Vulcans do not approve of violence. -- Spock, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4

tech / sci.electronics.design / a question of power

SubjectAuthor
* a question of powerJohn Larkin
+* Re: a question of powerJohn Larkin
|`- Re: a question of powerehsjr
+- Re: a question of powerJohn Robertson
`* Re: a question of powerBill Sloman
 `* Re: a question of powerCursitor Doom
  `- Re: a question of powerBill Sloman

1
a question of power

<flq6uil6ltmfhg90s1vfee0p46e10b64ct@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135172&group=sci.electronics.design#135172

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: a question of power
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 10:12:52 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 18:12 UTC

This is a cool book: it's all about electricity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1610397495

The author is obviously a journalist (only journalists call machinery
"contraptions" or electricity "juice") but at least he gets the units
right.

Sounds like we'll be burning a lot of coal for a long time in the
future.

Re: a question of power

<0hr6uilklm0bdj793gribjh2ddrjcufqru@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135173&group=sci.electronics.design#135173

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: a question of power
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 11:00:42 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 19:00 UTC

On Sat, 02 Mar 2024 10:12:52 -0800, John Larkin <jl@997PotHill.com>
wrote:

>This is a cool book: it's all about electricity.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1610397495
>
>The author is obviously a journalist (only journalists call machinery
>"contraptions" or electricity "juice") but at least he gets the units
>right.
>
>Sounds like we'll be burning a lot of coal for a long time in the
>future.

This is sorta beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9VJqT5Wd40

and some details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxNM4DGBRMU

Re: a question of power

<us00n1$221io$1@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135174&group=sci.electronics.design#135174

From: ehs...@verizon.net (ehsjr)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:03:44 -0500
 by: ehsjr - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 20:03 UTC

On 3/2/2024 2:00 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Mar 2024 10:12:52 -0800, John Larkin <jl@997PotHill.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This is a cool book: it's all about electricity.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1610397495
>>
>> The author is obviously a journalist (only journalists call machinery
>> "contraptions" or electricity "juice") but at least he gets the units
>> right.
>>
>> Sounds like we'll be burning a lot of coal for a long time in the
>> future.
>>

> This is sorta beautiful:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9VJqT5Wd40
>
> and some details
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxNM4DGBRMU

Thanks! Really interesting to me.
Ed

Re: a question of power

<us02bn$22auh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135175&group=sci.electronics.design#135175

From: jrr...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 12:31:51 -0800
 by: John Robertson - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 20:31 UTC

On 2024/03/02 10:12 a.m., John Larkin wrote:
> This is a cool book: it's all about electricity.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1610397495
>
> The author is obviously a journalist (only journalists call machinery
> "contraptions" or electricity "juice") but at least he gets the units
> right.
>
> Sounds like we'll be burning a lot of coal for a long time in the
> future.

Speaking about electricity - check out Kathy Loves Physics on YouTube -
she has a lot of fun on the topic of Electricity...

https://www.youtube.com/@Weirdly_wonderful

John :-#)#
John's Jukes Ltd.
#7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Re: a question of power

<us0pb1$2a2n0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135176&group=sci.electronics.design#135176

From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 14:04:01 +1100
 by: Bill Sloman - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 03:04 UTC

On 3/03/2024 5:12 am, John Larkin wrote:
> This is a cool book: it's all about electricity.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1610397495
>
> The author is obviously a journalist (only journalists call machinery
> "contraptions" or electricity "juice") but at least he gets the units
> right.
>
> Sounds like we'll be burning a lot of coal for a long time in the
> future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bryce_(writer)

Robert Bryce was a senior fellow at the Manhattan Research institute
from 2012 to 2019. He stopped being a journalist quite a while ago.

"The Manhattan Institute is a policy think tank that has received
significant funding from both ExxonMobil and Koch Industries. According
to media transparency, the Manhattan Institute has been known to
“obscure” science supporting man-made climate change.

Bryce has been unwilling to answer questions about the funding the
Manhattan Institute receives from the fossil fuel industry."

So John Larkin is - as usual - peddling climate change denial
propaganda. He is a gullible sucker for that kind of nonsense.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: a question of power

<05e9uitml3cg5nkrj9jdvqr77b83hdkl1s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135186&group=sci.electronics.design#135186

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 17:52:18 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 17:52 UTC

On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 14:04:01 +1100, Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
wrote:

>On 3/03/2024 5:12 am, John Larkin wrote:
>> This is a cool book: it's all about electricity.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1610397495
>>
>> The author is obviously a journalist (only journalists call machinery
>> "contraptions" or electricity "juice") but at least he gets the units
>> right.
>>
>> Sounds like we'll be burning a lot of coal for a long time in the
>> future.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bryce_(writer)
>
>Robert Bryce was a senior fellow at the Manhattan Research institute
>from 2012 to 2019. He stopped being a journalist quite a while ago.
>
>"The Manhattan Institute is a policy think tank that has received
>significant funding from both ExxonMobil and Koch Industries. According
>to media transparency, the Manhattan Institute has been known to
>“obscure” science supporting man-made climate change.
>
>Bryce has been unwilling to answer questions about the funding the
>Manhattan Institute receives from the fossil fuel industry."
>
>So John Larkin is - as usual - peddling climate change denial
>propaganda. He is a gullible sucker for that kind of nonsense.

My go-to source for dirt on organisations is Transparency
International, and they make no such accusation. You're wrong again,
Bill.

Re: a question of power

<us3jcb$2vip7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135203&group=sci.electronics.design#135203

From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:40:41 +1100
 by: Bill Sloman - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 04:40 UTC

On 4/03/2024 4:52 am, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 14:04:01 +1100, Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/03/2024 5:12 am, John Larkin wrote:
>>> This is a cool book: it's all about electricity.
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1610397495
>>>
>>> The author is obviously a journalist (only journalists call machinery
>>> "contraptions" or electricity "juice") but at least he gets the units
>>> right.
>>>
>>> Sounds like we'll be burning a lot of coal for a long time in the
>>> future.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bryce_(writer)
>>
>> Robert Bryce was a senior fellow at the Manhattan Research institute
>>from 2012 to 2019. He stopped being a journalist quite a while ago.
>>
>> "The Manhattan Institute is a policy think tank that has received
>> significant funding from both ExxonMobil and Koch Industries. According
>> to media transparency, the Manhattan Institute has been known to
>> “obscure” science supporting man-made climate change.
>>
>> Bryce has been unwilling to answer questions about the funding the
>> Manhattan Institute receives from the fossil fuel industry."
>>
>> So John Larkin is - as usual - peddling climate change denial
>> propaganda. He is a gullible sucker for that kind of nonsense.
>
> My go-to source for dirt on organisations is Transparency
> International, and they make no such accusation. You're wrong again.
> Bill.

Transparency International is all about financial corruption.

The Manhattan Institute is selling it's services in a perfectly open way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchants_of_Doubt

It's a perfectly honest merchant of doubt. The doubts it is selling are
lies, but neither you nor John Larkin are willing to recognise that.

There's a lively international trade in delusion and misinformation.
Truth in advertising is an ideal, but a more expensive ideal than
anybody seems able to afford.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney