We have a equal opportunity Calculus class -- it's fully integrated.

tech / sci.math / minimum requirements for confident participation in sci.math

SubjectAuthor
* minimum requirements for confident participation in sci.mathKen Quirici
`- Re: minimum requirements for confident participation in sci.mathFromTheRafters

1
minimum requirements for confident participation in sci.math

<8d04013c-17a3-4320-8451-7e2f0a874eb7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133829&group=sci.math#133829

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 14:03:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: minimum requirements for confident participation in sci.math
From: kquir...@yahoo.com (Ken Quirici)
 by: Ken Quirici - Sat, 6 May 2023 21:03 UTC

Not to be elitist, but I think as a bare minimum you should learn proof by starting with say book 1 of Euclid's Elements.

Then try to find a proof of the Mean Value Theorem and master that.

I at one time had done both of these things although by now I wouldn't be able to duplicate either one of those.

But at one time I was able to do both, and that's enough for me to respect a real proof in mathematics.

This particular group (no offense) is marked by so many posts from people who have never been through much less understood a real proof in real mathematics. And all these people are basically lowering the tone of discourse in this group to the point that it's basically worthless. Or at least to find some worth is so time-consuming as to be not worth the effort.

I just urge people to at least try the two possible proof examples I've given. You'll find it very rewarding. You may see how beautiful real math is compared to the BS that floods this group.

Re: minimum requirements for confident participation in sci.math

<u36gap$30piv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133830&group=sci.math#133830

From: FTR...@nomail.afraid.org (FromTheRafters)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 17:20:18 -0400
 by: FromTheRafters - Sat, 6 May 2023 21:20 UTC

Ken Quirici explained on 5/6/2023 :
> Not to be elitist, but I think as a bare minimum you should learn proof by
> starting with say book 1 of Euclid's Elements.
>
> Then try to find a proof of the Mean Value Theorem and master that.
>
> I at one time had done both of these things although by now I wouldn't be
> able to duplicate either one of those.
>
> But at one time I was able to do both, and that's enough for me to respect a
> real proof in mathematics.
>
> This particular group (no offense) is marked by so many posts from people who
> have never been through much less understood a real proof in real
> mathematics. And all these people are basically lowering the tone of
> discourse in this group to the point that it's basically worthless. Or at
> least to find some worth is so time-consuming as to be not worth the effort.
>
> I just urge people to at least try the two possible proof examples I've
> given. You'll find it very rewarding. You may see how beautiful real math is
> compared to the BS that floods this group.

I agree, but it is not as bad when using a real NNTP client instead of
Google Groups' NNTP portal.