There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Aviation safety is built on the 'Swiss cheese' model

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Aviation safety is built on the 'Swiss cheese' modelAnthony William Sloman
`- Re: Aviation safety is built on the 'Swiss cheese' modelJohn Robertson

1
Re: Aviation safety is built on the 'Swiss cheese' model

<d738b9e7-b57d-453f-87a6-de90b96a54a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133446&group=sci.electronics.design#133446

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 07:11:24 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Aviation safety is built on the 'Swiss cheese' model
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 15:11 UTC

On Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 1:20:47 AM UTC+11, a a wrote:
> On Saturday 6 January 2024 at 14:53:37 UTC+1, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > -but the Japan Airlines crash shows the holes sometimes line up.
> >
> > Moronic swiss cheese concept aside, the root cause of the crash:
> >
> > 'The string of hazards doesn't stop there, though. Many large global airports have "stop bar" lights that indicates to pilots if a runway is clear.. They're intended to stop planes from entering an active runway even if they think they have clearance.
> >
> > On the day of the accident, however, the lights at the intersection where the Dash-8 entered the runway were malfunctioning, according to a notice to airmen that went into effect on December 27. Pilots are expected to check airport NOTAMs.'
> >
> > Japan is going to hang somebody over that. It's not like the west, they really go after negligence and sentence the people responsible to long prison terms.
> >
> > The Coast Guard pilot is pretty much finished too.
> >
> > https://www.businessinsider.com/japan-airlines-crash-swiss-cheese-holes-may-explain-collision-2024-1
>
> Swiss cheese model is an old fake and hoax to promote underdeveloped, small country, called Swiss.

The inhabitants are called the Swiss. The country is called Switzerland. It's not under-developed, and is the world's wealthiest country per capita. "Swiss cheese" is an English language concept - lot's of varieties of cheese from many different countries have holes but, speakers of English have latched onto the idea that only Swiss cheese comes with holes. It's neither fake nor a hoax - just a cliche,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland

"For much of the 20th century, Switzerland was the wealthiest country in Europe by a considerable margin (per capita GDP).[144] Switzerland has one of the world's largest account balances as a percentage of GDP.[145] In 2018, the canton of Basel-City had the highest GDP per capita, ahead of Zug and Geneva.[146] According to Credit Suisse, only about 37% of residents own their own homes, one of the lowest rates of home ownership in Europe. Housing and food price levels were 171% and 145% of the EU-25 index in 2007, compared to 113% and 104% in Germany.[147]"
<snipped the usual moronic drivel>

> I have studied every plane crash world-wide for the last 20 years and 99% of plane crashes can be easily identified as intended crashes.

A a does make a lot of implausible claims.
> (3 plane pilots in my family).

I suppose he could have been dropped on his head as kid, but this does seem improbable. If his family had that kind of money, they might be expected to keep him in a protected environment and stop him making a nuisance of himself by posting huge volumes of fatuous nonsense to our user group.

--
Bil Sloman, Sydney

Re: Aviation safety is built on the 'Swiss cheese' model

<unfjeh$195dq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133491&group=sci.electronics.design#133491

From: jrr...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 17:34:09 -0800
 by: John Robertson - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 01:34 UTC

On 2024/01/06 7:11 a.m., Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 1:20:47 AM UTC+11, a a wrote:
>> On Saturday 6 January 2024 at 14:53:37 UTC+1, Fred Bloggs wrote:
If you don't reply to the idiots then some of us with active filters
don't have to glance at the subject line...
John :-#(#
John's Jukes Ltd.
#7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com