Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 22:44:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Human language goes back 40ma
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Sun, 1 Aug 2021 05:44 UTC

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/43/eabb0725

Abstract
The ability to track syntactic relationships between words, particularly over
distances (“nonadjacent dependencies”), is a critical faculty underpinning
human language, although its evolutionary origins remain poorly understood.
While some monkey species are reported to process auditory nonadjacent
dependencies, comparative data from apes are missing, complicating
inferences regarding shared ancestry. Here, we examined nonadjacent
dependency processing in common marmosets, chimpanzees, and humans
using “artificial grammars”: strings of arbitrary acoustic stimuli composed
of adjacent (nonhumans) or nonadjacent (all species) dependencies.
Individuals from each species (i) generalized the grammars to novel stimuli
and (ii) detected grammatical violations, indicating that they processed the
dependencies between constituent elements. Furthermore, there was no
difference between marmosets and chimpanzees in their sensitivity to
nonadjacent dependencies. These notable similarities between monkeys,
apes, and humans indicate that nonadjacent dependency processing, a
crucial cognitive facilitator of language, is an ancestral trait that evolved
at least ~40 million years before language itself.

"Specifically, we present the first evidence of auditory Non-AD processing
in chimpanzees, which confirms, in conjunction with our directly comparable
marmoset data, that this capacity did not evolve convergently in humans and
nonhuman primates but rather has ancestral origins dating back at least ~40
million years."

Re: Human language goes back 40ma

<7b41f2ea-47f5-45be-b754-fcc91417e6f8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=13438&group=sci.lang#13438

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 05:28:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Human language goes back 40ma
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Sun, 1 Aug 2021 12:28 UTC

On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 1:44:42 AM UTC-4, daud....@gmail.com wrote:
> https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/43/eabb0725
>
> Abstract
> The ability to track syntactic relationships between words, particularly over
> distances (“nonadjacent dependencies”), is a critical faculty underpinning
> human language, although its evolutionary origins remain poorly understood.
> While some monkey species are reported to process auditory nonadjacent
> dependencies, comparative data from apes are missing, complicating
> inferences regarding shared ancestry. Here, we examined nonadjacent
> dependency processing in common marmosets, chimpanzees, and humans
> using “artificial grammars”: strings of arbitrary acoustic stimuli composed
> of adjacent (nonhumans) or nonadjacent (all species) dependencies.
> Individuals from each species (i) generalized the grammars to novel stimuli
> and (ii) detected grammatical violations, indicating that they processed the
> dependencies between constituent elements. Furthermore, there was no
> difference between marmosets and chimpanzees in their sensitivity to
> nonadjacent dependencies. These notable similarities between monkeys,
> apes, and humans indicate that nonadjacent dependency processing, a
> crucial cognitive facilitator of language, is an ancestral trait that evolved
> at least ~40 million years before language itself.
>
> "Specifically, we present the first evidence of auditory Non-AD processing
> in chimpanzees, which confirms, in conjunction with our directly comparable
> marmoset data, that this capacity did not evolve convergently in humans and
> nonhuman primates but rather has ancestral origins dating back at least ~40
> million years."

Based on the bankrupt 20-year-old theory of Hauser, Chomsky, & Fitch.