From: jl...@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: grrrrrr
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:35:54 -0700
 by: john larkin - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 22:35 UTC

Why do people have online data sheet files called media.pdf or
mfr.pdf ?

Why does TI have app notes and eval board manuals like sluubo1.pdf?

Why do I have to fill out a form to see a data sheet or an online
magazine? It's easier to not.

Why are a lot of Digikey's datasheet links broken or useless?

Why do some data sheets not even name the manufacturer?

"The easiest thing in the world is not to sell'"
- Melvin Goldstein

Re: grrrrrr

<5io5vi93r96fk7qf4tn7mhbvm5j3jdbvno@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135526&group=sci.electronics.design#135526

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: grrrrrr
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 07:54:19 -0400
 by: legg - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:54 UTC

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:35:54 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

>Why do people have online data sheet files called media.pdf or
>mfr.pdf ?
>
>Why does TI have app notes and eval board manuals like sluubo1.pdf?
>
>Why do I have to fill out a form to see a data sheet or an online
>magazine? It's easier to not.
>
>Why are a lot of Digikey's datasheet links broken or useless?
>
>Why do some data sheets not even name the manufacturer?
>

>"The easiest thing in the world is not to sell'"
>- Melvin Goldstein

A lot of mfrs don't want anyone distributing their data sheets
for them, hence the links or altered forms. Copyright or rev/doc
control issues?

Docs for north american market aren't a priority, when 80% of
product is designed, made (and repaired?)off-shore.

Publications? $ or lack of.

I've had EDN and EPD reps on the phone three times in seven
days, verifying mailing address, though they haven't delivered
a hard copy to any of my addresses in the last 30yrs.
Everyone else and their dog got one. Boohoohoo.

You figure they'd be able to recognize a return from direct
email solicitation and just cough up the article. Could be
the browser, but hey . . . .

Bodo Power keeps re-publishing stuff with illegible illustrations.
You have to ask for a 'good' one.

RL

Re: grrrrrr

<3246vittognt7olmn3skt2c1opsrrvj8vs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135530&group=sci.electronics.design#135530

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.goja.nl.eu.org!3.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!193.141.40.65.MISMATCH!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-1.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.supernews.com!news.supernews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 08:07:46 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 15:07 UTC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 07:54:19 -0400, legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:35:54 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
>
>>Why do people have online data sheet files called media.pdf or
>>mfr.pdf ?
>>
>>Why does TI have app notes and eval board manuals like sluubo1.pdf?
>>
>>Why do I have to fill out a form to see a data sheet or an online
>>magazine? It's easier to not.
>>
>>Why are a lot of Digikey's datasheet links broken or useless?
>>
>>Why do some data sheets not even name the manufacturer?
>>

>>"The easiest thing in the world is not to sell'"
>>- Melvin Goldstein
>>

>A lot of mfrs don't want anyone distributing their data sheets
>for them, hence the links or altered forms. Copyright or rev/doc
>control issues?

Easy not to sell. Another grrrr is data sheets with no rev or date ID.

>Docs for north american market aren't a priority, when 80% of
>product is designed, made (and repaired?)off-shore.

English is pretty much universal for data sheets and appnotes.

>Publications? $ or lack of.
>
>I've had EDN and EPD reps on the phone three times in seven
>days, verifying mailing address, though they haven't delivered
>a hard copy to any of my addresses in the last 30yrs.
>Everyone else and their dog got one. Boohoohoo.

I haven't ever had a rep call to verify email. Nobody calls about
parts, either.

>You figure they'd be able to recognize a return from direct
>email solicitation and just cough up the article. Could be
>the browser, but hey . . . .
>
>Bodo Power keeps re-publishing stuff with illegible illustrations.
>You have to ask for a 'good' one.
>
>RL

Data sheets used to have a regular format, bullet features and a
summary with block diagram first (what IS this thing, anyhow?) and
then abs max, then detailed specs, then appnotes, then mechanical
diagrams. Now the sequence tends to be random.

I hate when a datasheet covers a number of different part numbers but
doesn't exactly tell what the differences are, or how to order which.

I guess semi companies use interns to make data sheets.

Re: grrrrrr

<65f328ef$0$2130796$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135534&group=sci.electronics.design#135534

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:42:22 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 16:42 UTC

On 3/13/2024 6:35 PM, john larkin wrote:
> Why do people have online data sheet files called media.pdf or
> mfr.pdf ?
>
> Why does TI have app notes and eval board manuals like sluubo1.pdf?
>
> Why do I have to fill out a form to see a data sheet or an online
> magazine? It's easier to not.
>
> Why are a lot of Digikey's datasheet links broken or useless?
>
> Why do some data sheets not even name the manufacturer?
>

> "The easiest thing in the world is not to sell'"
> - Melvin Goldstein

Hey there's an idea for an AI/large language model amenable task, a data
sheet-renamer.

LLMs can be pretty good at generating summaries of text, seems like it
should be possible to train one on some app notes to generate summaries
pithy enough for a file name.

Re: grrrrrr

<65f33d89$0$2350520$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135537&group=sci.electronics.design#135537

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 14:10:16 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 18:10 UTC

On 3/14/2024 12:42 PM, bitrex wrote:
> On 3/13/2024 6:35 PM, john larkin wrote:
>> Why do people have online data sheet files called   media.pdf   or
>> mfr.pdf  ?
>>
>> Why does TI have app notes and eval board manuals like  sluubo1.pdf?
>>
>> Why do I have to fill out a form to see a data sheet or an online
>> magazine? It's easier to not.
>>
>> Why are a lot of Digikey's datasheet links broken or useless?
>>
>> Why do some data sheets not even name the manufacturer?
>>

>> "The easiest thing in the world is not to sell'"
>> - Melvin Goldstein
>>

> Hey there's an idea for an AI/large language model amenable task, a data
> sheet-renamer.
>
> LLMs can be pretty good at generating summaries of text, seems like it
> should be possible to train one on some app notes to generate summaries
> pithy enough for a file name.

Sometimes it might be able to just pull from document titles, but an
auto-categorizer could be a helpful feature, also

Re: grrrrrr

<65f34444$0$2350502$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135538&group=sci.electronics.design#135538

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 14:39:00 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 18:39 UTC

On 3/14/2024 11:07 AM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 07:54:19 -0400, legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:35:54 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Why do people have online data sheet files called media.pdf or
>>> mfr.pdf ?
>>>
>>> Why does TI have app notes and eval board manuals like sluubo1.pdf?
>>>
>>> Why do I have to fill out a form to see a data sheet or an online
>>> magazine? It's easier to not.
>>>
>>> Why are a lot of Digikey's datasheet links broken or useless?
>>>
>>> Why do some data sheets not even name the manufacturer?
>>>

>>> "The easiest thing in the world is not to sell'"
>>> - Melvin Goldstein
>>>

>> A lot of mfrs don't want anyone distributing their data sheets
>> for them, hence the links or altered forms. Copyright or rev/doc
>> control issues?
>
> Easy not to sell. Another grrrr is data sheets with no rev or date ID.

They also seem to like to host them on the slowest servers imaginable
and still use FTP like it's the 90s.

Re: grrrrrr

<usvifl$1q1v9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135540&group=sci.electronics.design#135540

From: mr.sp...@spockmall.net (jim whitby)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 19:17:09 -0000 (UTC)
\4oF-ng
Sylo&)70,bE_K]WwpPH'v/&uI6xq.c'l(DORW{gm,W:@N!?uVwKI?"'yY|>Jxa
2q(7fNM8Kd|2+2zF
m&GrR,3#7rFZ3,VhH{,=E`8N*t|raH,8{"h+g#hDE,>@PWE}xa4Mz
HEv&eOT#B]f,#\()-=w(x@xl@
s%wWrtkCSH]c&ev:?m-7)(g|s#\+#h
 by: jim whitby - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 19:17 UTC

> On 3/14/2024 11:07 AM, John Larkin wrote:

>>> A lot of mfrs don't want anyone distributing their data sheets for
>>> them, hence the links or altered forms. Copyright or rev/doc control
>>> issues?
>>
>> Easy not to sell. Another grrrr is data sheets with no rev or date ID.
>
> They also seem to like to host them on the slowest servers imaginable
> and still use FTP like it's the 90s.

gopher would work better.

--
Jim Whitby

Well, I'm a classic ANAL RETENTIVE!! And I'm looking for a way to
VICARIOUSLY experience some reason to LIVE!!
----------------------
Mageia release 9 (Official) for x86_64
6.6.18-server-1.mga9 unknown
----------------------

Re: grrrrrr

<usvujn$1slrq$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135543&group=sci.electronics.design#135543

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 15:43:59 -0700
 by: Don Y - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 22:43 UTC

On 3/14/2024 11:39 AM, bitrex wrote:
> They also seem to like to host them on the slowest servers imaginable and still
> use FTP like it's the 90s.

FTP would require each asset to have a unique file name.
AND, would let a client peruse the list of ALL available
assets -- scrape the server in one shot!

Many sites deliver a "document.pdf" after you have clicked
through a set of pages (including an acceptance of license).

For "true PDFs", a simpler strategy is to scrape the site
and store the entire set of documents indexed for FTS.

Re: grrrrrr

<m7i9vip4el0gj9bim9mgq72mg6rikkloi6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=135582&group=sci.electronics.design#135582

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!news.mixmin.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!193.141.40.65.MISMATCH!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-1.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.supernews.com!news.supernews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: boB...@K7IQ.com (boB)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:18:42 -0700
 by: boB - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 22:18 UTC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 07:54:19 -0400, legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:35:54 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
>
>>Why do people have online data sheet files called media.pdf or
>>mfr.pdf ?
>>
>>Why does TI have app notes and eval board manuals like sluubo1.pdf?
>>
>>Why do I have to fill out a form to see a data sheet or an online
>>magazine? It's easier to not.
>>
>>Why are a lot of Digikey's datasheet links broken or useless?
>>
>>Why do some data sheets not even name the manufacturer?
>>

>>"The easiest thing in the world is not to sell'"
>>- Melvin Goldstein
>>

>A lot of mfrs don't want anyone distributing their data sheets
>for them, hence the links or altered forms. Copyright or rev/doc
>control issues?
>
>Docs for north american market aren't a priority, when 80% of
>product is designed, made (and repaired?)off-shore.
>
>Publications? $ or lack of.
>
>I've had EDN and EPD reps on the phone three times in seven
>days, verifying mailing address, though they haven't delivered
>a hard copy to any of my addresses in the last 30yrs.
>Everyone else and their dog got one. Boohoohoo.
>
>You figure they'd be able to recognize a return from direct
>email solicitation and just cough up the article. Could be
>the browser, but hey . . . .
>
>Bodo Power keeps re-publishing stuff with illegible illustrations.
>You have to ask for a 'good' one.

I always notice that. I asked Bodo and they said just ask for the
legible drawing. Makes a larger file I'm sure

boB