HOST SYSTEM RESPONDING, PROBABLY UP...

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofjohn larkin
+- Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofAnthony William Sloman
`* Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofDan Purgert
 +* Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofJohn Larkin
 |+- Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofAnthony William Sloman
 |+* Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofwhit3rd
 ||+- Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofAnthony William Sloman
 ||`* Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofJohn Larkin
 || +- Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofAnthony William Sloman
 || `- Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofjim whitby
 |`* Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofDan Purgert
 | `* Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofJohn Larkin
 |  `- Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofAnthony William Sloman
 `- Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals ofJohn Larkin

1
Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<buv7ri52geitppjdrgrmdcm3liqalspvc1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133892&group=sci.electronics.design#133892

From: jl...@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:57:14 -0800
 by: john larkin - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:57 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:11:43 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>'My Administration is announcing today a temporary pause on pending decisions of Liquefied Natural Gas exports – with the exception of unanticipated and immediate national security emergencies. During this period, we will take a hard look at the impacts of LNG exports on energy costs, America’s energy security, and our environment. This pause on new LNG approvals sees the climate crisis for what it is: the existential threat of our time.
>
>While MAGA Republicans willfully deny the urgency of the climate crisis, condemning the American people to a dangerous future, my Administration will not be complacent. We will not cede to special interests.'
>
>https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2024/01/26/statement-from-president-joe-biden-on-decision-to-pause-pending-approvals-of-liquefied-natural-gas-exports/

The world will get energy from coal if they can't get NG.

But we can leave our gas in the ground for our future use. Let Japan
and China and India and Germany burn coal. Lots of coal.

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<12eac093-e60b-4371-b808-135eb6e44ca5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=133913&group=sci.electronics.design#133913

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:51:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending
Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 02:51 UTC

On Saturday, January 27, 2024 at 5:57:31 AM UTC+11, john larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:11:43 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >'My Administration is announcing today a temporary pause on pending decisions of Liquefied Natural Gas exports – with the exception of unanticipated and immediate national security emergencies. During this period, we will take a hard look at the impacts of LNG exports on energy costs, America’s energy security, and our environment. This pause on new LNG approvals sees the climate crisis for what it is: the existential threat of our time.
> >
> >While MAGA Republicans willfully deny the urgency of the climate crisis, condemning the American people to a dangerous future, my Administration will not be complacent. We will not cede to special interests.'
> >
> >https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2024/01/26/statement-from-president-joe-biden-on-decision-to-pause-pending-approvals-of-liquefied-natural-gas-exports/
>
> The world will get energy from coal if they can't get NG.

They will get it from wind turbines and solar cells, which happen to provide cheaper energy than burning coal or liquified natural gas.

It is going to take a while before here are enough wind turbine and solar cells to provide most of the energy we need, but no amount of lying propaganda from the fossil carbon extraction industry is going to keep them in business as energy suppliers. Fossil carbon as a chemical feedstock will still be an item of commerce, but the volume will be way down

> But we can leave our gas in the ground for our future use. Let Japan and China and India and Germany burn coal. Lots of coal.

Only if you want anthropogenic global warming - lots of global warming.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<slrnurf3p6.2h7.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134011&group=sci.electronics.design#134011

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:40:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:40 UTC

On 2024-01-26, john larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:11:43 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
>> [...]
> The world will get energy from coal if they can't get NG.
>
> But we can leave our gas in the ground for our future use. Let Japan
> and China and India and Germany burn coal. Lots of coal.

And "we" (the monkeys with computers) need to really figure this energy
mess out, especially if "we" want to stick about.

It's somewhat disheartening that the kids associate "Christmas" with
"rainy"... (noting that as a kid, it was pretty much guaranteed to be
snowy from Thanksgiving to April).

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<6nbfrillp53jgko75hgb6f3fnopbspvt56@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134014&group=sci.electronics.design#134014

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 06:10:10 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:10 UTC

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:40:39 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
wrote:

>On 2024-01-26, john larkin wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:11:43 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
>>> [...]
>> The world will get energy from coal if they can't get NG.
>>
>> But we can leave our gas in the ground for our future use. Let Japan
>> and China and India and Germany burn coal. Lots of coal.
>
>And "we" (the monkeys with computers) need to really figure this energy
>mess out, especially if "we" want to stick about.

So many people are convinced that a little CO2 will kill all life on
earth, in their short bleak lifetimes. It's a new mass neurosis. If
the heat doesn't kill you, the polar vortex will. Weird.

>It's somewhat disheartening that the kids associate "Christmas" with
>"rainy"... (noting that as a kid, it was pretty much guaranteed to be
>snowy from Thanksgiving to April).

Where's that? The NE USA and Canada recently had snow-copalis. There's
still lots on the ground.

The ski season started slow in Truckee but is pretty good now, with
more predicted. It's snowing pretty hard this instant.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/downtown-truckee-california

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<mecfripo38449a837fa3fccgq8np4gj9lk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134015&group=sci.electronics.design#134015

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 06:16:23 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:16 UTC

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 05:09:18 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, January 29, 2024 at 6:40:46?AM UTC-5, Dan Purgert wrote:
>> On 2024-01-26, john larkin wrote:
>> > On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:11:43 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
>> > The world will get energy from coal if they can't get NG.
>> >
>> > But we can leave our gas in the ground for our future use. Let Japan
>> > and China and India and Germany burn coal. Lots of coal.
>> And "we" (the monkeys with computers) need to really figure this energy
>> mess out, especially if "we" want to stick about.
>>
>> It's somewhat disheartening that the kids associate "Christmas" with
>> "rainy"... (noting that as a kid, it was pretty much guaranteed to be
>> snowy from Thanksgiving to April).
>
>You can always move to Japan. Their mountainous east side abutting the Sea of Japan, regularly gets 5 meters of snow yearly.

In a good year, Sugar Bowl gets 80 feet up top. The base is only 77"
right now, packed down.

In the last few years, a new glacier has formed near The Deadly Resort
Formerly Known As Squaw Valley. They recently buried a bunch of
skiiers under an avalanche.

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<8d6d733d-67cd-4b07-8a15-825e4198144en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134052&group=sci.electronics.design#134052

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 18:48:42 -0800 (PST)
Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 02:48 UTC

On Tuesday, January 30, 2024 at 1:11:41 AM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:40:39 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <d...@djph.net>
> wrote:
> >On 2024-01-26, john larkin wrote:
> >> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:11:43 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
> >> The world will get energy from coal if they can't get NG.
> >>
> >> But we can leave our gas in the ground for our future use. Let Japan
> >> and China and India and Germany burn coal. Lots of coal.
> >
> >And "we" (the monkeys with computers) need to really figure this energy
> >mess out, especially if "we" want to stick about.
>
> So many people are convinced that a little CO2 will kill all life on
> earth, in their short bleak lifetimes. It's a new mass neurosis. If
> the heat doesn't kill you, the polar vortex will. Weird.

Nobody is actually convinced of anything of the sort. The climate change denial propaganda machine likes to claim that people who accept the reality of global warming think that it is going to have much worse effects than anybody has actually claimed, as part of their strategy of mispresenting orthodox science as lunatic alarmism, but it's just lying propaganda.

John Larkin is gullible enough to repost their nonsense.

> >It's somewhat disheartening that the kids associate "Christmas" with
> >"rainy"... (noting that as a kid, it was pretty much guaranteed to be
> >snowy from Thanksgiving to April).
>
> Where's that? The NE USA and Canada recently had snow-copalis. There's
> still lots on the ground.
>
> The ski season started slow in Truckee but is pretty good now, with
> more predicted. It's snowing pretty hard this instant.
>
> https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/downtown-truckee-california

Anthropogenic global warming means warmer ocean surfaces, and more water evaporating off the oceans. When it gets above land it falls as rain and snow - more of it than when the surface was cooler. The surfaces it hits are also warmer, so the rain evaporates faster. Snow reflects a lot of the sunlight that hits it and can persist through the year - if you get enough snow you can get year-round snow cover, which is one way of starting an ice age (if there isn't a lot of CO2 in the air).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<fcac2096-356b-47d9-97b2-14f25088cc42n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134061&group=sci.electronics.design#134061

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 00:28:57 -0800 (PST)
Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 08:28 UTC

On Monday, January 29, 2024 at 6:11:41 AM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:
> So many people are convinced that a little CO2 will kill all life on
> earth, in their short bleak lifetimes. It's a new mass neurosis. If
> the heat doesn't kill you, the polar vortex will. Weird.

You're conflating climate change with the life-on-earth
issue of species extinctions. Or, do you think that climate change is
a principal causation?

The big human problem that will hurt us soonest, is the unreliability of
traditional water sources. Things like the Ganges running dry for a few summer
months, and of course the ever-popular unprecedented floods.
Lots of early settlements, and familiar place names, are derived from a
water source (lake, river, springfield...) because those were the best
sites for survival. Delaware, for instance, isn't named after the lord
de la Warre, but after the Delaware River (bearing the name of that
expedition-of-discovery sponsor from pre-settlement years).

