Marriage is the only adventure open to the cowardly. -- Voltaire

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls

SubjectAuthor
* European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controlsJan Panteltje
+* Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controlsGerhard Hoffmann
|+- Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controlsJan Panteltje
|+- Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controlsJeroen Belleman
|`- Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controlsJoe Gwinn
`* Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controlsSylvia Else
 `- Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controlsJoe Gwinn

1
European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls

<us6a50$uuap$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135225&group=sci.electronics.design#135225

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 05:21:36 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 05:21 UTC

European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/
In 2026, Euro NCAP points will be deducted if some controls aren't physical.

I think this is a very good idea

Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls

<usgdg4$1372n$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135384&group=sci.electronics.design#135384

From: dk4...@arcor.de (Gerhard Hoffmann)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical
controls
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 02:20:04 +0100
 by: Gerhard Hoffmann - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 01:20 UTC

Am 05.03.24 um 06:21 schrieb Jan Panteltje:
> European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls
> https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/
> In 2026, Euro NCAP points will be deducted if some controls aren't physical.
>
> I think this is a very good idea

Loosely related:

On Intel's new facility in Magdeburg, .de, archeologists have
found a 5000 years old ox carriage, including 2 oxes and
the driver (estim. 40 years old).

Physical controls were not much of a help, probably. No traces of
alcohol in the driver, also.

<
https://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/sachsen-anhalt/magdeburg/magdeburg/archaeologen-ausgrabungen-intel-entdeckung-100.html

sorry, in German.

regards, Gerhard

Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls

<usguis$14oht$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135398&group=sci.electronics.design#135398

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
controls
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 06:11:39 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 06:11 UTC

On a sunny day (Sat, 9 Mar 2024 02:20:04 +0100) it happened Gerhard Hoffmann
<dk4xp@arcor.de> wrote in <usgdg4$1372n$1@solani.org>:

>Am 05.03.24 um 06:21 schrieb Jan Panteltje:
>> European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls
>> https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/
>> In 2026, Euro NCAP points will be deducted if some controls aren't physical.
>>
>> I think this is a very good idea
>
>Loosely related:
>
>On Intel's new facility in Magdeburg, .de, archeologists have
>found a 5000 years old ox carriage, including 2 oxes and
>the driver (estim. 40 years old).
>
>Physical controls were not much of a help, probably. No traces of
>alcohol in the driver, also.
>
><
>https://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/sachsen-anhalt/magdeburg/magdeburg/archaeologen-ausgrabungen-intel-entdeckung-100.html
> >

>sorry, in German.
>
>regards, Gerhard

Yea, comments are fun, 'Navi des Ochenkutchers...'

Wonder how much of the current world knowledge will be kept after (if) humanity recovers from the next ice-age.
How to read a DVD, or will all books be coded in a DNA string and how to read that, nano nano memory chips...,

Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls

<ushg6r$29h4d$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135401&group=sci.electronics.design#135401

From: jer...@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
controls
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 12:13:48 +0100
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:13 UTC

On 3/9/24 02:20, Gerhard Hoffmann wrote:
> Am 05.03.24 um 06:21 schrieb Jan Panteltje:
>> European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls
>>
>> https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/
>> In 2026, Euro NCAP points will be deducted if some controls aren't
>> physical.
>>
>> I think this is a very good idea
>
> Loosely related:
>
> On Intel's new facility in Magdeburg, .de, archeologists have
> found a 5000 years old ox carriage, including 2 oxes and
> the driver (estim. 40 years old).
>
> Physical controls were not much of a help, probably. No traces of
> alcohol in the driver, also.
>
> <
> https://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/sachsen-anhalt/magdeburg/magdeburg/archaeologen-ausgrabungen-intel-entdeckung-100.html    >

Not a crash victim, by the looks of it. It's more like an
elaborate ceremonial burial.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls

<5u9puihb6u95kt2gck0o2n5uqt7sp3djlo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135406&group=sci.electronics.design#135406

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 13:19:02 -0500
 by: Joe Gwinn - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:19 UTC

On Sat, 9 Mar 2024 02:20:04 +0100, Gerhard Hoffmann <dk4xp@arcor.de>
wrote:

>Am 05.03.24 um 06:21 schrieb Jan Panteltje:
>> European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls
>> https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/
>> In 2026, Euro NCAP points will be deducted if some controls aren't physical.
>>
>> I think this is a very good idea
>
>Loosely related:
>
>On Intel's new facility in Magdeburg, .de, archeologists have
>found a 5000 years old ox carriage, including 2 oxes and
>the driver (estim. 40 years old).
>
>Physical controls were not much of a help, probably. No traces of
>alcohol in the driver, also.
>
><
>https://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/sachsen-anhalt/magdeburg/magdeburg/archaeologen-ausgrabungen-intel-entdeckung-100.html
> >

>sorry, in German.

No problem. Use Chrome to read it, and Google will translate it well
enough.

Joe Gwinn

Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls

<l54mleF90jqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135415&group=sci.electronics.design#135415

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
controls
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 14:10:38 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 03:10 UTC

On 05-Mar-24 4:21 pm, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls
> https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/
> In 2026, Euro NCAP points will be deducted if some controls aren't physical.
>
> I think this is a very good idea

Though they seem to be talking about driving controls, rather than
controls that a driver might be expected to use while driving, such as
the air-conditioning and radio volume controls.

I'm not aware of a vehicle that has moved any of the driving controls to
a touch screen, so perhaps they're just hoping to preempt that.

Sylvia.

Re: European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls

<m99suil3at92mk76e7ur3qljpvgc2va7vb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135439&group=sci.electronics.design#135439

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:36:31 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 21:36 UTC

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 14:10:38 +1100, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
wrote:

>On 05-Mar-24 4:21 pm, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> European crash tester says carmakers must bring back physical controls
>> https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/
>> In 2026, Euro NCAP points will be deducted if some controls aren't physical.
>>
>> I think this is a very good idea
>
>Though they seem to be talking about driving controls, rather than
>controls that a driver might be expected to use while driving, such as
>the air-conditioning and radio volume controls.
>
>I'm not aware of a vehicle that has moved any of the driving controls to
>a touch screen, so perhaps they're just hoping to preempt that.

In the US at least, there is a legal definition of an automobile in
each state, and these definitions typically require various things to
be physically present. Nobody has tried or talked of eliminating the
steering wheel, except in truly autonomous vehicles.

There was a funny case from the 1970s, where some California hippies
in a VW Bus without a motor or licence plates were traveling on the
highway by getting out and pushing the bus to the top of the next
hill, getting in and coasting down and then up till it stopped. Rinse
and repeat.

The police tried to stop this, but were foiled because the legal
definition required that it have a motor, which it didn't. So it
didn't need to be licensed, etc. California changed the law to stop
the fun.

But cars that don't have a steering wheel, instead having a side-stick
(like a fighter aircraft) are legal.

Joe Gwinn