From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: About the Mars helicopter electronics
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 05:29:33 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 05:29 UTC

About the Mars helicopter electronics
It turns out NASA's Mars helicopter was much more revolutionary than we knew
Ingenuity packed more computing power than all other NASA deep space missions combined.
https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/01/now-that-weve-flown-on-mars-what-comes-next-in-aerial-planetary-exploration/

Quote:
" Instead, Tzanetos said Ingenuity uses a 2015-era smartphone computer chip, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor. It has a mass of half an ounce.
"

No rad proof stuff, just what we use everyday ...

Re: About the Mars helicopter electronics

<93airi9nf0kedadpfb58h9ppdvp9t10s8f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134082&group=sci.electronics.design#134082

From: boB...@K7IQ.com (boB)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: About the Mars helicopter electronics
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:49:30 -0700
 by: boB - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:49 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 05:29:33 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

>About the Mars helicopter electronics
>It turns out NASA's Mars helicopter was much more revolutionary than we knew
>Ingenuity packed more computing power than all other NASA deep space missions combined.
> https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/01/now-that-weve-flown-on-mars-what-comes-next-in-aerial-planetary-exploration/
>
>Quote:
>" Instead, Tzanetos said Ingenuity uses a 2015-era smartphone computer chip, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor. It has a mass of half an ounce.
>"
>
>No rad proof stuff, just what we use everyday ...

Would LOVE to see schematics and software listings !

And a tear-down. Nobody on YT seems to have one to take apart though.
:)

boB

Re: About the Mars helicopter electronics

<56cirihdfehqfe1olvthia12gh95muods2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134084&group=sci.electronics.design#134084

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:24:50 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:24 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:49:30 -0700, boB <boB@K7IQ.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 05:29:33 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>About the Mars helicopter electronics
>>It turns out NASA's Mars helicopter was much more revolutionary than we knew
>>Ingenuity packed more computing power than all other NASA deep space missions combined.
>> https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/01/now-that-weve-flown-on-mars-what-comes-next-in-aerial-planetary-exploration/
>>
>>Quote:
>>" Instead, Tzanetos said Ingenuity uses a 2015-era smartphone computer chip, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor. It has a mass of half an ounce.
>>"
>>
>>No rad proof stuff, just what we use everyday ...
>

>Would LOVE to see schematics and software listings !
>
>And a tear-down. Nobody on YT seems to have one to take apart though.
>:)
>
>boB

They will be on ebay soon.

Re: About the Mars helicopter electronics

<upco54$1520b$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134110&group=sci.electronics.design#134110

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 06:08:36 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 06:08 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:49:30 -0700) it happened boB
<boB@K7IQ.com> wrote in <93airi9nf0kedadpfb58h9ppdvp9t10s8f@4ax.com>:

>On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 05:29:33 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>About the Mars helicopter electronics
>>It turns out NASA's Mars helicopter was much more revolutionary than we knew
>>Ingenuity packed more computing power than all other NASA deep space missions combined.
>> https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/01/now-that-weve-flown-on-mars-what-comes-next-in-aerial-planetary-exploration/
>>
>>Quote:
>>" Instead, Tzanetos said Ingenuity uses a 2015-era smartphone computer chip, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor. It has a mass
>>of half an ounce.
>>"
>>
>>No rad proof stuff, just what we use everyday ...
>

>Would LOVE to see schematics and software listings !
>
>And a tear-down. Nobody on YT seems to have one to take apart though.
>:)

There was a lot on the net back then about that Mars helicopter
and the camera and chips used.
google is your friend:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingenuity_(helicopter)
quote from that wikipedia link:
"Ingenuity is equipped with two commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) cameras:
a high-resolution Return to Earth (RTE) camera and a lower resolution navigation (NAV) camera.
The RTE camera consists of the Sony IMX 214, a rolling shutter, 4208 × 3120-pixel resolution color sensor,
fitted with a Bayer color filter array and an O-film optics module.
The NAV camera consists of an Omnivision OV7251, a 640 × 480 black and white global shutter sensor,
mounted to a Sunny optics module[22].
"
Click on all the sub-links, 22 goes here for example:
https://rotorcraft.arc.nasa.gov/Publications/files/Balaram_AIAA2018_0023.pdf