49:39 +0100
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 20:49 UTC

On 1/5/24 18:23, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 04/01/2024 05:39, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> Pancake stack of films on a balloon most accurate gamma-ray telescope
>>   https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/12/231221161951.htm
>> clever way to make gamma ray pictures.
>
> That is actually quite clever, ingenious and high resolution.
>
> I was once involved in another way to get what at the time were cutting
> edge high energy satellite images by rotating a set of scintillation
> counters with a second set in front creating a quadratic residue mask.
> It imaged the sky in 1D at much better than anything prior and the
> spinning allowed a 2D image. The resolution was pretty poxy though.
>
> Shadow mask tricks were popular back then since nobody had been able to
> focus such energetic radiation well enough. Once they could it was
> quickly outclassed by glancing incidence optics with seriously high
> resolution in the X-ray band.

To my knowledge, using stacks of film to record particle tracks
is as old as knowledge of radioactivity itself. However, moving
a few layers, clockwork fashion, for recording the time of the
tracks is a cute trick.

Moreover, they used this to correct for the swaying motion of
their balloon-borne detector so they could pinpoint the origin
of the gammas! Now that's worthy of admiration! Hats off!

Jeroen Belleman