The earth is like a tiny grain of sand, only much, much heavier.

tech / sci.lang / Re: oxy-ide

SubjectAuthor
* oxy-idewugi
+* Re: oxy-idePeter T. Daniels
|`* Re: oxy-idewugi
| `* Re: oxy-ideRuud Harmsen
|  `- Re: oxy-ideHelmut Richter
`* Re: oxy-ideChristian Weisgerber
 +- Re: oxy-idewugi
 `- Re: oxy-idePeter T. Daniels

1
oxy-ide

<sphseu$bn0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14088&group=sci.lang#14088

From: wug...@scrlt.com (wugi)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: oxy-ide
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 12:31:38 +0100
 by: wugi - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 11:31 UTC

Why does English mess up oxygen and oxide?

According to https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=oxide it was coined in
French in 1787 from ox(ygène) and (ac)ide, but in French it is oxyde and
according to my etymo-Larousse straight from gr. oxys, as from 1787.
Also in other languages you'll see d. Oxyd, nl. oxyde...

--
guido wugi

Re: oxy-ide

<6a92f87e-460b-4134-87b0-78f469a91fe6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14089&group=sci.lang#14089

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 05:43:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: oxy-ide
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 13:43 UTC

On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 6:31:45 AM UTC-5, wugi wrote:

> Why does English mess up oxygen and oxide?
>
> According to https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=oxide it was coined in
> French in 1787 from ox(ygène) and (ac)ide, but in French it is oxyde and
> according to my etymo-Larousse straight from gr. oxys, as from 1787.
> Also in other languages you'll see d. Oxyd, nl. oxyde...

What do all those other languages do for all the salts with the suffix -ide?

Re: oxy-ide

<spi7sv$1s5l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14090&group=sci.lang#14090

From: wug...@scrlt.com (wugi)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:46:53 +0100
 by: wugi - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 14:46 UTC

Op 17-12-2021 om 14:43 schreef Peter T. Daniels:
> On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 6:31:45 AM UTC-5, wugi wrote:
>
>> Why does English mess up oxygen and oxide?
>>
>> According to https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=oxide it was coined in
>> French in 1787 from ox(ygène) and (ac)ide, but in French it is oxyde and
>> according to my etymo-Larousse straight from gr. oxys, as from 1787.
>> Also in other languages you'll see d. Oxyd, nl. oxyde...
>
> What do all those other languages do for all the salts with the suffix -ide?

True, also a mess.
My Dutch and German diccionaries only bring oxyde, Oxyd, but
https://etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/oxide only gives oxide, as does
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenclatuur_(scheikunde) which lists
oxide together with other -ides.
Same in German https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenklatur_(Chemie) -oxiden.
In French you've got oxydes, but their counterparts are called -ures:
chlorure de sodium (salt:), fluorure...

Fuzzy sources and usage, then.

--
guido wugi

Re: oxy-ide

<slrnsrp8p9.1fs.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14091&group=sci.lang#14091

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 14:48:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 14:48 UTC

On 2021-12-17, wugi <wugi@scrlt.com> wrote:

> Why does English mess up oxygen and oxide?
>
> According to https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=oxide it was coined in
> French in 1787 from ox(ygène) and (ac)ide, but in French it is oxyde and
> according to my etymo-Larousse straight from gr. oxys, as from 1787.

TLFi concurs that de Morveau coined it as _oxide_ in 1787 and
supplies this quotation:
Nous avons formé le mot oxide qui d'une part rappelle la substance
avec laquelle le métal est uni, qui d'autre part annonce suffisamment
que cette combinaison de l'oxigène ne doit pas être confondue
avec la combinaison acide.

The spelling _oxyde_ is first attested in 1801 in French.
https://www.cnrtl.fr/etymologie/oxyde

> Also in other languages you'll see d. Oxyd, nl. oxyde...

German has been aligning the spelling of chemical nomenclature with
international standards (i.e., English) in recent decades, although
the old spellings continue to float around outside the scientific
literature.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: oxy-ide

<spid8e$jv6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14092&group=sci.lang#14092

From: bro...@wugi.be (wugi)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 17:17:25 +0100
 by: wugi - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 16:17 UTC

Op 17/12/2021 om 15:48 schreef Christian Weisgerber:
> On 2021-12-17, wugi <wugi@scrlt.com> wrote:
>
>> Why does English mess up oxygen and oxide?
>>
>> According to https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=oxide it was coined in
>> French in 1787 from ox(ygène) and (ac)ide, but in French it is oxyde and
>> according to my etymo-Larousse straight from gr. oxys, as from 1787.
> TLFi concurs that de Morveau coined it as _oxide_ in 1787 and
> supplies this quotation:
> Nous avons formé le mot oxide qui d'une part rappelle la substance
> avec laquelle le métal est uni, qui d'autre part annonce suffisamment
> que cette combinaison de l'oxigène ne doit pas être confondue
> avec la combinaison acide.

