From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Re: How to manually adjust "open with"?
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 18:21:17 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 18:21 UTC

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

> On 22/12/2022 12:31 pm, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> When I "open with" Paintshop Pro (an old program), the file is not
>> passed to the program. The program is opened, but the image does
>> not open along with it. A long time ago in a previous version of
>> Windows (I can't remember which one), you could edit the command
>> given, and I remember I had to add a %1 and I had to put long
>> filenames in quotes. Where do I access this in Windows 11 to
>> repair the problem?
>
> Which is "Default Apps"?
>
> Paul's suggesiton might be easier (removing, reboot then installing
> Paint Shop Pro again)!

Proclamation: Avoid that piece of crap named Paint Shop Pro (IMHO).

IMHO... Paint Shop Pro is one of the worst behaved Windows programs outside
of the big three (Adobe, Microsoft, Apple) in terms of how much crap Paint
Shop Pro does to screw up your carefully managed right-click "open with"
context menu options (IMHO) - which last for years - without PSP that is.

As one example, I had long ago removed all the extraneous stuff in my
right-click "New" entry, which only had three entries I ever needed:
New > {folder,shortcut,text document}
The ill-behaved almost malicious PSP added the following entry:
New > Paint Shop Pro 5 Image

Now think about this. When would I ever want to create a paint shop pro
image? Never right? Nobody would ever want to do that. Never.

Not in a million years would _anyone_ want that in their menus.
And yet, it's there.

Now I have to remember how it was that I edited those menus, but it's
easier to remember to just never install that irresponsible piece of kit.

Did I edit the registry directly to remove the extraneous menus when I was
first setting up Windows years ago, or did I use the classic Windows
"Default Programs Editor.exe", or did I use "EcMenu_x64.exe",
or did I use a "Major Geeks" tweak, or did I use a "SysInternals" tweak,
or did I use a "NirSoft" tweak such as "shellmenunew" or "shexview" or
"shmnview" or whatever.

I don't remember how I did all those edits and I shouldn't have to.

Why should I have to dig into how I did all that when I do it only once in
the lifetime of an operating system, which is during initial set up.

Why must Paint Shop Pro be so irresponsible as to make me have to do this?

Worse, PaintShop Pro irresponsibly screwed up my carefully crafted ability
to select a dozen image files to open outside the default Irfanview editor.

I used to be able to select a dozen (or more) image files (and yes, I
modified the registry to allow up to 100 files to open - but that's an
aside) and just open them with any non-default image editor I wanted to.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
MultipleInvokePromptMinimum === 64 (hex) [i.e., 100 decimal]

The instant I installed PaintShop Pro, it _destroyed_ that capability.

Even more destruction by PSP, was that I had carefully added a set of
additional custom menu entries whenever I right clicked on image files so
that I didn't even need the "Open with" selection.
a. Right click on any number of image files
b. For efficiency, at the top of the context menu result I had added these
Open with Paint.NET
Open with Inkscape
Open with Krita
etc.
c. The rudely irresponsible Paint Shop Pro _destroyed_ all of them!
Note I don't need to add "Open with Irfanview" because it's the default.

In summary, Paint Shop Pro is unlike any other typical image editor I've
ever installed in that it instantly *DESTROYS* your carefully crafted
context menu selections (in at least three or four ways, as described).

This happened a while ago and I just have to get the time and energy to
undo all the irresponsible crap that Paint Shop Pro added, which isn't hard
to do but it's a pain in the ass that only Paint Shop Pro seems to inflict.

The moral of the story is that Paint Shop Pro sucks (IMHO) when it comes to
messing with your carefully crafted Open With menu command structure.

The sadly ironic thing is that Paint Shop Pro isn't that good of an image
editor to even warrant all this effort to undo all the unruly rude changes
it makes to our carefully managed open with context menu selections.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to agree that Paint Shop Pro is a rude program.