Beware of a tall black man with one blond shoe.

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: Ostrich bone density

SubjectAuthor
* Ostrich bone densityPrimum Sapienti
+* Re: Ostrich bone densitylittor...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Ostrich bone densityPrimum Sapienti
| `* Re: Ostrich bone densitylittor...@gmail.com
|  `- Re: Ostrich bone densityDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
`- Re: Ostrich bone densityDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

1
Ostrich bone density

<t402he$8av$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13500&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13500

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Ostrich bone density
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:24:02 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 05:24 UTC

"The ostrich Struthio camelus reaches the highest speeds of any extant biped,
and has been an extraordinary subject for studies of soft-tissue anatomy and
dynamics of locomotion."

"High safety factors suggest that bone densities and anatomy of the ostrich
tarsometatarsus confer strength for selectively critical activities, such
as fleeing
and kicking predators. "

https://www.calacademy.org/blogs/project-lab/ostrich-leg-bones

"Most birds have bones that have been adapted to their lifestyle in the air.
Their structure is hollow with an internal pattern of supportive struts
making
their skeleton much lighter than animals of similar size. If you cut a
slice out
of a bird’s bone it would looks a bit like a sponge. Since Ostriches do
not fly,
many of their bones are like our own-solid bone encasing a tube of marrow.
With such heavy legs it would be extremely difficult for an Ostrich to ever
take flight, but instead they have bones that can withstand pressure from
walking and standing. We see solid bones in other flightless birds like the
Emu and even some penguins."

Re: Ostrich bone density

<e28dc1a6-f519-497a-99c9-3c4deba15a5en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13505&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13505

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 00:59:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Ostrich bone density
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 07:59 UTC

> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4807808/
> "The ostrich Struthio camelus reaches the highest speeds of any extant biped,
> and has been an extraordinary subject for studies of soft-tissue anatomy and
> dynamics of locomotion."
> "High safety factors suggest that bone densities and anatomy of the ostrich
> tarsometatarsus confer strength for selectively critical activities, such
> as fleeing and kicking predators. "
> https://www.calacademy.org/blogs/project-lab/ostrich-leg-bones
> "Most birds have bones that have been adapted to their lifestyle in the air.
> Their structure is hollow with an internal pattern of supportive struts
> making
> their skeleton much lighter than animals of similar size. If you cut a
> slice out
> of a bird’s bone it would looks a bit like a sponge. Since Ostriches do not fly,
> many of their bones are like our own-solid bone encasing a tube of marrow..
> With such heavy legs it would be extremely difficult for an Ostrich to ever
> take flight, but instead they have bones that can withstand pressure from
> walking and standing. We see solid bones in other flightless birds like the
> Emu and even some penguins."

Very interesting, but irrelevant as to why H.erectus & partially neandertals still were pachy-osteo-sclerotic, as some idiots who confuse POS with normal bones of most mammals want us to believe.
POS or pachyosteosclerosis (extremely thick & heavy skeletons, possibly more brittle due to an excess of calcium) in tetrapods is exclusively seen in slow & shallow divers, incl. all aquatic mammals initially:
all early Cetacea & pinnipeds had POS, and Sirenia still have POS.
Google "coastal dispersal Pleistocene Homo PPT" (+ refs).

Re: Ostrich bone density

<0b5a03f1-978f-4a8d-ac3b-ee18ad16f2e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13512&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13512

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:37:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 17:37 UTC

On Saturday, April 23, 2022 at 1:24:00 AM UTC-4, Primum Sapienti wrote:
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4807808/
>
> "The ostrich Struthio camelus reaches the highest speeds of any extant biped,
> and has been an extraordinary subject for studies of soft-tissue anatomy and
> dynamics of locomotion."
>
> "High safety factors suggest that bone densities and anatomy of the ostrich
> tarsometatarsus confer strength for selectively critical activities, such
> as fleeing
> and kicking predators. "
>

> https://www.calacademy.org/blogs/project-lab/ostrich-leg-bones
>
> "Most birds have bones that have been adapted to their lifestyle in the air.
> Their structure is hollow with an internal pattern of supportive struts
> making
> their skeleton much lighter than animals of similar size. If you cut a
> slice out
> of a bird’s bone it would looks a bit like a sponge. Since Ostriches do
> not fly,
> many of their bones are like our own-solid bone encasing a tube of marrow..
> With such heavy legs it would be extremely difficult for an Ostrich to ever
> take flight, but instead they have bones that can withstand pressure from
> walking and standing. We see solid bones in other flightless birds like the
> Emu and even some penguins."