Water is key. Flush toilets are the technology that makes our cities possible.

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<90e712e7-5cea-4fd2-af41-3a74ad5051a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134069&group=sci.electronics.design#134069

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 03:38:57 -0800 (PST)
Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:38 UTC

On Tuesday, January 30, 2024 at 7:29:03 PM UTC+11, whit3rd wrote:
> On Monday, January 29, 2024 at 6:11:41 AM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:
> > So many people are convinced that a little CO2 will kill all life on
> > earth, in their short bleak lifetimes. It's a new mass neurosis. If
> > the heat doesn't kill you, the polar vortex will. Weird.
>
> You're conflating climate change with the life-on-earth
> issue of species extinctions.

He isn't. He's just blindly recycling climate change denial propaganda.

> Or, do you think that climate change is a principal causation?

He's not thinking for himself at all - if he were he might be able to work out that anthropogenic global warming is real, and actually worth worrying about, but he's not up to that.
> The big human problem that will hurt us soonest, is the unreliability of
> traditional water sources. Things like the Ganges running dry for a few summer
> months, and of course the ever-popular unprecedented floods.
> Lots of early settlements, and familiar place names, are derived from a
> water source (lake, river, springfield...) because those were the best
> sites for survival. Delaware, for instance, isn't named after the lord
> de la Warre, but after the Delaware River (bearing the name of that
> expedition-of-discovery sponsor from pre-settlement years).

Modern cities tend to spend money on getting reliable water supplies. Sydney has a fairly big desalination plant - it's not doing much at the moment, but it gets turned on in dry summers.
> Water is key. Flush toilets are the technology that makes our cities possible.

But there's a lot of it about, and we do know how to move it where we want it to go.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<slrnuri2ue.2h7.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134075&group=sci.electronics.design#134075

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 14:44:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 14:44 UTC

On 2024-01-29, John Larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:40:39 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On 2024-01-26, john larkin wrote:
>>> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:11:43 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
>>> The world will get energy from coal if they can't get NG.
>>>
>>> But we can leave our gas in the ground for our future use. Let Japan
>>> and China and India and Germany burn coal. Lots of coal.
>>
>>And "we" (the monkeys with computers) need to really figure this energy
>>mess out, especially if "we" want to stick about.
>
> So many people are convinced that a little CO2 will kill all life on
> earth, in their short bleak lifetimes. It's a new mass neurosis. If
> the heat doesn't kill you, the polar vortex will. Weird.
>

>>It's somewhat disheartening that the kids associate "Christmas" with
>>"rainy"... (noting that as a kid, it was pretty much guaranteed to be
>>snowy from Thanksgiving to April).
>
> Where's that? The NE USA and Canada recently had snow-copalis. There's
> still lots on the ground.

Just off Lake Erie here. Sure we had a few days of wicked cold and
snow, but it's once again green. Been like this easily the last 4-5
years, if not longer.

Know a couple of people who do maple sugaring, and they've been saying
the warm spells are messing with the trees nowadays too ...

I'm certainly not a climate scientist, so maybe this is actually a bit
of a "normal" spell the planet goes through. But we've had more than a
few "environmental crises" since I was a kid:

- acid rain (industry cleaned up, and it's been somewhat solved?)
- ozone layer (stopped using CFCs, and it's been somewhat solved?)
- climate change (ehhh ... )

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<0u7irid2lekhofjhqddm8udar2ssrjvm5d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134078&group=sci.electronics.design#134078

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 08:13:39 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:13 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 00:28:57 -0800 (PST), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Monday, January 29, 2024 at 6:11:41?AM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:
>> So many people are convinced that a little CO2 will kill all life on
>> earth, in their short bleak lifetimes. It's a new mass neurosis. If
>> the heat doesn't kill you, the polar vortex will. Weird.
>
>You're conflating climate change with the life-on-earth
>issue of species extinctions. Or, do you think that climate change is
>a principal causation?

I think that extreme climate change is a social pathology.

>The big human problem that will hurt us soonest, is the unreliability of
>traditional water sources. Things like the Ganges running dry for a few summer
>months, and of course the ever-popular unprecedented floods.

Is any of that new?

>Lots of early settlements, and familiar place names, are derived from a
>water source (lake, river, springfield...) because those were the best
>sites for survival. Delaware, for instance, isn't named after the lord
>de la Warre, but after the Delaware River (bearing the name of that
>expedition-of-discovery sponsor from pre-settlement years).
>
>Water is key. Flush toilets are the technology that makes our cities possible.

