If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. -- Albert Einstein

tech / sci.math / Re: Students: don't be fooled by the silly "New Calculus" of Mr Gabriel

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Students: don't be fooled by the silly "New Calculus" of Mr GabrielEram semper recta
`* Re: Students: don't be fooled by the silly "New Calculus" of Mr GabrielEram semper recta
 `* Re: Students: don't be fooled by the silly "New Calculus" of Mr GabrielEram semper recta
  +- Re: Students: don't be fooled by the silly "New Calculus" of Mr GabrielEram semper recta
  `* Re: Students: don't be fooled by the silly "New Calculus" of Mr Gabrielmarkus...@gmail.com
   `- Re: Students: don't be fooled by the silly "New Calculus" of Mr GabrielEram semper recta

1
Re: Students: don't be fooled by the silly "New Calculus" of Mr Gabriel

<722fc186-d661-4ae5-a56b-c20987fd6d52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134254&group=sci.math#134254

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 11:41:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Students: don't be fooled by the silly "New Calculus" of Mr Gabriel
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Thu, 11 May 2023 18:41 UTC

On Tuesday, 13 April 2021 at 06:23:36 UTC-4, Quantum Bubbles wrote:
> [...]
>
> The Road to Reality
>
> which provides beautiful illustrations of what many of the mathematical ideas you study can be used to do in physics. You won't find a better guide than Penrose on that sort of thing. A brilliant teacher and a true inspiration.
>
> The book: How to Solve it, by G. Polya, is a classic short guide for undergraduates in developing problem solving skills in mathematics. Far more worthy of your time than Mr Gabriel's output.
>

> 3] Books on analysis
>
> The best book on analysis FOR YOU, is the one that is easiest to learn from FOR YOU. There is no universally suitable book and no book is perfect. An excellent book for students who lack confidence is:
>
> Fundamentals of Mathematical Analysis 2nd ed, by Rod Haggarty.
>
> It goes at a gentle pace, has diagrams, historical asides, and solutions to exercises. Good for self-study. It's only significant drawback is that it doesn't construct the real numbers. But for that, you can look up explanations of Dedekind cuts on the internet.
>
> I found my first and second year courses on real analysis quite difficult at first, but I bought Haggarty's book, threw myself into it and I aced my courses and went on to study the Calculus of Variations at MSc level later on. I didn't disrupt my education by indulging the silly idea that real analysis was built on obvious delusions and lies. That way represents the slow decent into bitterness and madness.
>
> A book which is somewhat more difficult (but not impossibly hard), but which has a beautiful style of exposition and does look at Dedekind cuts, is the classic text:
>
> A Course in Pure Mathematics (centenary edition), by G.H. Hardy
>
> Having both texts so that you can switch between them is a perfectly good strategy. Don't be afraid to have different books on the same subject. Professional mathematicians often do.
>

> 4] Genuinely helpful YouTube channels
>
> One of the least toxic places on YouTube, hosted by a university lecturer, lots of short advice videos about studying mathematics, book reviews and much else:
>
> The Math Sorcerer: https://www.youtube.com/user/themathsorcerer
>
> For good lecture series on mathematics and other topics, such as linear algebra, visit MITOpenCourseWare
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEBb1b_L6zDS3xTUrIALZOw
>
> For some very beautiful visual presentations of mathematical ideas, you would find it hard to do better than 3Blue1Brown:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYO_jab_esuFRV4b17AJtAw
>
> Best of luck with your mathematics studies, and don't allow yourselves to be done a disservice by silly conspiracy theories. Seek assistance from your college or university if you are having difficulty with a particular subject or study in general; it is perfectly normal, and can be dealt with by seeking out good advice from your tutors, library or study support departments. Not by wasting your time on delirious rantings on the internet.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Students: don't be fooled by the silly "New Calculus" of Mr Gabriel

<1e7b7821-382c-4eef-98d7-00908e151099n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=134255&group=sci.math#134255

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 11:44:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Thu, 11 May 2023 18:44 UTC

<ab7f6ccf-97db-4634-9a24-7ab27b58b19cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=138865&group=sci.math#138865

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 08:39:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 15:39 UTC

<ba550372-28a0-466d-9147-44d68942678dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=147276&group=sci.math#147276

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 16:34:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 23:34 UTC

<03049ebd-cecb-4aee-8bad-8ec2425d04fdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=147427&group=sci.math#147427

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 09:28:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: markuskl...@gmail.com (markus...@gmail.com)
 by: markus...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:28 UTC

måndag 26 juni 2023 kl. 17:39:27 UTC+2 skrev Eram semper recta:
> On Thursday, 11 May 2023 at 14:44:20 UTC-4, Eram semper recta wrote:

> > > This lying anonymous bastard continues to spew out his vomit.
> > >
> > > Read for yourself what I have to say and not what some dumb UK cunt spews out here on sci.math:
> > >
> > > https://independent.academia.edu/JohnGabriel30
> > Begin with my historic geometric theorem of January 2020 which exposes the lie that mainstream calculus was ever rigorous:
> >
> > https://www.academia.edu/62358358/My_historic_geometric_theorem_of_January_2020
> >
> > https://www.academia.edu/79881709/Six_simple_reasons_why_the_mainstream_derivative_definition_of_calculus_is_flawed
> >
> > and much more at the above link: https://independent.academia.edu/JohnGabriel30
> Want to learn calculus in just two pages? See below.
>
> https://www.academia.edu/103723139/My_historic_geometric_theorem_for_Dummies
You still struggle with calculus?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Students: don't be fooled by the silly "New Calculus" of Mr Gabriel

<420dfac6-5d28-493c-b996-b0bb0e21911cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=147440&group=sci.math#147440

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 10:42:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 17:42 UTC

On Thursday, 7 September 2023 at 12:28:55 UTC-4, markus...