From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Flat tappet cam lube
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:10:07 -0600
 by: Snag - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:10 UTC

In particular , for initial break-in . I've been reading up on the
proper lubes for initial run-in , and most recommend a lube - and motor
oil additive - with a lot of zinc . Others recommend moly for an initial
lube and don't say much about zinc additives . I have assembly lube that
has moly and graphite , or should I get the special zinc loaded stuff ?
--
Snag
My rights don't end

Re: Flat tappet cam lube

<suud5f$3j1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1374&group=rec.autos.tech#1374

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: Flat tappet cam lube
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:51:43 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:51 UTC

On 2/20/2022 3:10 PM, Snag wrote:
> In particular , for initial break-in . I've been reading
> up on the proper lubes for initial run-in , and most
> recommend a lube - and motor oil additive - with a lot of
> zinc . Others recommend moly for an initial lube and don't
> say much about zinc additives . I have assembly lube that
> has moly and graphite , or should I get the special zinc
> loaded stuff ?

I'm not an expert but this is good coverage on the issues:
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/05/assembly-oils-greases-and-lubes/

My engine guru of many years says Shell Rotella Diesel T4
with zinc engine oil for regular service and I do.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Flat tappet cam lube

<suulh9$sgf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1375&group=rec.autos.tech#1375

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 19:14:34 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 00:14 UTC

On 2/20/2022 16:51, AMuzi wrote:
> On 2/20/2022 3:10 PM, Snag wrote:
>> In particular , for initial break-in . I've been reading
>> up on the proper lubes for initial run-in , and most
>> recommend a lube - and motor oil additive - with a lot of
>> zinc . Others recommend moly for an initial lube and don't
>> say much about zinc additives . I have assembly lube that
>> has moly and graphite , or should I get the special zinc
>> loaded stuff ?
>
> I'm not an expert but this is good coverage on the issues:
> https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/05/assembly-oils-greases-and-lubes/
>
> My engine guru of many years says Shell Rotella Diesel T4 with zinc
> engine oil for regular service and I do.

I concur with the above. Also not an expert, but many old car guys like
Shell Rotella Diesel oil, and I usually hear people advising to use zinc
additives for flat tappet cam engines.

Re: Flat tappet cam lube

<sv06v1$m9i$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1376&group=rec.autos.tech#1376

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: 21 Feb 2022 14:18:09 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 14:18 UTC

In article <suuang$soa$1@dont-email.me>, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
> In particular , for initial break-in . I've been reading up on the
>proper lubes for initial run-in , and most recommend a lube - and motor
>oil additive - with a lot of zinc . Others recommend moly for an initial
>lube and don't say much about zinc additives . I have assembly lube that
>has moly and graphite , or should I get the special zinc loaded stuff ?

The assembly lube isn't going to stick around on oil-submerged parts for
more than a minute anyway after the thing is operating. So long-term
issues like ZDDP content should not be a problem.

You ARE going to fill the crankcase up and cover the cams with oil before
starting up, right? You're not going to rely entirely on the assembly
lube for lubrication until the oil pressure builds up, right?

So I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just use a motor oil with a lot of ZDDP,
or a motor oil with a ZDDP additive. I think Rotella T is a good choice
for break-in even if you're intending on moving to a synthetic oil with
a ZDDP additive later on.

I see assembly lubes with all kinds of stuff in them. I don't see any of
these as being a real advantage but if it makes you feel better to spend
an extra five bucks for an assembly lube with zinc in it, it won't hurt
anything.

When those roller-cam engines were new, people were using things like
vaseline and used motor oil for assembly lubes. Or white lead mixed
into lard. Anything you can buy today is better quality than what the
engine was originally built with.
--scott

Re: Flat tappet cam lube

<sv1e8c$flp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1377&group=rec.autos.tech#1377

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 19:28:44 -0600
 by: Snag - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 01:28 UTC

On 2/21/2022 8:18 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article <suuang$soa$1@dont-email.me>, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>> In particular , for initial break-in . I've been reading up on the
>> proper lubes for initial run-in , and most recommend a lube - and motor
>> oil additive - with a lot of zinc . Others recommend moly for an initial
>> lube and don't say much about zinc additives . I have assembly lube that
>> has moly and graphite , or should I get the special zinc loaded stuff ?
>
> The assembly lube isn't going to stick around on oil-submerged parts for
> more than a minute anyway after the thing is operating. So long-term
> issues like ZDDP content should not be a problem.
>
> You ARE going to fill the crankcase up and cover the cams with oil before
> starting up, right? You're not going to rely entirely on the assembly
> lube for lubrication until the oil pressure builds up, right?

I'll be driving the oil pump with a drill motor until I see oil
coming from all the right places . I should be able to push it all the
way to the rocker arms .

> So I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just use a motor oil with a lot of ZDDP,
> or a motor oil with a ZDDP additive. I think Rotella T is a good choice
> for break-in even if you're intending on moving to a synthetic oil with
> a ZDDP additive later on.
>
> I see assembly lubes with all kinds of stuff in them. I don't see any of
> these as being a real advantage but if it makes you feel better to spend
> an extra five bucks for an assembly lube with zinc in it, it won't hurt
> anything.

I'll use the assembly lube I've got , and continue to use Castrol GTX
but add a zddp additive .

> When those roller-cam engines were new, people were using things like
> vaseline and used motor oil for assembly lubes. Or white lead mixed
> into lard. Anything you can buy today is better quality than what the
> engine was originally built with.
> --scott

At least I've always used new oil ! Back in the day we didn't use
assembly lube , I don't even know if it was available then .
--
Snag
My rights don't end