All the really good ideas I ever had came to me while I was milking a cow. -- Grant Wood

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?

SubjectAuthor
* Humans really were smarter in the past?I Envy JTEM
`* Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?Mario Petrinovic
 `* Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?I Envy JTEM
  `* Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?Mario Petrinovic
   `* Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?I Envy JTEM
    `* Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?Mario Petrinovic
     +* Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?Mario Petrinovic
     |`* Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?I Envy JTEM
     | `- Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?Mario Petrinovic
     `* Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?I Envy JTEM
      `- Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?Mario Petrinovic

1
Humans really were smarter in the past?

<dd5320a9-01b5-4529-acaf-28181a856679n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13535&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13535

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 18:04:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Humans really were smarter in the past?
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 01:04 UTC

Just watched an interesting video taking about
lead pollution. Apparently humans have been
artificially elevating the amount of lead in the
environment since the neolithic, as copper
smelting was still technically "Stone Age"
technology...

So lead makes people dumber and more violent.

DISCLAIMER:

When they showed a graph of the lead humans
have been pumping into our environment is pretty
much matched the Gwobull Warbling "Hockey Stick."

You know, the "Hockey Stick" showing CO2 was
increasing so much...

At the same time, there is a very recent and very large
plunge in the lead pollution.

The United States started requiring Catalytic Converters
on cars starting, when? Like 1975? And you can't use
leaded fuel on cars with catalytic converters.

The EU still doesn't require catalytic converters, if you
were wondering...

Anyway, lead does negatively impact I.Q.s. And there's
quite a bit more of it in the environment thanks to human
efforts.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/682443470330298368

Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?

<t48d66$m6g$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13536&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13536

From: mario.pe...@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:14:47 +0200
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:14 UTC

On 26.4.2022. 3:04, I Envy JTEM wrote:

> Just watched an interesting video taking about
> lead pollution. Apparently humans have been
> artificially elevating the amount of lead in the
> environment since the neolithic, as copper
> smelting was still technically "Stone Age"
> technology...
>
> So lead makes people dumber and more violent.
>
> DISCLAIMER:
>
> When they showed a graph of the lead humans
> have been pumping into our environment is pretty
> much matched the Gwobull Warbling "Hockey Stick."
>
> You know, the "Hockey Stick" showing CO2 was
> increasing so much...
>
> At the same time, there is a very recent and very large
> plunge in the lead pollution.
>
> The United States started requiring Catalytic Converters
> on cars starting, when? Like 1975? And you can't use
> leaded fuel on cars with catalytic converters.
>
> The EU still doesn't require catalytic converters, if you
> were wondering...
>
> Anyway, lead does negatively impact I.Q.s. And there's
> quite a bit more of it in the environment thanks to human
> efforts.

As far as I know, EU has all those things:
https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/ENVISSUENo12/page032.html

--
https://groups.google.com/g/human-evolution
human-evolution@googlegroups.com

Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?

<65c06e2e-76d1-48a1-9327-fcf8468e81cfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13537&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13537

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 05:40:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:40 UTC

Mario Petrinovic wrote:

> As far as I know, EU has all those things:
> https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/ENVISSUENo12/page032.html

I said the catalytic converter‘s have been mandatory in the United States
Since the 1970s, and that they’re not required by the EU even today..

Your cite says less than half the car in the EU have catalytic converters.

There is no obvious contradiction.

Well. It does claim they have been required since 1993 - 29 years ago! -
But we both know that more than half of European cars are NOT
30 years old or older, so “required” clearly means something other
Than required.

Remember when Volkswagen baked their emissions? It wasn’t
Just Volkswagen, and it was American testing that revealed
What the EU was doing.

Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?

<t48ssa$230$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13538&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13538

From: mario.pe...@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:42:34 +0200
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:42 UTC

On 26.4.2022. 14:40, I Envy JTEM wrote:
> Mario Petrinovic wrote:
>
>> As far as I know, EU has all those things:
>> https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/ENVISSUENo12/page032.html
>
> I said the catalytic converter‘s have been mandatory in the United States
> Since the 1970s, and that they’re not required by the EU even today.
>
> Your cite says less than half the car in the EU have catalytic converters.
>
> There is no obvious contradiction.
>
> Well. It does claim they have been required since 1993 - 29 years ago! -
> But we both know that more than half of European cars are NOT
> 30 years old or older, so “required” clearly means something other
> Than required.
>
> Remember when Volkswagen baked their emissions? It wasn’t
> Just Volkswagen, and it was American testing that revealed
> What the EU was doing.

I don't deny that USA is the best. I just know that we have technical
test every year, for every car, and that emissions are measured on that
test, and that you have to pass that test. I don't have a car, but I
know that scooters have catalizators, and cars too. Now, how exactly all
this works, I have no idea. People buy car, those cars need to pass the
test, and that's it. From your writing it sounds like we are in Stone
Ages, no, we aren't, here it is something similar to USA.