Should be obvious, yet some claim not so. Compare ostrich to hummingbird leg bone density. Which one sleeps in water? Neither.

Re: Ostrich bone density

<t5fdsv$jjl$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13626&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13626

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 22:26:08 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Wed, 11 May 2022 04:26 UTC

littor...@gmail.com wrote:
>> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4807808/
>> "The ostrich Struthio camelus reaches the highest speeds of any extant biped,
>> and has been an extraordinary subject for studies of soft-tissue anatomy and
>> dynamics of locomotion."
>> "High safety factors suggest that bone densities and anatomy of the ostrich
>> tarsometatarsus confer strength for selectively critical activities, such
>> as fleeing and kicking predators. "
>> https://www.calacademy.org/blogs/project-lab/ostrich-leg-bones
>> "Most birds have bones that have been adapted to their lifestyle in the air.
>> Their structure is hollow with an internal pattern of supportive struts
>> making
>> their skeleton much lighter than animals of similar size. If you cut a
>> slice out
>> of a bird’s bone it would looks a bit like a sponge. Since Ostriches do not fly,
>> many of their bones are like our own-solid bone encasing a tube of marrow.
>> With such heavy legs it would be extremely difficult for an Ostrich to ever
>> take flight, but instead they have bones that can withstand pressure from
>> walking and standing. We see solid bones in other flightless birds like the
>> Emu and even some penguins."
>
> Very interesting, but irrelevant as to why H.erectus & partially neandertals still were pachy-osteo-sclerotic, as some idiots who confuse POS with normal bones of most mammals want us to believe.
> POS or pachyosteosclerosis (extremely thick & heavy skeletons, possibly more brittle due to an excess of calcium) in tetrapods is exclusively seen in slow & shallow divers, incl. all aquatic mammals initially:
> all early Cetacea & pinnipeds had POS, and Sirenia still have POS.
> Google "coastal dispersal Pleistocene Homo PPT" (+ refs).

Ostriches are bipedal runners.

Re: Ostrich bone density

<b2f6728b-cc0e-4f8a-8480-df8488ebbc1en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13646&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13646

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 09:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Fri, 13 May 2022 16:23 UTC

Somebody:

> Ostriches are bipedal runners.

Yes, my boy, ostriches are bipedal runners...
:-DDD
Ostriches don't have POS.
POS or pachyosteosclerosis (extremely thick & heavy skeletons, possibly more brittle due to an excess of calcium) in tetrapods is exclusively seen in slow & shallow divers, incl. all aquatic mammals initially:
all early Cetacea & pinnipeds had POS, and Sirenia still have POS.
Google "coastal dispersal Pleistocene Homo PPT" (+ refs).

Re: Ostrich bone density

<d249f465-6823-4e2b-80b3-f59418bc0c12n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13653&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13653

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 14:55:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Fri, 13 May 2022 21:55 UTC

On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 12:23:26 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Somebody:
>
> > Ostriches are bipedal runners.
>
> Yes, my boy, ostriches are bipedal runners...
> :-DDD
> Ostriches don't have POS.
> POS or pachyosteosclerosis (extremely thick & heavy skeletons, possibly more brittle due to an excess of calcium) in tetrapods is exclusively seen in slow & shallow divers, incl. all aquatic mammals initially:
> all early Cetacea & pinnipeds had POS, and Sirenia still have POS.
> Google "coastal dispersal Pleistocene Homo PPT" (+ refs).
Hummingbirds do?