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<138iri5c78ubij3hv0m0c6k8ttr3mlv75n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134079&group=sci.electronics.design#134079

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 08:14:50 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:14 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 14:44:47 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
wrote:

>On 2024-01-29, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:40:39 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>
>> wrote:

>>>And "we" (the monkeys with computers) need to really figure this energy
>>>mess out, especially if "we" want to stick about.
>>
>> So many people are convinced that a little CO2 will kill all life on
>> earth, in their short bleak lifetimes. It's a new mass neurosis. If
>> the heat doesn't kill you, the polar vortex will. Weird.
>>

>>>It's somewhat disheartening that the kids associate "Christmas" with
>>>"rainy"... (noting that as a kid, it was pretty much guaranteed to be
>>>snowy from Thanksgiving to April).
>>
>> Where's that? The NE USA and Canada recently had snow-copalis. There's
>> still lots on the ground.
>
>Just off Lake Erie here. Sure we had a few days of wicked cold and
>snow, but it's once again green. Been like this easily the last 4-5
>years, if not longer.
>
>Know a couple of people who do maple sugaring, and they've been saying
>the warm spells are messing with the trees nowadays too ...
>
>I'm certainly not a climate scientist, so maybe this is actually a bit
>of a "normal" spell the planet goes through. But we've had more than a
>few "environmental crises" since I was a kid:
>
> - acid rain (industry cleaned up, and it's been somewhat solved?)
> - ozone layer (stopped using CFCs, and it's been somewhat solved?)
> - climate change (ehhh ... )

Be as afraid as you enjoy.

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<f7a4b8a6-00c7-4b39-901a-919c4d530e9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134102&group=sci.electronics.design#134102

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:28:31 -0800 (PST)
Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:28 UTC

On Wednesday, January 31, 2024 at 3:15:09 AM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 00:28:57 -0800 (PST), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On Monday, January 29, 2024 at 6:11:41?AM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:
> >> So many people are convinced that a little CO2 will kill all life on
> >> earth, in their short bleak lifetimes. It's a new mass neurosis. If
> >> the heat doesn't kill you, the polar vortex will. Weird.
> >
> >You're conflating climate change with the life-on-earth
> >issue of species extinctions. Or, do you think that climate change is
> >a principal causation?
>
> I think that extreme climate change is a social pathology.

You don't think at all. Extreme climate change is measurable changes in weather, and has nothing to do with social pathology.

Ignoring the the changes in the weather that are happening would be a social pathology, and that's an exact description of climate change denial propaganda.

<snip>

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<d21e3369-0e10-496c-913b-d5867463bd65n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134103&group=sci.electronics.design#134103

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:41:57 -0800 (PST)
Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:41 UTC

On Wednesday, January 31, 2024 at 3:16:14 AM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 14:44:47 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert <d...@djph.net> wrote:

<snip>
> >I'm certainly not a climate scientist, so maybe this is actually a bit
> >of a "normal" spell the planet goes through. But we've had more than a
> >few "environmental crises" since I was a kid:
> >
> > - acid rain (industry cleaned up, and it's been somewhat solved?)
> > - ozone layer (stopped using CFCs, and it's been somewhat solved?)
> > - climate change (ehhh ... )
>
> Be as afraid as you enjoy.

He's clearly not afraid and fear is not an enjoyable emotion, as you'd know if you had enough sense to experience it.

Acid rain was mainly sulphur dioxide being emitted from coal burning power generating plants. They've mostly be fitted with smoke-stack scrubbers, and the problem has gone away. The ozone layer was being wrecked by chloro-fluorocarbons in the stratosphere. We aren't putting any more up there (give or take a few irresopnsible idiots) and what's still up there is going away,

Climate change is being dealt with - not as fast as it might be. The rate of CO2 emission hasn't stated going down yet, but it should do so soon. The critical point is that renewable generation now produces cheaper electricity than burning fossil carbon, and fossil carbon is being phased out as an expensive fuel, in a way that doesn't damage the economy.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Statement from President Joe Biden on Decision to Pause Pending Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports

<upduj3$1jt04$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134130&group=sci.electronics.design#134130

From: mr.sp...@spockmall.net (jim whitby)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Approvals of Liquefied Natural Gas Exports
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:04:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jim whitby - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:04 UTC

Pardon me if this a dupe.

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 08:13:39 -0800, John Larkin wrote:
<snip>

> Is any of that new?

Of course it's all new (money ), just ask Al Gore....

--
Jim Whitby

I smell a RANCID CORN DOG!
Mageia release 9 (Official) for x86_64