Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 07:24:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sustainability
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 14:24 UTC

I know what the propaganda says. I know what the
"Woke" crowd regurgitates on command like the
well trained dogs that they are but, think of this:

"Sustainability" was always an issue. It's just that
we in the present are the most arduous in it's
pursuit, if not the first ever to practice it.

Yes, "Sustainability" was sought/practiced on a
very limited scale or application in the past, that
we know of...

Google: Desertification for a stellar example.

My point is, humans over exploit. Even today. Even
right now. Even knowing the consequences. Humans
over exploit. Most forms of life do. There's usually a
predator/prey balance that keeps things from going
overboard which means the "Sustainability" is
external. It's thrust on a population in nature, if it
exists at all, and no natural population makes an
effort towards it.

What does this mean?

Over exploitation -- extinction, the stripping of land --
is the hallmark of humans! We find evidence for the
over exploitation of local resources, we find evidence
of human habitation.

What I would be looking for is the absence of, say,
shellfish or specific shellfish within the sediments of
a certain depth. If they're present before and maybe
more recently, but absent for a specific period, that
would be consistent with human occupation and
exploitation.

LET'S MAKE ONE THING CLEAR:

humans have tastes. We /Like/ certain things and
/Dislike/ others. If we're starving we may eat just
about anything that'll fit into our mouths, but if we're
not starving then we'll go for the specific food that
we like, even if it means more work than another
food.

THAT'S another sign of humans but, the problem
with that one is that a breeding population might
pick clean one specific shellfish within the sliver of
a moment, in geologic time, so from our standpoint
it's unlike we could measure any difference between
when one was wiped out as opposed to the other.

...but we could see if they both vanished!

So over exploitation would be something we could
look for AND FIND, even in our most archaic ancestors.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/687778124367380480