--
https://groups.google.com/g/human-evolution
human-evolution@googlegroups.com

Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?

<27ccc2c0-ea07-43a1-82a1-617360c2383fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13539&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13539

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:06:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 20:06 UTC

Mario Petrinovic wrote:

> I don't deny that USA is the best. I just know that we have technical
> test every year, for every car, and that emissions are measured on that
> test, and that you have to pass that test.

It's a balancing act: Energy conservation vs health (environmental)
concerns.

Europe has always been better at conservation, but they've often done
it at a great cost to the environment/public health. The United States
has never been warm to conservation, but has been the world leader
in mandatory emissions controls, starting in the 1960s.

Diesels have sold well in Europe, still do, because they tend to be
much more fuel efficient. But they also pollute a lot more.

> Now, how exactly all
> this works, I have no idea. People buy car, those cars need to pass the
> test, and that's it. From your writing it sounds like we are in Stone
> Ages, no, we aren't, here it is something similar to USA.

The EU is where the U.S. was at in the 1980s, emissions wise.

There's definitely competing sets of priorities, where Priority-1 for Europe
is conservation and Priority-1 in the United States has been emissions, at
least since the 1960s.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/682567195874787328

Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?

<t49vvt$s60$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13540&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13540

From: mario.pe...@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 01:41:50 +0200
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 23:41 UTC

On 26.4.2022. 22:06, I Envy JTEM wrote:
> Mario Petrinovic wrote:
>
>> I don't deny that USA is the best. I just know that we have technical
>> test every year, for every car, and that emissions are measured on that
>> test, and that you have to pass that test.
>
> It's a balancing act: Energy conservation vs health (environmental)
> concerns.
>
> Europe has always been better at conservation, but they've often done
> it at a great cost to the environment/public health. The United States
> has never been warm to conservation, but has been the world leader
> in mandatory emissions controls, starting in the 1960s.
>
> Diesels have sold well in Europe, still do, because they tend to be
> much more fuel efficient. But they also pollute a lot more.
>
>> Now, how exactly all
>> this works, I have no idea. People buy car, those cars need to pass the
>> test, and that's it. From your writing it sounds like we are in Stone
>> Ages, no, we aren't, here it is something similar to USA.
>
> The EU is where the U.S. was at in the 1980s, emissions wise.
>
> There's definitely competing sets of priorities, where Priority-1 for Europe
> is conservation and Priority-1 in the United States has been emissions, at
> least since the 1960s.

Well, I am really not at the level to discuss this, but, diesel cars
today are banned from city centers, in a lot of towns in Europe, I believe.
The other thing is that you must include in your calculations that USA
shifts all their goods on diesel trucks, while Europe is doing it by the
way of electrified railroad.

--
https://groups.google.com/g/human-evolution
human-evolution@googlegroups.com

Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?

<t4bevp$uch$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13544&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13544

From: mario.pe...@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:03:53 +0200
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:03 UTC

On 27.4.2022. 1:41, Mario Petrinovic wrote:
> On 26.4.2022. 22:06, I Envy JTEM wrote:
>> Mario Petrinovic wrote:
>>
>>> I don't deny that USA is the best. I just know that we have technical
>>> test every year, for every car, and that emissions are measured on that
>>> test, and that you have to pass that test.
>>
>> It's a balancing act:  Energy conservation vs health (environmental)
>> concerns.
>>
>> Europe has always been better at conservation, but they've often done
>> it at a great cost to the environment/public health. The United States
>> has never been warm to conservation, but has been the world leader
>> in mandatory emissions controls, starting in the 1960s.
>>
>> Diesels have sold well in Europe, still do, because they tend to be
>> much more fuel efficient. But they also pollute a lot more.
>>
>>> Now, how exactly all
>>> this works, I have no idea. People buy car, those cars need to pass the
>>> test, and that's it. From your writing it sounds like we are in Stone
>>> Ages, no, we aren't, here it is something similar to USA.
>>
>> The EU is where the U.S. was at in the 1980s, emissions wise.
>>
>> There's definitely competing sets of priorities, where Priority-1 for
>> Europe
>> is conservation and Priority-1 in the United States has been
>> emissions, at
>> least since the 1960s.
>
>         Well, I am really not at the level to discuss this, but, diesel
> cars today are banned from city centers, in a lot of towns in Europe, I
> believe.
>         The other thing is that you must include in your calculations
> that USA shifts all their goods on diesel trucks, while Europe is doing
> it by the way of electrified railroad.

Oh, not to mention public transport, which is almost non-existent in
the USA.
Here you need car for two things, if your kids are ill, to transfer
them quickly to hospital, or to go to vacation. Everything else is
faster done with public transport. In USA you need car for absolutely
everything, and you drive long distances.

