From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Insidious creep
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:13:15 -0700
 by: Don Y - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 05:13 UTC

Wow, it sure looks like EVERYONE wants a chance to sit
inside your firewall!

Rescued another UPS, today. It pitches a remote service
that they want you to sign up for -- free updates,
remote power monitoring, etc.

Of course, to do so, you've got to let it talk to the
outside world.

And, now you've got a pwnplug that can be controlled from
that outside world!

Of course, any previous UPS with a NIC could snoop your
internal traffic. But, an SysAdm worth his salt would
block said device(s) from outgoing traffic.

OTOH, if the vendor cons^Hvinces you to willingly open
that door...

It's sure gonna be fun when some actor decides to really
take down our infrastructure -- by pwning those vendors
and all of the kit that they control! <frown>