From: fizzbint...@that-google-mail-domain.com (Tom Del Rosso)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Alternator at 20 volts
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 10:09:20 -0500
 by: Tom Del Rosso - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 15:09 UTC

97 Mercury Grand Marqis

Alternator is under 6 months old. Shop had said the regulator was inside
it.

Last night when it started, the dash lights wouldn't go on (but they
still work when it's on battery).

I noticed the voltage indicator was at max so I turned off the radio. I
had a DMM with me and measured 19.5V in the cig lighter, going up 0.1V
every few seconds. It was only running at high voltage for a minute or
so.

Fortunately I was already parked around the corner from the shop, but
they were closed, so I left it there.

I guess the dash lights didn't work because they have variable
brightness and the dimming circuit was confused. They were on when I
parked just minutes earlier, so it seems likely the voltage wasn't high
before it was parked.

The shop will have to start it again, so how long before that damages
the battery or something?

--
Defund the Thought Police

Re: Alternator at 20 volts

<stos53$fhq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1342&group=rec.autos.tech#1342

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: Alternator at 20 volts
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 16:14:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 16:14 UTC

Tom Del Rosso <fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com> wrote:
> The shop will have to start it again, so how long before that damages
> the battery or something?

Why would they _have_ to start it up?

I would remove the alternator, and test it on a bench setup
with a known good battery, both without load (except the fully
charged battery) and under some load. No need to start the car and
potentially damage lots of expensive electronics from overvoltage. If
the alternator tests bad, probably the internal regulator needs to
be replaced. If it tests good, I'd look to the wiring in the car,
especially ground straps/braids.

I would also question the health of the battery, I'm surprised that
the alternator was able to overdrive it to more than 19V.

Re: Alternator at 20 volts

<stosi4$n1f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1343&group=rec.autos.tech#1343

From: fizzbint...@that-google-mail-domain.com (Tom Del Rosso)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 11:21:20 -0500
 by: Tom Del Rosso - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 16:21 UTC

Mark Olson wrote:
> Tom Del Rosso <fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com> wrote:
>> The shop will have to start it again, so how long before that damages
>> the battery or something?
>
> Why would they _have_ to start it up?

I would expect any shop to look and see for themselves before believing
the owner.

> I would remove the alternator, and test it on a bench setup
> with a known good battery, both without load (except the fully
> charged battery) and under some load. No need to start the car and
> potentially damage lots of expensive electronics from overvoltage. If
> the alternator tests bad, probably the internal regulator needs to
> be replaced. If it tests good, I'd look to the wiring in the car,
> especially ground straps/braids.

Is it common for a shop to have a setup that can spin up an alternator?

> I would also question the health of the battery, I'm surprised that
> the alternator was able to overdrive it to more than 19V.

Should I tell them to replace it anyway?

--
Defund the Thought Police

Re: Alternator at 20 volts

<stpa16$j3f$1@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1344&group=rec.autos.tech#1344

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: 6 Feb 2022 20:11:18 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 20:11 UTC

Tom Del Rosso <fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com> wrote:
>Mark Olson wrote:
>> Tom Del Rosso <fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com> wrote:
>>> The shop will have to start it again, so how long before that damages
>>> the battery or something?
>>
>> Why would they _have_ to start it up?
>
>I would expect any shop to look and see for themselves before believing
>the owner.

You need to find a real auto electrical shop.

>> I would remove the alternator, and test it on a bench setup
>> with a known good battery, both without load (except the fully
>> charged battery) and under some load. No need to start the car and
>> potentially damage lots of expensive electronics from overvoltage. If
>> the alternator tests bad, probably the internal regulator needs to
>> be replaced. If it tests good, I'd look to the wiring in the car,
>> especially ground straps/braids.
>
>Is it common for a shop to have a setup that can spin up an alternator?

Yes. Any auto electrical shop will have a test rig for alternators and
starters.

>> I would also question the health of the battery, I'm surprised that
>> the alternator was able to overdrive it to more than 19V.
>
>Should I tell them to replace it anyway?

The battery? No, but I'd definitely check the level. If it has been run
overvoltage for a while, the fluid will be way low. And remember, if you
are seeing 19V at the buss, and the battery is trying to pull down the
voltage to 14V or so, then you likely have well over 20V coming out of the
alternator.

Pull the regulator, check for shorted SCRs. If the board has been rebuilt
with cheap substandard parts, it'll be evident when you have it out on the
bench. If that's the case, check the bushings and brushes too to make sure
that they are of reasonable quality.
--scott

Re: Alternator at 20 volts

<stqb9j$1olf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1345&group=rec.autos.tech#1345

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 05:39:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 05:39 UTC

On 6 Feb 2022 20:11:18 -0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:

>>Is it common for a shop to have a setup that can spin up an alternator?
>
> Yes. Any auto electrical shop will have a test rig for alternators and
> starters.

Almost every auto parts store by me has a tester for battery & alternator.
a. If the car can be driven, you drive it there.
b. They test the battery in the car with the engine not running.
c. They test the alternator in the car with the engine running.

I generally go to multiple stores (if I can) because they're kind of sleazy.
They want to sell new batteries and/or new alternators.

Nonetheless, _all_ will test the battery and alternator off the car too.
a. They have a machine that runs the alternator on a belt.
b. They plug in a special plug (different for each alternator).
c. And the readout tells them what it finds wrong.

My advice is before you go, charge the battery overnight if you can.
Otherwise they'll put it on a charger for you but that takes a couple of
hours as they can't reliably test a battery without it being charged.

Be advised, there are core charges for both battery & alternator.
Generally you get a new battery if it needs one.
Generally you get a rebuilt alternator if it needs one.