From: klausk...@hotmail.com (Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Practical resistor accuracy distribution
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 00:54:41 +0200
 by: Klaus Vestergaard Kr - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 22:54 UTC

Hi

I needed to look into distribution of accuracy of resistors.

Vendors don't have any info, but luckily some nice people online have
done measurements:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/smd-resistor-distributions/

https://lambdafox.com/resistor-tolerances/

Regards

Klaus

Re: Practical resistor accuracy distribution

<8reo2jd6545ddln1elkq2een9tmle6ard7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136480&group=sci.electronics.design#136480

From: jjSNIPla...@highNONOlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Practical resistor accuracy distribution
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:47:40 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 23:47 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 00:54:41 +0200, Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund
<klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I needed to look into distribution of accuracy of resistors.
>
>Vendors don't have any info, but luckily some nice people online have
>done measurements:
>
>https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/smd-resistor-distributions/
>
>https://lambdafox.com/resistor-tolerances/
>
>Regards
>
>Klaus

Are resistors usually low to save time laser trimming?

Are resistors on the same reel closer than parts from another reel?

The Susumu thinfilms are really good.

Re: Practical resistor accuracy distribution

<ilgo2jtvl18iqiv4t6eumqdkciu5rti2cg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136484&group=sci.electronics.design#136484

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:16:48 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 00:16 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 00:54:41 +0200, Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund
<klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I needed to look into distribution of accuracy of resistors.
>
>Vendors don't have any info, but luckily some nice people online have
>done measurements:
>
><https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/smd-resistor-distributions/>
>
><https://lambdafox.com/resistor-tolerances/>

The thing to be aware of is that resistor value distributions are
often wildly non-Gaussian. The classic example is where there are
grades, say 1%, 5%, and 20%. The 5% group will often have a hole that
happens to match the 1% distribution perfectly.

A lot of modern resistors are made with a relatively wide
distribution, and then machine-sorted into bins. In this case, many
of the bins will have uniform distributions. And so on.

Joe Gwinn

Re: Practical resistor accuracy distribution

<t2po2j9mif95u0lg1m6drskj54pf5dl27s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136486&group=sci.electronics.design#136486

From: jjSNIPla...@highNONOlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:38:07 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 02:38 UTC

On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:16:48 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 00:54:41 +0200, Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund
><klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I needed to look into distribution of accuracy of resistors.
>>
>>Vendors don't have any info, but luckily some nice people online have
>>done measurements:
>>
>><https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/smd-resistor-distributions/>
>>
>><https://lambdafox.com/resistor-tolerances/>
>>
>The thing to be aware of is that resistor value distributions are
>often wildly non-Gaussian. The classic example is where there are
>grades, say 1%, 5%, and 20%. The 5% group will often have a hole that
>happens to match the 1% distribution perfectly.
>
>A lot of modern resistors are made with a relatively wide
>distribution, and then machine-sorted into bins. In this case, many
>of the bins will have uniform distributions. And so on.
>
>Joe Gwinn

I suspect that they may laser trimmed and shipped, not binned.

One batch on a reel could be very close to one another.

Re: Practical resistor accuracy distribution

<00pq2jh2o2ru6qqlp4bs79f4bn5s95agu7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136508&group=sci.electronics.design#136508

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 16:47:29 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 20:47 UTC

On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:38:07 -0700, John Larkin
<jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:16:48 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 00:54:41 +0200, Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund
>><klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I needed to look into distribution of accuracy of resistors.
>>>
>>>Vendors don't have any info, but luckily some nice people online have
>>>done measurements:
>>>
>>><https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/smd-resistor-distributions/>
>>>
>>><https://lambdafox.com/resistor-tolerances/>
>>>
>>The thing to be aware of is that resistor value distributions are
>>often wildly non-Gaussian. The classic example is where there are
>>grades, say 1%, 5%, and 20%. The 5% group will often have a hole that
>>happens to match the 1% distribution perfectly.
>>
>>A lot of modern resistors are made with a relatively wide
>>distribution, and then machine-sorted into bins. In this case, many
>>of the bins will have uniform distributions. And so on.
>>
>>Joe Gwinn
>
>I suspect that they may laser trimmed and shipped, not binned.
>
>One batch on a reel could be very close to one another.

