Friction is a drag.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023

SubjectAuthor
* Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023John Larkin
+- Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023john larkin
+* Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023Anthony William Sloman
|`* Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023none
| `- Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023Anthony William Sloman
`* Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023whit3rd
 `- Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023Jeroen Belleman

1
Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023

<0j00qilpvh63efod5u1jmkil523065sue3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133550&group=sci.electronics.design#133550

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 07:06:16 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:06 UTC

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 05:48:45 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>And these estimates by NOAA are considered conservative.
>
>All the while U.S. is racing to produce as much gas and petroleum as possible. Manmade GHG emissions are increasing. Morons are doing as much as possible to obstruct conversion to renewable energy, defame new technologies, such as cold weather heat pumps, defame EVs.
>
>Democracy is clearly not working, or, maybe it is if you allow for people getting their just deserts as a benefit, some kind of correction as the finance industry describes disaster.
>
>https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/billions/events/US/2023?disasters[]=all-disasters

The US accounts for 14% of world CO2 and that will decline greatly as
developing countries keep developing. China and India build a coal
power plant every few days, and people in Africa want electricity and
trucks.

There is no giant plastic dome over the USA, or Berkeley CA, that
makes our emissions control our weather.

And CO2 is good for the planet. We need more and, fortunately, will
get it.

Hey, I found a web site that you will love:

https://endtimeheadlines.org/

Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023

<5as0qi1b4fb4g89sh5f4pgn7g0lnke5ct5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133566&group=sci.electronics.design#133566

From: jl...@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:06:43 -0800
 by: john larkin - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 23:06 UTC

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 12:55:16 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 10:07:43?AM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 05:48:45 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >And these estimates by NOAA are considered conservative.
>> >
>> >All the while U.S. is racing to produce as much gas and petroleum as possible. Manmade GHG emissions are increasing. Morons are doing as much as possible to obstruct conversion to renewable energy, defame new technologies, such as cold weather heat pumps, defame EVs.
>> >
>> >Democracy is clearly not working, or, maybe it is if you allow for people getting their just deserts as a benefit, some kind of correction as the finance industry describes disaster.
>> >
>> >https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/billions/events/US/2023?disasters[]=all-disasters
>> The US accounts for 14% of world CO2 and that will decline greatly as
>> developing countries keep developing. China and India build a coal
>> power plant every few days, and people in Africa want electricity and
>> trucks.
>>
>> There is no giant plastic dome over the USA, or Berkeley CA, that
>> makes our emissions control our weather.
>>
>> And CO2 is good for the planet. We need more and, fortunately, will
>> get it.
>
>The damage tally for the NOAA list for 2023 is just shy of 60 Bn$, who do you think is paying for that? Then the insurance industry is bailing left and right in disaster prone areas, that would be as indicated by more recent short term statistics, the old 50-year almanac is thrown out the window. They can't begin to take these huge hits. It really doesn't sound like excess CO2 is good for anybody.

The total value of US real estate is about $47 trillion. So $60B
damage is ballpark 0.1%. And people shouldn't build in forests or
flood plains or on ocean beaches if they want cheap insurance.

Federal flood insurance gets a lot of blame for encouraging building
and rebuilding in bad places.

Hurricane cyclone energy is pretty much flat over the last 70 years.
Of course the density and value of coastal real estate is way up.

I don't know why people want to live in Florida, but they do.

>> Hey, I found a web site that you will love:
>>
>> https://endtimeheadlines.org/
>
>That doesn't look very scientific.

Doomesay prophets aren't. I thoughy you'd enjoy it.

Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023

<4acd9bb1-8225-411c-a1b1-193f2edd1c83n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133571&group=sci.electronics.design#133571

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:23:47 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 05:23 UTC

On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 2:07:43 AM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 05:48:45 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >And these estimates by NOAA are considered conservative.
> >
> >All the while U.S. is racing to produce as much gas and petroleum as possible. Manmade GHG emissions are increasing. Morons are doing as much as possible to obstruct conversion to renewable energy, defame new technologies, such as cold weather heat pumps, defame EVs.
> >
> >Democracy is clearly not working, or, maybe it is if you allow for people getting their just deserts as a benefit, some kind of correction as the finance industry describes disaster.
> >
> >https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/billions/events/US/2023?disasters[]=all-disasters
>
> The US accounts for 14% of world CO2 and that will decline greatly as
> developing countries keep developing.

The US accounts for just 4% of the world's population.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/co-emissions-per-capita?tab=table

At 14.9 tonnes per head it is just behind Australia (15.0 tonnes per head).

> China and India build a coal power plant every few days, and people in Africa want electricity and trucks.

China is also building solar farms at a huge rate - it's got more renewable energy generation capacity than the rest of the world put together. Their new coal-fired power stations are around 40% efficient and replace old 8% efficient coal fired generators, and are as much a back up for renewables as they are base-line generators. Battery and pumped storage are coming on, but they haven't got it a lot of it yet.

Africa wants energy - and it no longer has to burn fossil carbon to get it.. Renewables are a cheaper source, and you can buy renewablle generating capacity in much smaller chunks, and skip the nation-wdie grid to distribute it.

> There is no giant plastic dome over the USA, or Berkeley CA, that makes our emissions control our weather.

But your emissions still control your weather, and everybody else's.

> And CO2 is good for the planet. We need more and, fortunately, will get it.

It isn't. More CO2 may help weeds, but it creates other problems that don't help the plants that we grow for food.,
<snip one more of John Larkin's trivial sneers>

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023

<nnd$3c3170da$30b1a18e@58206efa1e451f88>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133587&group=sci.electronics.design#133587

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: alb...@cherry (none)
Originator: albert@cherry.(none) (albert)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 11:59:01 +0100
 by: none - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 10:59 UTC

In article <4acd9bb1-8225-411c-a1b1-193f2edd1c83n@googlegroups.com>,
Anthony William Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote:
>On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 2:07:43 AM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 05:48:45 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >And these estimates by NOAA are considered conservative.
>> >
>> >All the while U.S. is racing to produce as much gas and petroleum as
>possible. Manmade GHG emissions are increasing. Morons are doing as much
>as possible to obstruct conversion to renewable energy, defame new
>technologies, such as cold weather heat pumps, defame EVs.
>> >
>> >Democracy is clearly not working, or, maybe it is if you allow for
>people getting their just deserts as a benefit, some kind of correction
>as the finance industry describes disaster.
>> >

>>https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/billions/events/US/2023?disasters[]=all-disasters
>>
>> The US accounts for 14% of world CO2 and that will decline greatly as
>> developing countries keep developing.
>
>The US accounts for just 4% of the world's population.
>
>https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/co-emissions-per-capita?tab=table
>
>At 14.9 tonnes per head it is just behind Australia (15.0 tonnes per head).
>
>> China and India build a coal power plant every few days, and people
>in Africa want electricity and trucks.
>
>China is also building solar farms at a huge rate - it's got more
>renewable energy generation capacity than the rest of the world put
>together. Their new coal-fired power stations are around 40% efficient
>and replace old 8% efficient coal fired generators, and are as much a
>back up for renewables as they are base-line generators. Battery and
>pumped storage are coming on, but they haven't got it a lot of it yet.

Not to mention that China is serious about developing nuclear energy,
the plutonium reactors and helium cooled reactors, important for deserts.
Once this takes off, the rest of the world is years behind like with
solar panels and led's.

>Africa wants energy - and it no longer has to burn fossil carbon to get
>it. Renewables are a cheaper source, and you can buy renewablle
>generating capacity in much smaller chunks, and skip the nation-wdie
>grid to distribute it.
>
>> There is no giant plastic dome over the USA, or Berkeley CA, that
>makes our emissions control our weather.
>
>But your emissions still control your weather, and everybody else's.
>
>> And CO2 is good for the planet. We need more and, fortunately, will get it.
>
>It isn't. More CO2 may help weeds, but it creates other problems that
>don't help the plants that we grow for food.,

I could snip this, bit it bears repeating.

>Bill Sloman, Sydney

Groetjes Albert
--
Don't praise the day before the evening. One swallow doesn't make spring.
You must not say "hey" before you have crossed the bridge. Don't sell the

Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023

<c0b07941-7298-46ec-9ae1-c70f7c790e38n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133588&group=sci.electronics.design#133588

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 03:36:26 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 11:36 UTC

On Saturday, January 13, 2024 at 9:59:11 PM UTC+11, none albert wrote:
> In article <4acd9bb1-8225-411c...@googlegroups.com>,
> Anthony William Sloman <bill....@ieee.org> wrote:
> >On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 2:07:43 AM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:

> >possible. Manmade GHG emissions are increasing. Morons are doing as much
> >as possible to obstruct conversion to renewable energy, defame new
> >technologies, such as cold weather heat pumps, defame EVs.

