Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 11:06:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Paleo-etymology
From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 18:06 UTC

This is remarkable. I click to reply to a post by "Ruud Harmsen via Google Groups <google@rudhar.com>"
with talk about participants to whom trolling comes naturally when subjected to sustained criticism.
But instead, something totally unrelated comes up. However, I find the content fascinating and I have something
to add to it below.

On Saturday, October 31, 2020 at 1:49:57 PM UTC-4, DKleinecke wrote:
> On Saturday, October 31, 2020 at 9:27:03 AM UTC-7, Daud Deden wrote:
> > Summary
> > https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/10/201022125525.htm
> >
> > Humans are born with brains 'prewired' to see words
> > Study finds connections to language areas of the brain
> > Date:
> > October 22, 2020
> > Source:
> > Ohio State University

To carry this idea further, there may also be a "tactile/kinesthetic word form area" which makes it possible for people
to touch type. It's a world apart from "hunt and peck" which is all some otherwise highly skilled adults
ever learned.

> A dubious proposition considering speech is usually not written.

Yes, but there is a phenomenon known as "synesthesia" in the more rigorously scientific part of psychology. It is the
way stimuli from one sense produce output in another sense. A classic example is when you close your eyes and
start moving towards a wall. At a certain point, the numerous echoes impinging on your ears somehow produce
a kind of cutaneous sensation that creates the illusion of "feeling the wall at a distance."

The kinesthetic sense was rather crudely described in my beginning psychology course as "knowing where your
hand, etc. is without looking." But it obviously plays a vital role in knowing which finger to depress next in
the process of touch typing. I wonder just how deeply neuroscientists have gone into this area.

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
University of South Carolina
http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

PS I have much more I could say about these topics, but I'll wait a while to see whether there is any
feedback from the person who authored the post to which I am replying.