--
https://groups.google.com/g/human-evolution
human-evolution@googlegroups.com

Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?

<45881e3d-7f17-43c6-9a59-6f12dd1843d0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13545&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13545

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:22:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:22 UTC

Mario Petrinovic wrote:

> Well, I am really not at the level to discuss this, but, diesel cars
> today are banned from city centers, in a lot of towns in Europe, I believe.
> The other thing is that you must include in your calculations that USA
> shifts all their goods on diesel trucks, while Europe is doing it by the
> way of electrified railroad.

Diesels can't meet emissions in most states. You can buy a diesel truck
but not a car.

Electricity isn't free. You make it with fuel, and coal is a popular fuel for
that. The EU pretends it doesn't but they never hesitated to burn coal
whenever they needed it, usually in the winter.

In this country the 1% are ordering everyone to believe that natural gas
is the dirtiest fuel in existence... in order to increase exports to ungrateful
"Friends." Personally I think we should just turn it into a motor fuel then
export our coal...

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/682567195874787328

Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?

<9666a850-1c84-4a84-8ad6-88bdb7284802n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13546&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13546

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:30:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:30 UTC

Mario Petrinovic wrote:

> Oh, not to mention public transport, which is almost non-existent in
> the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_MBTA

Our electric buses started in 1936:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybuses_in_Greater_Boston

> Here you need car for two things, if your kids are ill, to transfer
> them quickly to hospital, or to go to vacation. Everything else is
> faster done with public transport. In USA you need car for absolutely
> everything, and you drive long distances.

Public transportation is unreliable here. They try real hard to FORCE
people to use it, but they don't try very hard to make it something anyone
in their right mind would ever want to use...

Like in recent years they've narrowed roads, inventing traffic gridlock, and
created "Bus Only" lanes. The idea is that buses can glide on down the
street while the cars are stuck in traffic. And that sounds great only the
government is at war with the unions that the drivers belong to, the
equipment is purchased by corrupt politicians and not public transport
experts, they can't keep anything running much less running on schedule
AND they raise prices at the drop of a hat.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/682567195874787328

Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?

<t4born$5th$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13547&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13547

From: mario.pe...@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:52:23 +0200
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:52 UTC

On 27.4.2022. 17:22, I Envy JTEM wrote:
> Mario Petrinovic wrote:
>
>> Well, I am really not at the level to discuss this, but, diesel cars
>> today are banned from city centers, in a lot of towns in Europe, I believe.
>> The other thing is that you must include in your calculations that USA
>> shifts all their goods on diesel trucks, while Europe is doing it by the
>> way of electrified railroad.
>
> Diesels can't meet emissions in most states. You can buy a diesel truck
> but not a car.
>
> Electricity isn't free. You make it with fuel, and coal is a popular fuel for
> that. The EU pretends it doesn't but they never hesitated to burn coal
> whenever they needed it, usually in the winter.
>
> In this country the 1% are ordering everyone to believe that natural gas
> is the dirtiest fuel in existence... in order to increase exports to ungrateful
> "Friends." Personally I think we should just turn it into a motor fuel then
> export our coal...

I got the impression that SUVs count as trucks, and that everybody is
driving SUVs there, :) .

--
https://groups.google.com/g/human-evolution
human-evolution@googlegroups.com

Re: Humans really were smarter in the past?

<t4bp59$6ae$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=13548&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#13548

From: mario.pe...@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:57:29 +0200
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:57 UTC

On 27.4.2022. 17:30, I Envy JTEM wrote:
> Mario Petrinovic wrote:
>
>> Oh, not to mention public transport, which is almost non-existent in
>> the USA.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_MBTA
>
> Our electric buses started in 1936:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybuses_in_Greater_Boston
>
>> Here you need car for two things, if your kids are ill, to transfer
>> them quickly to hospital, or to go to vacation. Everything else is
>> faster done with public transport. In USA you need car for absolutely
>> everything, and you drive long distances.
>
> Public transportation is unreliable here. They try real hard to FORCE
> people to use it, but they don't try very hard to make it something anyone
> in their right mind would ever want to use...
>
> Like in recent years they've narrowed roads, inventing traffic gridlock, and
> created "Bus Only" lanes. The idea is that buses can glide on down the
> street while the cars are stuck in traffic. And that sounds great only the
> government is at war with the unions that the drivers belong to, the
> equipment is purchased by corrupt politicians and not public transport
> experts, they can't keep anything running much less running on schedule
> AND they raise prices at the drop of a hat.

Public transport doesn't have much sense in the USA. Once you could
drive from Boston down to Washington DC by the way of electric streetcar
(tramway). Of course, not on one line, but changing lines. But then you
oriented towards cars, and now everything is adjusted to it. Your towns
are too wide, your markets are too far apart, good for cars, but not for
public transport.