No extensible language will be universal. -- T. Cheatham

tech / sci.electronics.design / Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer

SubjectAuthor
* Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometerdarius
`* Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometerJohn Larkin
 +* Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometera a
 |+- Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometera a
 |`- Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometera a
 `* Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometerPhil Hobbs
  `* Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometerChris Jones
   `* Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometerJohn Larkin
    `* Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometerChris Jones
     `- Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometerJohn Walliker

1
Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer

<fee113ae7403e51abaf4e15fd3931eae@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133534&group=sci.electronics.design#133534

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:59:28 +0000
Subject: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer
From: manta1...@gmail.com (darius)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
 by: darius - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:59 UTC

Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer

Let me know your opinion and experience
since high resolution thermal imaging cameras are still expensive
so I plan to build a single point thermal imaging camera supported by mosaics scanning mechanics
to get high resolution thermal imaging

thank you

Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer

<iletpih8esj6obf4nqcsi9gmg0r2hk5dpt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133536&group=sci.electronics.design#133536

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 07:56:44 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:56 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:59:28 +0000, manta103g@gmail.com (darius)
wrote:

>Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer
>
>Let me know your opinion and experience
>since high resolution thermal imaging cameras are still expensive
>so I plan to build a single point thermal imaging camera supported by mosaics scanning mechanics
>to get high resolution thermal imaging
>

>thank you

A single-point sensor will probably be big so have poor spatial
resolution. And scanning will be very slow.

Amazon has 256x192 thermal imager cameras, all done, starting around
$250. They probably don't focus close enough for electronics but that
could be fudged. Some software image enhancement might be possible.

We have two FLIRs. One was very expensive and has a huge
adjustable-focus germanium lens. It's fabulous for scoping
electronics.

Lens:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uda77g9w66x3u9f/Flir_E45_WA_Lens.JPG?raw=1

Dual NPN transistor, obviously not monolithic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd072w1z2gmfpbt/Dual_NPN.jpg?raw=1

PCB inner-plane short:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxk5dd8i6gr74nq/PCB_Short.jpg?raw=1

(A bunch of amps burned that away.)

Our other IR imager was a gift from FLIR, a smaller fixed-focus thing,
pretty much useless for electronics:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6qrx4yyy63gxw5jec1rwa/BT3.JPG?rlkey=q9eb551ur73h5qucgyrck9tsi&raw=1

I'd like to have a small handheld imager, but it needs to focus up
close, which most don't do.

Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer

<afab4cbd-a4c3-48e7-b99b-752fa4342796n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133538&group=sci.electronics.design#133538

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:01:32 -0800 (PST)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:01 UTC

On Wednesday 10 January 2024 at 16:58:09 UTC+1, John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:59:28 +0000, mant...@gmail.com (darius)
> wrote:
> >Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer
> >
> >Let me know your opinion and experience
> >since high resolution thermal imaging cameras are still expensive
> >so I plan to build a single point thermal imaging camera supported by mosaics scanning mechanics
> >to get high resolution thermal imaging
> >

> >thank you
> A single-point sensor will probably be big so have poor spatial
> resolution. And scanning will be very slow.
>
> Amazon has 256x192 thermal imager cameras, all done, starting around
> $250. They probably don't focus close enough for electronics but that
> could be fudged. Some software image enhancement might be possible.
>
> We have two FLIRs. One was very expensive and has a huge
> adjustable-focus germanium lens. It's fabulous for scoping
> electronics.
>
> Lens:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/uda77g9w66x3u9f/Flir_E45_WA_Lens.JPG?raw=1
>
> Dual NPN transistor, obviously not monolithic:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd072w1z2gmfpbt/Dual_NPN.jpg?raw=1
>
> PCB inner-plane short:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxk5dd8i6gr74nq/PCB_Short.jpg?raw=1
>
> (A bunch of amps burned that away.)
>

> Our other IR imager was a gift from FLIR, a smaller fixed-focus thing,
> pretty much useless for electronics:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6qrx4yyy63gxw5jec1rwa/BT3.JPG?rlkey=q9eb551ur73h5qucgyrck9tsi&raw=1
>
> I'd like to have a small handheld imager, but it needs to focus up
> close, which most don't do.

\
Thank you.
My friend ordered on Aliexpress high resolution mini usb C thermal camera for a smartphone
and we have tested it to work fine for electronics due to its resolution and a very small size ( width of usb cable connector)
at $300

Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer

<NCBnN.2$UNd9.0@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133539&group=sci.electronics.design#133539

From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:47:09 GMT
 by: a a - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:47 UTC

Yet one more #veryStupidByLowIQaa post.

Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer

<275305ce-1260-5792-eee8-bf720275f16d@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133540&group=sci.electronics.design#133540

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:02:59 -0500
 by: Phil Hobbs - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:02 UTC

On 2024-01-10 10:56, John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:59:28 +0000, manta103g@gmail.com (darius)
> wrote:
>
>> Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer
>>
>> Let me know your opinion and experience
>> since high resolution thermal imaging cameras are still expensive
>> so I plan to build a single point thermal imaging camera supported by mosaics scanning mechanics
>> to get high resolution thermal imaging
>>

>> thank you
>
> A single-point sensor will probably be big so have poor spatial
> resolution. And scanning will be very slow.
>
> Amazon has 256x192 thermal imager cameras, all done, starting around
> $250. They probably don't focus close enough for electronics but that
> could be fudged. Some software image enhancement might be possible.
>
> We have two FLIRs. One was very expensive and has a huge
> adjustable-focus germanium lens. It's fabulous for scoping
> electronics.
>
> Lens:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/uda77g9w66x3u9f/Flir_E45_WA_Lens.JPG?raw=1
>
> Dual NPN transistor, obviously not monolithic:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd072w1z2gmfpbt/Dual_NPN.jpg?raw=1
>
> PCB inner-plane short:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxk5dd8i6gr74nq/PCB_Short.jpg?raw=1
>
> (A bunch of amps burned that away.)
>

> Our other IR imager was a gift from FLIR, a smaller fixed-focus thing,
> pretty much useless for electronics:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6qrx4yyy63gxw5jec1rwa/BT3.JPG?rlkey=q9eb551ur73h5qucgyrck9tsi&raw=1
>
> I'd like to have a small handheld imager, but it needs to focus up
> close, which most don't do.

We have a FLIR-1, which attaches to a smartphone and works pretty well
for troubleshooting boards. It tries to get better resolution by
combining the lowish-resolution IR image with a strongly edge-enhanced
image from the phone camera, and then dorks the alignment to reduce the
parallax effect.

It was about $400 a year or two ago.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer

<jwKnN.17834$94X4.4267@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133545&group=sci.electronics.design#133545

From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 04:54:39 GMT
 by: a a - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 04:54 UTC

Darius the Dumb has posted yet one more #veryStupidByLowIQaa article.

Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer

<uPQnN.50612$Xtu6.41437@fx03.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133546&group=sci.electronics.design#133546

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: lugnut...@spam.yahoo.com (Chris Jones)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 23:04:41 +1100
 by: Chris Jones - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 12:04 UTC

On 11/01/2024 6:02 am, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 2024-01-10 10:56, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:59:28 +0000, manta103g@gmail.com (darius)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer
>>>
>>> Let me know your opinion and experience
>>> since high resolution thermal imaging cameras are still expensive
>>> so I plan to build a single point thermal imaging camera supported by
>>> mosaics scanning mechanics
>>> to get high resolution thermal imaging
>>>

>>> thank you
>>
>> A single-point sensor will probably be big so have poor spatial
>> resolution. And scanning will be very slow.
>>
>> Amazon has 256x192 thermal imager cameras, all done, starting around
>> $250. They probably don't focus close enough for electronics but that
>> could be fudged. Some software image enhancement might be possible.
>>
>> We have two FLIRs. One was very expensive and has a huge
>> adjustable-focus germanium lens. It's fabulous for scoping
>> electronics.
>>
>> Lens:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/uda77g9w66x3u9f/Flir_E45_WA_Lens.JPG?raw=1
>>
>> Dual NPN transistor, obviously not monolithic:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd072w1z2gmfpbt/Dual_NPN.jpg?raw=1
>>
>> PCB inner-plane short:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxk5dd8i6gr74nq/PCB_Short.jpg?raw=1
>>
>> (A bunch of amps burned that away.)
>>

>> Our other IR imager was a gift from FLIR, a smaller fixed-focus thing,
>> pretty much useless for electronics:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6qrx4yyy63gxw5jec1rwa/BT3.JPG?rlkey=q9eb551ur73h5qucgyrck9tsi&raw=1
>>
>> I'd like to have a small handheld imager, but it needs to focus up
>> close, which most don't do.
>>

> We have a FLIR-1, which attaches to a smartphone and works pretty well
> for troubleshooting boards.  It tries to get better resolution by
> combining the lowish-resolution IR image with a strongly edge-enhanced
> image from the phone camera, and then dorks the alignment to reduce the
> parallax effect.
>
> It was about $400 a year or two ago.
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs

This one is interesing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4JajqJxxIc

it seems to have a much higher frame rate than my Flir E4 (hacked into
an E8) which is limited to 9 frames per second I think to avoid being
subject to export controls.

Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer

<6ik8qi5fai4njk3v9pvttaad5b9fhi1a7h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133614&group=sci.electronics.design#133614

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:30:40 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 21:30 UTC

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 23:04:41 +1100, Chris Jones
<lugnut808@spam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 11/01/2024 6:02 am, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> On 2024-01-10 10:56, John Larkin wrote:

>>> A single-point sensor will probably be big so have poor spatial
>>> resolution. And scanning will be very slow.
>>>
>>> Amazon has 256x192 thermal imager cameras, all done, starting around
>>> $250. They probably don't focus close enough for electronics but that
>>> could be fudged. Some software image enhancement might be possible.
>>>
>>> We have two FLIRs. One was very expensive and has a huge
>>> adjustable-focus germanium lens. It's fabulous for scoping
>>> electronics.
>>>
>>> Lens:
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/uda77g9w66x3u9f/Flir_E45_WA_Lens.JPG?raw=1
>>>
>>> Dual NPN transistor, obviously not monolithic:
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd072w1z2gmfpbt/Dual_NPN.jpg?raw=1
>>>
>>> PCB inner-plane short:
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxk5dd8i6gr74nq/PCB_Short.jpg?raw=1
>>>
>>> (A bunch of amps burned that away.)
>>>

>>> Our other IR imager was a gift from FLIR, a smaller fixed-focus thing,
>>> pretty much useless for electronics:
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6qrx4yyy63gxw5jec1rwa/BT3.JPG?rlkey=q9eb551ur73h5qucgyrck9tsi&raw=1
>>>
>>> I'd like to have a small handheld imager, but it needs to focus up
>>> close, which most don't do.
>>>

>> We have a FLIR-1, which attaches to a smartphone and works pretty well
>> for troubleshooting boards.  It tries to get better resolution by
>> combining the lowish-resolution IR image with a strongly edge-enhanced
>> image from the phone camera, and then dorks the alignment to reduce the
>> parallax effect.
>>
>> It was about $400 a year or two ago.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>

>This one is interesing:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4JajqJxxIc
>
>it seems to have a much higher frame rate than my Flir E4 (hacked into
>an E8) which is limited to 9 frames per second I think to avoid being
>subject to export controls.

How close can it focus? Enough to resolve small parts on a board?

Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer

<UhvpN.362726$94X4.237721@fx01.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133633&group=sci.electronics.design#133633

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: lugnut...@spam.yahoo.com (Chris Jones)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 00:13:22 +1100
 by: Chris Jones - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:13 UTC

On 15/01/2024 8:30 am, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 23:04:41 +1100, Chris Jones
> <lugnut808@spam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> We have a FLIR-1, which attaches to a smartphone and works pretty well
>>> for troubleshooting boards.  It tries to get better resolution by
>>> combining the lowish-resolution IR image with a strongly edge-enhanced
>>> image from the phone camera, and then dorks the alignment to reduce the
>>> parallax effect.
>>>
>>> It was about $400 a year or two ago.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Phil Hobbs
>>

>> This one is interesing:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4JajqJxxIc
>>
>> it seems to have a much higher frame rate than my Flir E4 (hacked into
>> an E8) which is limited to 9 frames per second I think to avoid being
>> subject to export controls.
>
> How close can it focus? Enough to resolve small parts on a board?

https://youtu.be/phYknDDeWb8?t=474

Re: Single point thermal imaging camera made of infrared thermometer

<36897ece-8061-43ab-9b20-f43258383ef9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133793&group=sci.electronics.design#133793

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 10:17:57 -0800 (PST)
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:17 UTC

On Tuesday 16 January 2024 at 13:13:32 UTC, Chris Jones wrote:
> On 15/01/2024 8:30 am, John Larkin wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 23:04:41 +1100, Chris Jones
> > <lugn...@spam.yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> This one is interesing:
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4JajqJxxIc
> >>
> >> it seems to have a much higher frame rate than my Flir E4 (hacked into
> >> an E8) which is limited to 9 frames per second I think to avoid being
> >> subject to export controls.
> >
> > How close can it focus? Enough to resolve small parts on a board?
> >
> https://youtu.be/phYknDDeWb8?t=474

Thank you for mentioning the InfiRay P2 Pro. I have been wanting to buy a thermal IR
camera for some time and this seemed a good trade-off between cost, size,
performance and features.
I got the Android version with close-up lens. It really is very nice! I bought it from
Amazon (with a ~10% promotional discount) because I wanted it next day, not next
month. Buying direct from China would have been considerably cheaper, but shipping
times to the UK are quite long at the moment and of course there is more hassle if
there is a problem.

John