Look afar and see the end from the beginning.

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Arm swinging while sprinting

SubjectAuthor
* Arm swinging while sprintingDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
`- Re: Arm swinging while sprintingPrimum Sapienti

1
Arm swinging while sprinting

<338cd9a8-7206-492e-aa1e-121659a8f704n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13469&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13469

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:34:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Arm swinging while sprinting
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 00:34 UTC

Armless sprinting (arms held at chest)

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/04/220420133535.htm

Arm swinging during sprinting :

- on flat straight open course, slightly faster than armless sprinting

- on rough shrub-cluttered non-straight course, much faster due to gyroscopic balancing?

I knew an armless guy who could run moderately fast, swinging his torso side to side for balance.

Re: Arm swinging while sprinting

<t6f8jf$1b6fm$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13691&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13691

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Re: Arm swinging while sprinting
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 00:11:56 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Mon, 23 May 2022 06:11 UTC

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
> Armless sprinting (arms held at chest)
>
> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/04/220420133535.htm
>
> Arm swinging during sprinting :
>
> - on flat straight open course, slightly faster than armless sprinting
>
> - on rough shrub-cluttered non-straight course, much faster due to gyroscopic balancing?
>
> I knew an armless guy who could run moderately fast, swinging his torso side to side for balance.

Good article.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0966636222000728
Does restricting arm motion compromise short sprint running performance?

Abstract
Background
Synchronized arm and leg motion are characteristic of human running. Leg
motion is an obvious gait requirement, but arm motion is not, and its
functional contribution to running performance is not known. Because
arm-leg coupling serves to reduce rotation about the body’s vertical axis,
arm motion may be necessary to achieve the body positions that optimize
ground force application and performance.

Also of importance:

In humans, breathing is decoupled from locomotion

https://researchmatters.in/news/endurance-running-and-human-evolution-what-does-new-evidence-hunter-gatherers-add-debate

"Sweating is a far more efficient way of cooling than panting, which is
the evaporation of water from the smaller surface area of the mouth and
lungs. Panting is distinguished from mouth-breathing—another human
behaviour that makes endurance running easy. The process of combined
mouth- and nose-breathing and the rate at which it happens, is also
decoupled from the mechanics of locomotion.

"In most running quadrupeds, the synchronised movement of the diaphragm
and visceral organs during running works to push air in and out of the
lungs, so
running speed is closely tied to the respiratory rate at a 1:1 ratio.
Hence, they
cannot increase their running speed without increasing their respiratory
rate.
Further, due to the necessity of panting through the mouth, there is a
point of
trade-off where greater running speed, requiring greater heat dissipation,
does
not allow for fast enough panting."