Well, that's confusing too, isn't it? If the intention had been to avoid
confusion between acide and oxide, what you'd expect would be precisely
a spelling difference. Taking as a reference "oxygène", that means;
speaking of which that "oxigène" doesn't look orthodox either. According
to my Larousse "on a hésité, à l'époque [1783], entre oxygène et oxygine
(du lat. gignere, engendrer)." Not between oxigène et oxygène :)

--

guido wugi

Re: oxy-ide

<e08c7bc8-9e99-4571-91c8-649d1679ea32n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14093&group=sci.lang#14093

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 08:23:07 -0800 (PST)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 16:23 UTC

On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 10:30:06 AM UTC-5, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2021-12-17, wugi <wu...@scrlt.com> wrote:
>
> > Why does English mess up oxygen and oxide?
> >
> > According to https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=oxide it was coined in
> > French in 1787 from ox(ygène) and (ac)ide, but in French it is oxyde and
> > according to my etymo-Larousse straight from gr. oxys, as from 1787.
> TLFi concurs that de Morveau coined it as _oxide_ in 1787 and
> supplies this quotation:
> Nous avons formé le mot oxide qui d'une part rappelle la substance
> avec laquelle le métal est uni, qui d'autre part annonce suffisamment
> que cette combinaison de l'oxigène ne doit pas être confondue
> avec la combinaison acide.
>
> The spelling _oxyde_ is first attested in 1801 in French.
> https://www.cnrtl.fr/etymologie/oxyde

If you like "oxyde," you ought to also like "hydrode"!

> > Also in other languages you'll see d. Oxyd, nl. oxyde...
>
> German has been aligning the spelling of chemical nomenclature with
> international standards (i.e., English) in recent decades, although
> the old spellings continue to float around outside the scientific
> literature.

When did they discover that salts like the chlorides and iodides,
at least, were the same sort of thing? (Perhaps not sodium chloride,
because sodium metal came along a bit later, and perhaps not the
fluorides, because flourine bonds so tenaciously.),

Asimov's *Building Blocks of the Universe* was one of my favorites
--his first or one of his first science books (1957) -- apparently out
of print but used copies command surprisingly high prices.

Re: oxy-ide

<jmjprg9ptcb2b0bn1cetlnl35usos9rb19@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14094&group=sci.lang#14094

From: rh...@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 18:57:20 +0100
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 17:57 UTC

Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:46:53 +0100: wugi <wugi@scrlt.com> scribeva:
>> What do all those other languages do for all the salts with the suffix -ide?
>
>True, also a mess.
>My Dutch and German diccionaries only bring oxyde, Oxyd, but
>https://etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/oxide only gives oxide, as does
>https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenclatuur_(scheikunde) which lists
>oxide together with other -ides.

In the official Woordenlijsten (Words Lists) of 1954 and 1990, it was
still -oxyde and oxyderen (the verb). This was changed in 1954, when
it became -oxide and oxideren, as it still is today.

>Same in German https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenklatur_(Chemie) -oxiden.
>In French you've got oxydes, but their counterparts are called -ures:
>chlorure de sodium (salt:), fluorure...

Interlingua of course still has the y, and will not change.

Re: oxy-ide

<alpine.DEB.2.22.394.2112171954580.6416@kiboko2>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14095&group=sci.lang#14095

From: hr.use...@email.de (Helmut Richter)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 20:13:58 +0100
 by: Helmut Richter - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 19:13 UTC

On Fri, 17 Dec 2021, Ruud Harmsen wrote:

> Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:46:53 +0100: wugi <wugi@scrlt.com> scribeva:
> >> What do all those other languages do for all the salts with the suffix -ide?
> >
> >True, also a mess.
> >My Dutch and German diccionaries only bring oxyde, Oxyd, but
> >https://etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/oxide only gives oxide, as does
> >https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenclatuur_(scheikunde) which lists
> >oxide together with other -ides.
>
> In the official Woordenlijsten (Words Lists) of 1954 and 1990, it was
> still -oxyde and oxyderen (the verb). This was changed in 1954, when
> it became -oxide and oxideren, as it still is today.
>
> >Same in German https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenklatur_(Chemie) -oxiden.

Chemical nomenclature has been angl... internationalised in several steps,
and it is not easy to find out what happened when. My 1961 Duden has
"Oxid" (also obsolescent "Oxyd") but only "oxydieren", "oxydation" and
"-oxy-" as prefix. At least "oxidieren/-dation" is meanwhile an accepted
version.

The names "Ether", "Ethan/-en/-in" are still strictly reserved for
scientific jargon. Commonly they are called "Äther", "Äthan", "Äthylen",
and "Acetylen".

Note that German, other than English, has fairly straightforward
pronunciation rules, according to which the new spelling will change the
pronunciation:
Oxid [ɔˈksiːd̥] – Oxyd [ɔˈksyːd̥], Ether [ˈʔeːtɐ] – Äther [ˈʔɛːtɐ]

--
Helmut Richter