Also possible, and maybe a combination of both?

But the fundamental point is that one must measure to be sure, unless
one is a large enough customer that the manufacturer will simply tell
you.

Joe Gwinn

Re: Practical resistor accuracy distribution

<ksqq2jthglli8duia5nd78scf6o0mv4nar@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136509&group=sci.electronics.design#136509

From: jjSNIPla...@highNONOlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:24:43 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:24 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 16:47:29 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:38:07 -0700, John Larkin
><jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:16:48 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
>>wrote:

>>>The thing to be aware of is that resistor value distributions are
>>>often wildly non-Gaussian. The classic example is where there are
>>>grades, say 1%, 5%, and 20%. The 5% group will often have a hole that
>>>happens to match the 1% distribution perfectly.
>>>
>>>A lot of modern resistors are made with a relatively wide
>>>distribution, and then machine-sorted into bins. In this case, many
>>>of the bins will have uniform distributions. And so on.
>>>
>>>Joe Gwinn
>>
>>I suspect that they may laser trimmed and shipped, not binned.
>>
>>One batch on a reel could be very close to one another.
>
>Also possible, and maybe a combination of both?
>
>But the fundamental point is that one must measure to be sure, unless
>one is a large enough customer that the manufacturer will simply tell
>you.
>
>Joe Gwinn

We just assume that all 1% resistors are within 1%.

We buy 0.1% and some 0.05% parts too. Since most of our products have
software-based calibration, we mostly care about resistor tempcos, not
so much tolerances.

Re: Practical resistor accuracy distribution

<l5sq2jp8a9ntpmlc8tqdslkscrcljednh7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136510&group=sci.electronics.design#136510

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 17:41:10 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:41 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:24:43 -0700, John Larkin
<jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 16:47:29 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:38:07 -0700, John Larkin
>><jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>>>I suspect that they may laser trimmed and shipped, not binned.
>>>
>>>One batch on a reel could be very close to one another.
>>
>>Also possible, and maybe a combination of both?
>>
>>But the fundamental point is that one must measure to be sure, unless
>>one is a large enough customer that the manufacturer will simply tell
>>you.
>>
>>Joe Gwinn
>
>We just assume that all 1% resistors are within 1%.
>
>We buy 0.1% and some 0.05% parts too. Since most of our products have
>software-based calibration, we mostly care about resistor tempcos, not
>so much tolerances.

Yes, and calibration will wash all those strange-distribution woes
away.

Joe Gwinn

Re: Practical resistor accuracy distribution

<cqsq2j1q6e91a8jbeefuur8sfqgcso92db@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136513&group=sci.electronics.design#136513

From: jjSNIPla...@highNONOlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:53:48 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:53 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 17:41:10 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:24:43 -0700, John Larkin
><jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 16:47:29 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
>>wrote:

>>>Also possible, and maybe a combination of both?
>>>
>>>But the fundamental point is that one must measure to be sure, unless
>>>one is a large enough customer that the manufacturer will simply tell
>>>you.
>>>
>>>Joe Gwinn
>>
>>We just assume that all 1% resistors are within 1%.
>>
>>We buy 0.1% and some 0.05% parts too. Since most of our products have
>>software-based calibration, we mostly care about resistor tempcos, not
>>so much tolerances.
>
>Yes, and calibration will wash all those strange-distribution woes
>away.
>
>Joe Gwinn

One could cal out tempcos, but test time would be outrageous.

We are bidding on one unit that might need that. Yuk. The alternative
is to, basically, ovenize the PCB.

Re: Practical resistor accuracy distribution

<v0khk2$rmk5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136518&group=sci.electronics.design#136518

From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 14:00:01 +1000
 by: Bill Sloman - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 04:00 UTC

On 28/04/2024 7:53 am, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 17:41:10 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>wrote

> One could cal out tempcos, but test time would be outrageous.
>
> We are bidding on one unit that might need that. Yuk. The alternative
> is to, basically, ovenize the PCB.

Top-end crystal oscillators have been relying on that for decades now.

Peltier junctions let you stabilise the board temperature close to room
temperature, which can reduce long term drift.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney