Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 11:49:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Michel Odent 2021 Planet Ocean
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Tue, 10 May 2022 18:49 UTC

Here are some examples of questions raised in “Planet Ocean: our mysterious connections to water” (Michel Odent. Clairview 2021)

-Why do human mammals need to learn techniques to be able to swim?

-Why do seals go to dry land to give birth, while a significant number of women use birthing pools?
-Why don’t fossil hunters trumpet the fact that, in prehistoric ages, sea levels could be 200 meters lower than today? If most human beings were living in coastal areas, it is likely that their fossils will remain lost for ever.

-Why don’t fossil hunters explain why they cannot find remains of chimpanzees?

-Why are our palaeolithic ancestors usually described as “hunter-gatherers”, when there is increased evidence that great parts of our planet, particularly the Mediterranean basin and the Pacific Rim, were first colonised by skilled navigators.

-Why are modern humans classified as “Sapiens”, even though they are admixtures of Sapiens, Neanderthal, Denisovan and probably still unidentified huge brained Homos?

-Why don't we try to understand what makes human births occasionally easy and fast?

-Why do the promoters of the so-called “Aquatic ape hypothesis” rarely take as a point of departure the main feature of human beings, the supersized brain?

-Why are our enzymes not effective at making the synthesis of a molecule that is essential to feed the brain?

The latest book by Michel Odent (“Planet Ocean: our mysterious connections to water”) is available in paperback and kindle.
Michel Odent, MD, has been in charge of the surgical unit & the maternity unit at the Pithiviers (France) state hospital (1962-1985). During many years he has been the only doctor in charge of about 1000 births a year. He is the author of the first article in the medical literature about the use of birthing pools (Lancet 1983), of the first article about the initiation of lactation during the hour following birth (1977), and of the first article applying the ‘Gate Control Theory of Pain’ to obstetrics (1975). He coined the term “hormone of love” when mentioning oxytocin. He created the Primal Health Research database (www.primalhealthresearch.com). He has been a member of the Professional Advisory Board of La Leche League International for about 40 years.
Michel Odent is Visiting Professor at the Odessa National Medical University & Doctor Honoris Causa of the University of Brasilia.