> >people getting their just deserts as a benefit, some kind of correction
> >as the finance industry describes disaster.
> >>
> >>https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/billions/events/US/2023?disasters[]=all-disasters
> >>
> >> The US accounts for 14% of world CO2 and that will decline greatly as
> >> developing countries keep developing.
> >
> >The US accounts for just 4% of the world's population.
> >
> >https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/co-emissions-per-capita?tab=table
> >
> >At 14.9 tonnes per head it is just behind Australia (15.0 tonnes per head).
> >
> >> China and India build a coal power plant every few days, and people
> >in Africa want electricity and trucks.
> >
> >China is also building solar farms at a huge rate - it's got more
> >renewable energy generation capacity than the rest of the world put
> >together. Their new coal-fired power stations are around 40% efficient
> >and replace old 8% efficient coal fired generators, and are as much a
> >back up for renewables as they are base-line generators. Battery and
> >pumped storage are coming on, but they haven't got it a lot of it yet.
> >
> Not to mention that China is serious about developing nuclear energy,
> the plutonium reactors and helium cooled reactors, important for deserts.

They seem to be keeping their options open, but nuclear power seems to be a lot more expensive per kiloWatt.hour than wind or solar.

> Once this takes off, the rest of the world is years behind like with solar panels and led's.

It won't be. China did invest a lot in tooling up to produce solar cells in ten times the volume that Germany was doing it (and the Germans had made exactly the same commercial choice some ten years earlier). The solar cells they chose to produce had been invented at the University of New South Wales in Australia.

They weren't leading the world - they just made a deliberate investment choice.

> >Africa wants energy - and it no longer has to burn fossil carbon to get
> >it. Renewables are a cheaper source, and you can buy renewablle
> >generating capacity in much smaller chunks, and skip the nation-wdie
> >grid to distribute it.
> >
> >> There is no giant plastic dome over the USA, or Berkeley CA, that
> >makes our emissions control our weather.
> >
> >But your emissions still control your weather, and everybody else's.
> >
> >> And CO2 is good for the planet. We need more and, fortunately, will get it.
> >
> >It isn't. More CO2 may help weeds, but it creates other problems that
> >don't help the plants that we grow for food.

> I could snip this, bit it bears repeating.

__
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023

<fdcb7436-c903-461b-a551-051dfd2f3937n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133596&group=sci.electronics.design#133596

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 01:24:10 -0800 (PST)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 09:24 UTC

On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 05:48:45 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >And these estimates by NOAA are considered conservative.
> >
> >All the while U.S. is racing to produce as much gas and petroleum as possible. Manmade GHG emissions are increasing. Morons are doing as much as possible to obstruct conversion to renewable energy, defame new technologies, such as cold weather heat pumps, defame EVs.
> >
> >Democracy is clearly not working, or, maybe it is if you allow for people getting their just deserts as a benefit, some kind of correction as the finance industry describes disaster.
> >
> >https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/billions/events/US/2023?disasters[]=all-disasters

> The US accounts for 14% of world CO2 and that will decline greatly as
> developing countries keep developing. China and India build a coal
> power plant every few days, and people in Africa want electricity and
> trucks.
>
> There is no giant plastic dome over the USA, or Berkeley CA, that
> makes our emissions control our weather.

Excellent observation. It won't be necessary to address a dome problem
in those regions.

> And CO2 is good for the planet. We need more and, fortunately, will
> get it.

No, not fortune, rather we'll get the same sufficiency our ancestors had, from
mainly the same volcanoes, and the usual natural recycling.

Alas, 'the planet' isn't what we risk, but the crops and critters and human comforts.
The planet's mass and orbit won't change hardly at all.

Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023

<uo0b04$d1nr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133598&group=sci.electronics.design#133598

From: jer...@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 10:54:59 +0100
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 09:54 UTC

On 1/14/24 10:24, whit3rd wrote:
> On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 05:48:45 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> And these estimates by NOAA are considered conservative.
>>>
>>> All the while U.S. is racing to produce as much gas and petroleum as possible. Manmade GHG emissions are increasing. Morons are doing as much as possible to obstruct conversion to renewable energy, defame new technologies, such as cold weather heat pumps, defame EVs.
>>>
>>> Democracy is clearly not working, or, maybe it is if you allow for people getting their just deserts as a benefit, some kind of correction as the finance industry describes disaster.
>>>
>>> https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/billions/events/US/2023?disasters[]=all-disasters
>
>> The US accounts for 14% of world CO2 and that will decline greatly as
>> developing countries keep developing. China and India build a coal
>> power plant every few days, and people in Africa want electricity and
>> trucks.
>>
>> There is no giant plastic dome over the USA, or Berkeley CA, that
>> makes our emissions control our weather.
>
> Excellent observation. It won't be necessary to address a dome problem
> in those regions.

OT anecdote: While flying to Rome one bright and calm summer day,
I saw in the distance what looked like a yellowish half-sphere
sitting on the landscape. On further approach, this turned out
to be a stagnant dome of polluted air over the city of Rome!

We humans are a disgusting lot.

Jeroen Belleman

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: 23 +1Bn$ Extreme Weather Events In U.S. Alone In 2023