What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind. -- Thomas Hewitt Key, 1799-1875

tech / sci.lang / Re: Why do theory of computation problems require pure functions? [ PSR error]

SubjectAuthor
o Re: Why do theory of computation problems require pure functions? [olcott

1
Re: Why do theory of computation problems require pure functions? [ PSR error]

<n5GdnTqFUbEg-tr8nZ2dnUU7-c3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=13596&group=sci.lang#13596

Subject: Re: Why do theory of computation problems require pure functions? [
PSR error]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.lang,sci.logic
<si531f$q3f$2@dont-email.me> <CtmdnXIC2u_Di9v8nZ2dnUU7-R3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<si55gs$aa2$1@dont-email.me> <L5-dnUtHucSVgNv8nZ2dnUU7-X_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<12r1J.107151$lC6.16042@fx41.iad>
<caKdncaNf93r3dv8nZ2dnUU7-UfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<axr1J.55095$jm6.40535@fx07.iad>
<4dqdnW74K8nv1Nv8nZ2dnUU7-d2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
<Sds1J.75975$z%4.33404@fx37.iad>
<0LKdnQW0_vXAz9v8nZ2dnUU7-RHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <si5o18$ca0$1@dont-email.me>
<b8qdnUQWUNeC-Nv8nZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <si5p69$qpa$1@dont-email.me>
<i6WdnR3uOcyR9Nv8nZ2dnUU7-TGdnZ2d@giganews.com> <si5qpm$srv$1@dont-email.me>
<XbOdnZbe3JqE8tv8nZ2dnUU7-emdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<4lu1J.13876$Im6.4952@fx09.iad>
<x8CdnXa9leSnMtv8nZ2dnUU7-RHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <si6d74$tv6$1@dont-email.me>
<si6dp3$7u1$1@dont-email.me> <kZadne336bvC19r8nZ2dnUU7-L_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<si7lli$n28$1@dont-email.me> <ZLidnRFCjJnaxtr8nZ2dnUU7-KXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<si7ng8$s7c$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 11:39:25 -0500
 by: olcott - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:39 UTC

On 9/19/2021 11:11 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-09-19 09:46, olcott wrote:

>>> Where did I define or even mention a 'decidability decider'? Above I
>>> discussed (but did not define) a DECIDER decider, i.e. a TM which
>>> determines whether another TM qualifies as a decider.

>>> So what exactly is it that the above is deciding? And how does this
>>> relate to Rice? If you want to claim this is somehow related to rice,
>>> you need to identify some semantic property that you claim to be able
>>> to decide.
>>>
>>> André
>>>

>> It is deciding that either H/P or H1/P form the pathological
>> self-reference error(Olcott 2004). As I said in 2004 this is the same
>> error as the Liar Paradox. This means that either H/P or H1/P are not
>> correctly decidable.
>
> The post in which I mentioned a 'decider decider' which you somehow
> misread as 'decidability decider' was intended to clarify a single
> sentence from an earlier post which you entirely ignored. Why don't you
> therein.
>
> Your ill-defined notion of a 'pathological self-reference error' doesn't
> appear to be a property of a Turing Machine, which is what Rice's
> theorem is concerned with. To the extent that it is a property at all,
> it appears to be a property of specific computations, so this has
> absolutely no relevance to Rice.
>
> André

It is the property of H(P,P).

u32 PSR_Olcott_2004(u32 P)
{ return H1(P,P) != H(P,P);
}

Decides that H(P,P) cannot correctly decide the halt status of its
input, thus a semantic property of H relative to P.

The Liar Paradox works this same way.
"This sentence is not true."
When it refers to itself it has the pathological self-reference
error(Olcott 2004).

This is the same as H(P,P) where the input to H refers to H.

When we transform the Liar Paradox so that it does not refer to itself

This sentence is not true: "2 + 3 = 7" then the pathological
self-reference error(Olcott 2004) is eliminated.

The same thing occurs with H1(P,P).

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein