"Seed me, Seymour" -- a random number generator meets the big green mother from outer space

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: OT: central limit theorem

SubjectAuthor
* OT: central limit theorembitrex
+* Re: OT: central limit theoremDon Y
|`* Re: OT: central limit theorembitrex
| +- Re: OT: central limit theoremDon Y
| `* Re: OT: central limit theoremalbert
|  +- Re: OT: central limit theoremJohn Larkin
|  `- Re: OT: central limit theoremDon Y
+* Re: OT: central limit theoremJoe Gwinn
|+- Re: OT: central limit theorembitrex
|`* Re: OT: central limit theoremPhil Hobbs
| `- Re: OT: central limit theorembitrex
+* Re: OT: central limit theoremJohn Larkin
|+- Re: OT: central limit theorembitrex
|`- Re: OT: central limit theorembitrex
+- Re: OT: central limit theoremJan Panteltje
+- Re: OT: central limit theoremBill Sloman
`- Re: OT: central limit theoremMartin Brown

1
OT: central limit theorem

<662bf69c$0$8484$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136468&group=sci.electronics.design#136468

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:46:52 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Subject: OT: central limit theorem
 by: bitrex - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 18:46 UTC

I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
electronics books:

<https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>

I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.

A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33 lbs
+/- 2 lbs.

So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe 5-
10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<v0gu6u$3ruka$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136469&group=sci.electronics.design#136469

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: central limit theorem
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 12:10:09 -0700
 by: Don Y - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:10 UTC

On 4/26/2024 11:46 AM, bitrex wrote:
> I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
> electronics books:
>
> <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>
> I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The assembly
> manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed which seemed like
> an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on the shelves, which aren't
> particularly well organized other than to fully fill the available space
> widthwise on each shelf.
>
> A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and skinny, some
> are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33 lbs +/- 2 lbs.
>
> So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up then
> remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe 5- 10 lbs
> because it's unsupported by a backing.

Smarter move is to buy all of your texts in electronic form, before you
end up with a shitload of dead trees!

When I moved here (~30 yrs), I had some 80 "Xerox Paper" cartons full
of paperbacks -- not counting "text books". (I read ~500pp/wk) Take
a moment to think of that volume (let alone MASS!).

I eventually scanned everything with a Perfect Binding and now fit those
same books on a single microSD card (in a Nook; PDFs on a 12" tablet).

The "hard back" texts are a lot harder to "process" but are suffering the
same fate. I wouldn't wish the task of MOVING (or disposing!) the
dead tree collection on my worst enemy...

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<662bffdf$0$8488$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136470&group=sci.electronics.design#136470

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 15:26:23 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:26 UTC

On 4/26/2024 3:10 PM, Don Y wrote:
> On 4/26/2024 11:46 AM, bitrex wrote:
>> I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
>> electronics books:
>>
>> <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>>
>> I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
>> assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
>> which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
>> the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
>> fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.
>>
>> A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
>> skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33
>> lbs +/- 2 lbs.
>>
>> So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
>> then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe
>> 5- 10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.
>
> Smarter move is to buy all of your texts in electronic form, before you
> end up with a shitload of dead trees!
>
> When I moved here (~30 yrs), I had some 80 "Xerox Paper" cartons full
> of paperbacks -- not counting "text books".  (I read ~500pp/wk)  Take
> a moment to think of that volume (let alone MASS!).
>
> I eventually scanned everything with a Perfect Binding and now fit those
> same books on a single microSD card (in a Nook; PDFs on a 12" tablet).

PDFs are a dreadful format! Maybe there's a high-end e-ink that
processes them effectively but they look like shit on the cheaper ones
like most of the Kindles with e-ink displays.

I hate reading on an LCD I stare into an LCD half the live long day
anyway, blech.

> The "hard back" texts are a lot harder to "process" but are suffering the
> same fate.  I wouldn't wish the task of MOVING (or disposing!) the
> dead tree collection on my worst enemy...

Gotta enforce a one book in, one book out rule man. I've never lived on
my own in a residence spacious enough that I had the luxury of just
stockpiling tons of stuff in case it might come in handy someday. I
don't have an attic, garage, or basement!

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<i00o2jtj8peuu9su6s18fdcss1t24l38bd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136471&group=sci.electronics.design#136471

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 15:30:54 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:30 UTC

On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:46:52 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
>electronics books:
>
><https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>
>I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
>assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
>which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
>the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
>fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.
>
>A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
>skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33 lbs
>+/- 2 lbs.

Ikea shelves are made of veneered particle board, and can creep under
steady load. Is it possible to flip the shelf planks upside down, so
they start to creep back towards straight?

>So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
>then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe 5-
>10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.

If the shelf plank material is creeping, this won't work.

Joe Gwinn

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<960o2j9atnupo1orp1kk6lquchg4p3g5g7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136472&group=sci.electronics.design#136472

From: jjSNIPla...@highNONOlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 12:36:09 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:36 UTC

On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:46:52 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
>electronics books:
>
><https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>
>I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
>assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
>which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
>the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
>fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.
>
>A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
>skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33 lbs
>+/- 2 lbs.
>
>So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
>then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe 5-
>10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.

Composites, like the Ikea particle board, tend to sag. I got a nice
barbeque table where the propane tank can sit on the lower shelf, but
in a matter of days it took on a serous sag. It's some plastic
composite.

Like many things that one buys these days, the first thing is to
redesign it.

Add a center support of some kind.

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<662c0ab0$0$8086$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136473&group=sci.electronics.design#136473

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:12:32 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:12 UTC

On 4/26/2024 3:30 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:46:52 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
>> electronics books:
>>
>> <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>>
>> I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
>> assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
>> which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
>> the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
>> fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.
>>
>> A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
>> skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33 lbs
>> +/- 2 lbs.
>
> Ikea shelves are made of veneered particle board, and can creep under
> steady load. Is it possible to flip the shelf planks upside down, so
> they start to creep back towards straight?

Yep! The shelves aren't symmetrical front to back, but they are
side-to-side.

>> So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
>> then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe 5-
>> 10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.
>
> If the shelf plank material is creeping, this won't work.
>
> Joe Gwinn

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<662c0b75$0$8087$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136474&group=sci.electronics.design#136474

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:15:48 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:15 UTC

On 4/26/2024 3:36 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:46:52 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
>> electronics books:
>>
>> <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>>
>> I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
>> assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
>> which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
>> the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
>> fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.
>>
>> A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
>> skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33 lbs
>> +/- 2 lbs.
>>
>> So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
>> then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe 5-
>> 10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.
>
> Composites, like the Ikea particle board, tend to sag. I got a nice
> barbeque table where the propane tank can sit on the lower shelf, but
> in a matter of days it took on a serous sag. It's some plastic
> composite.
>
> Like many things that one buys these days, the first thing is to
> redesign it.
>
> Add a center support of some kind.

Ikea has made a number of nightstands over the years that for whatever
reason seem to have openings very close to 19", add a couple Middle
Atlantic rack rails and you can house all sorts of gear in them:

<https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/16kdewm/ikea_nightstand_makes_a_great_rack/>

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<662c1067$0$8088$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136475&group=sci.electronics.design#136475

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:36:54 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:36 UTC

On 4/26/2024 3:36 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:46:52 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
>> electronics books:
>>
>> <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>>
>> I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
>> assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
>> which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
>> the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
>> fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.
>>
>> A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
>> skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33 lbs
>> +/- 2 lbs.
>>
>> So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
>> then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe 5-
>> 10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.
>
> Composites, like the Ikea particle board, tend to sag. I got a nice
> barbeque table where the propane tank can sit on the lower shelf, but
> in a matter of days it took on a serous sag. It's some plastic
> composite.
>
> Like many things that one buys these days, the first thing is to
> redesign it.
>
> Add a center support of some kind.

They definitely have the "manufacturing" down to a science, though. I've
assembled a number of their flat-packs over the years and I can't recall
one that was ever short a part, or conversely, contained a single spare
part.

Did Heathkit provide spares with their kits? Well, guess we know why
they're out of business..

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<v0h64j$3tl4g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136476&group=sci.electronics.design#136476

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:25:27 -0700
 by: Don Y - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 21:25 UTC

On 4/26/2024 12:26 PM, bitrex wrote:
> On 4/26/2024 3:10 PM, Don Y wrote:
>> On 4/26/2024 11:46 AM, bitrex wrote:
>>> I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
>>> electronics books:
>>>
>>> <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>>>
>>> I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
>>> assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed which
>>> seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on the shelves,
>>> which aren't particularly well organized other than to fully fill the
>>> available space widthwise on each shelf.
>>>
>>> A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and skinny,
>>> some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33 lbs +/- 2 lbs.
>>>
>>> So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up then
>>> remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe 5- 10 lbs
>>> because it's unsupported by a backing.
>>
>> Smarter move is to buy all of your texts in electronic form, before you
>> end up with a shitload of dead trees!
>>
>> When I moved here (~30 yrs), I had some 80 "Xerox Paper" cartons full
>> of paperbacks -- not counting "text books".  (I read ~500pp/wk)  Take
>> a moment to think of that volume (let alone MASS!).
>>
>> I eventually scanned everything with a Perfect Binding and now fit those
>> same books on a single microSD card (in a Nook; PDFs on a 12" tablet).
>
> PDFs are a dreadful format! Maybe there's a high-end e-ink that processes them
> effectively but they look like shit on the cheaper ones like most of the
> Kindles with e-ink displays.

PDFs make sense for content where presentation needs to be controlled.
E.g., technical papers, reference books, etc.

Other "reflowable" formats (epub, mobi, etc.) are better suited for
content whose presentation is unimportant -- novels.

Novels can, thus, be viewed on smaller screens as you can reflow
the content to fit the smaller screen regardless of typeface size, etc.

PDFs need larger presentations; you want to mimic the "sheet of paper"
on which it was "laid out". Hence the 12" tablet (14" would be better)

> I hate reading on an LCD I stare into an LCD half the live long day anyway, blech.

I used to hate the non-book feel of ebooks. But, now prefer the increased
(and adjustable!) contrast that an ereader offers. Along with the ability
to adjust the size of the type, create bookmarks, search for content, etc.
Thumbing through pages is *SO* 1960's...

>> The "hard back" texts are a lot harder to "process" but are suffering the
>> same fate.  I wouldn't wish the task of MOVING (or disposing!) the
>> dead tree collection on my worst enemy...
>
> Gotta enforce a one book in, one book out rule man.

And, how *many* books before that rule kicks in? Do you rely on your
memory to retain the information that was contained in those discarded
books? Or, do you reacquire them (and discard some OTHER content to
accommodate them)?

> I've never lived on my own
> in a residence spacious enough that I had the luxury of just stockpiling tons
> of stuff in case it might come in handy someday. I don't have an attic, garage,
> or basement!

You decide what is important to you. I can fit my "wardrobe" in a single
suitcase. And, as travel is somewhere down with "going to the dentist"
in terms of desirability, I only *own* one suitcase! No closet full of
"travel boxes" to store in case I might want to go somewhere (I've never
needed more than a large briefcase to hold my clothing AND "work"
while traveling)

My music is on microSD cards (save for a few dozen boots that I have yet to
transcode) in a few different "players". Likewise, my books. These are
*references*, you expect to "consult them" -- yet can't predict WHEN you
will want to do so. I listened to "Billy, the Mountain", yesterday.
Had I discarded it after hearing it ONCE, I would have had to reacquire
it each of the times that I've subsequently listened to it.

We (re)watch several movies, many times (RED, 9, Flushed Away, etc.).
Should I spend time trying to locate a new copy of each WHEN we want
to rewatch it (and pay for immediately delivery)?

Should I buy a new set of crow-foot wrenches each time I need one?
(Imagine how much longer it would take to make repairs!)

And, buy paper for the printer one *sheet* at a time?

"Stockpiling" is a physical cache of items that YOU decide are
worth having "on-hand" -- to save the time of re-acquiring them,
WHEN NEEDED.

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<c1a55bb4-8d0b-a713-85a4-1d61ff2c27e0@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136481&group=sci.electronics.design#136481

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:54:28 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 23:54 UTC

On 2024-04-26 15:30, Joe Gwinn wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:46:52 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
>> electronics books:
>>
>> <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>>
>> I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
>> assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
>> which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
>> the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
>> fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.
>>
>> A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
>> skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33 lbs
>> +/- 2 lbs.
>
> Ikea shelves are made of veneered particle board, and can creep under
> steady load. Is it possible to flip the shelf planks upside down, so
> they start to creep back towards straight?
>

>> So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
>> then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe 5-
>> 10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.
>
> If the shelf plank material is creeping, this won't work.
>
> Joe Gwinn

The OP might want to upgrade to Ivar shelves. I’ve got probably a dozen
sections, 7 feet tall, and Ikea still sells them, I think.

Inexpensive, solid wood, good looking, super strong, and last forever.

Otherwise they stink.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<v0i2sj$27e7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136487&group=sci.electronics.design#136487

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 05:36:19 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 05:36 UTC

On a sunny day (Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:46:52 -0400) it happened bitrex
<user@example.net> wrote in <662bf69c$0$8484$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>:

>I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
>electronics books:
>
><https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>
>I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
>assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
>which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
>the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
>fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.
>
>A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
>skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33 lbs
>+/- 2 lbs.
>
>So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
>then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe 5-
>10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.

Digitise as many books as you can, some books are already available for free as pdf on the internet.
That thing looks feeble.. buy a real bookshelf
All that said, the Ikea table I am working on now is from around 1986?
https://panteltje.nl/pub/table_IMG_6589.JPG

I use this Ikea chair for some electronics work and when playing the keyboard :-)
https://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/p/kullaberg-bureaustoel-grenen-zwart-10320341/
They do make nice stuff.

Have not many books left, but more than a thousand discs like CDs, DVDs, blurays.., lots of data on those.
https://panteltje.nl/pub/CD_box_binnenkant_IXIMG_0549.JPG

Some 4 TB harddisks, 'locate' in Linux will find anything in seconds, weight a few grams...
locate -i book | grep -i pdf
/mnt/sda2/pantel/root/download/html/gps_ca_generation_code_program_and_more_booktext05.pdf
/mnt/sda2/pantel/root/download/html/imbookfinalall.pdf
/mnt/sda2/pantel/root/download/html/mit_heat_transfer_textbook_ahttv131.pdf
/mnt/sda2/pantel/root/download/html/national_temp_sensor_handbook.pdf
/mnt/sda2/pantel/root/download/html/on_semi_pfc_handbook_HBD853-D.PDF
/mnt/sda2/pantel/root/download/html/pin_diode_handbook.pdf
/mnt/sda2/pantel/root/download/html/pin_diode_handbook.pdf.1
/mnt/sda2/pantel/root/download/html/pin_diode_handbook.pdf.2
/mnt/sda2/pantel/root/download/html/power_factor_correction_handbook_PFC_HBD853-D.PDF
/mnt/sda2/pantel/root/download/html/radiation/photo_detectors/PMTs/PMT_handbook_v3aE.pdf... 181 entries
Not everything is marked as 'book', but subject you will find !

Soon everything encoded in DNA, just injected... ?

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<v0i6m6$7i9l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136490&group=sci.electronics.design#136490

From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 16:40:54 +1000
 by: Bill Sloman - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 06:40 UTC

On 27/04/2024 4:46 am, bitrex wrote:
> I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
> electronics books:
>
> <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>
> I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
> assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
> which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
> the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
> fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.
>
> A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
> skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33 lbs
> +/- 2 lbs.
>
> So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
> then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe 5-
> 10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.

Or put on a backing sheet and knock some nails through the backing sheet
into the shelves. It isn't elegant. I've built bookcases where I've
rebated the frame so that the backing sheet didn't show when viewed from
the side, but my wife thought that this was more trouble than it was worth.

We owned a lot of books and the default bookshelf was mounted on
brackets screwed into plugs let into the wall. I'd had a masonry drill
even before we got married.

My great-grandfather would have been scandalised. I've now got the
glass-fronted bookcase he built to complete his joinery apprenticeship
some 150 years ago, and it is much more elegant piece of work.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<nnd$09c3fa57$3f7b285d@1c24b118c7da3bd9>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136491&group=sci.electronics.design#136491

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: alb...@spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:15:54 +0200
 by: alb...@spenarnc.xs4all.nl - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:15 UTC

In article <662bffdf$0$8488$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>,
bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>On 4/26/2024 3:10 PM, Don Y wrote:
>> On 4/26/2024 11:46 AM, bitrex wrote:
>>> I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
>>> electronics books:
>>>
>>> <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>>>
>>> I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
>>> assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
>>> which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
>>> the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
>>> fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.
>>>
>>> A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
>>> skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33
>>> lbs +/- 2 lbs.
>>>
>>> So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
>>> then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe
>>> 5- 10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.
>>
>> Smarter move is to buy all of your texts in electronic form, before you
>> end up with a shitload of dead trees!
>>
>> When I moved here (~30 yrs), I had some 80 "Xerox Paper" cartons full
>> of paperbacks -- not counting "text books".  (I read ~500pp/wk)  Take
>> a moment to think of that volume (let alone MASS!).
>>
>> I eventually scanned everything with a Perfect Binding and now fit those
>> same books on a single microSD card (in a Nook; PDFs on a 12" tablet).
>
>PDFs are a dreadful format! Maybe there's a high-end e-ink that
>processes them effectively but they look like shit on the cheaper ones
>like most of the Kindles with e-ink displays.

PDF's are fearful. It is under control of one company, Adobe.
It is changed without notice. I regret the change away from PostScript
that at least was defined.

Groetjes Albert
--
Don't praise the day before the evening. One swallow doesn't make spring.
You must not say "hey" before you have crossed the bridge. Don't sell the

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<v0itoa$ch93$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136494&group=sci.electronics.design#136494

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:14:50 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 13:14 UTC

On 26/04/2024 19:46, bitrex wrote:
> I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
> electronics books:
>
> <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>
> I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
> assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
> which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
> the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
> fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.

They look a bit weak and feeble to me.

My books are all in Billy bookcases from the same vendor and apart from
them changing the available veneers (discontinuing my favourite cherry)
have never given me any trouble. I overload some of them too!

You can turn the loose shelves over to even out the curve. Not so for
the fixed ones but they have additional support from the back board.

--
Martin Brown

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<931q2jp1e2kaohfq8grais07gea1gdicqt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136496&group=sci.electronics.design#136496

From: jjSNIPla...@highNONOlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 07:02:32 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:02 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:15:54 +0200, albert@spenarnc.xs4all.nl wrote:

>In article <662bffdf$0$8488$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>,
>bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>>> Smarter move is to buy all of your texts in electronic form, before you
>>> end up with a shitload of dead trees!
>>>
>>> When I moved here (~30 yrs), I had some 80 "Xerox Paper" cartons full
>>> of paperbacks -- not counting "text books".  (I read ~500pp/wk)  Take
>>> a moment to think of that volume (let alone MASS!).
>>>
>>> I eventually scanned everything with a Perfect Binding and now fit those
>>> same books on a single microSD card (in a Nook; PDFs on a 12" tablet).
>>
>>PDFs are a dreadful format! Maybe there's a high-end e-ink that
>>processes them effectively but they look like shit on the cheaper ones
>>like most of the Kindles with e-ink displays.
>
>PDF's are fearful. It is under control of one company, Adobe.
>It is changed without notice. I regret the change away from PostScript
>that at least was defined.
>
>Groetjes Albert

I don't run any Adobe software. I run several programs that export
PDFs, and a viewer/virtual printer program handles the rest. Firefox
will view PDFs too.

PDFs look good and are a good way to deliver manuals and such.

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<v0jhmd$h25f$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136505&group=sci.electronics.design#136505

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 11:54:55 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 18:54 UTC

On 4/27/2024 3:15 AM, albert@spenarnc.xs4all.nl wrote:
>>> I eventually scanned everything with a Perfect Binding and now fit those
>>> same books on a single microSD card (in a Nook; PDFs on a 12" tablet).
>>
>> PDFs are a dreadful format! Maybe there's a high-end e-ink that
>> processes them effectively but they look like shit on the cheaper ones
>> like most of the Kindles with e-ink displays.
>
> PDF's are fearful. It is under control of one company, Adobe.
> It is changed without notice. I regret the change away from PostScript
> that at least was defined.

How is this any different than other file formats "controlled" by their
originators? MS can't even access THEIR older versions of THEIR format.
I have PCB layout tools that can't read THEIR earlier (one version)
files, etc.

You can find other PDF tools (including FOSS) to support the BASIC
functionality of PDF documents. Whether or not those tools will
support embedded script, etc. is something that few documents
really exploit (so, safe to ignore, in most cases)

You could always render your document to a TIFF (and then encapsulate it
in a PDF!), losing the textual nature in the process...

Re: OT: central limit theorem

<662d74a1$0$8096$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136512&group=sci.electronics.design#136512

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 17:56:49 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:56 UTC

On 4/26/2024 7:54 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 2024-04-26 15:30, Joe Gwinn wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:46:52 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I have one of these inexpensive Ikea bookshelves for storing some of my
>>> electronics books:
>>>
>>> <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laiva-bookcase-black-brown-40178591/>
>>>
>>> I noticed the center shelf was starting to sag a few degrees. :( The
>>> assembly manual specifies a weight limit of 33 lbs evenly distributed
>>> which seemed like an oddly specific number. So I weighed the books on
>>> the shelves, which aren't particularly well organized other than to
>>> fully fill the available space widthwise on each shelf.
>>>
>>> A random assortment of hardbacks and paperbacks, some are tall and
>>> skinny, some are short and fat. And each shelf was clocking in at 33 lbs
>>> +/- 2 lbs.
>>
>> Ikea shelves are made of veneered particle board, and can creep under
>> steady load.  Is it possible to flip the shelf planks upside down, so
>> they start to creep back towards straight?
>>

>>> So I guess a heuristic for filling these shelves is just fill 'em up
>>> then remove the heaviest book, and de-rate the center shelf by maybe 5-
>>> 10 lbs because it's unsupported by a backing.
>>
>> If the shelf plank material is creeping, this won't work.
>>
>> Joe Gwinn
>>

> The OP might want to upgrade to Ivar shelves. I’ve got probably a dozen
> sections, 7 feet tall, and Ikea still sells them, I think.
>
> Inexpensive, solid wood, good looking, super strong, and last forever.
>
> Otherwise they stink.
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs

My GF and I share some floor space in a spare room for our "library" and
while these seem pretty sturdy for my GF's paperbacks, for texts like
AoE III and the like a bit lacking. I'm definitely going to suggest an
upgrade and/or swapperooni.

I have the Ikea Bror system for my workspace:

<https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/bror-system-42245/>

which synergizes great with an electrically-adjustable worktable with a
high lift; allows full access to top and bottom storage with a minimum
of crouching.