Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 18:10:10 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Paleo-etymology
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 02:10 UTC

Quora, my response to 'Why is beard hair different from scalp hair?'.

Coarse hair (beard hair, axillary underarm hair and genital hair) is associated with skin glands that produce scent, a retention of our anthropoid ancestral reproductive physiology.
Body hair is a retention of our mammal ancestral temperature control physiology, thermo-insulation, reduced in length due to the adaptation of nocturnal sheltering, diurnal clothing, and domestic fire by paleolithic people.
Scalp (head) hair is a retention of our primate ancestral fur that has been modified by ancestral environments, tightly coiled in hot tropical zones (shading while ventilating scalp), straight in cold temperate zones (providing insulation).
Pregnant women/mothers grow thicker longer scalp hair, which gave piggyback-riding (or floating in water) toddlers an easily grasped part of her while keeping her hands free to forage and process food.
(I didn't mention speech, domeshields nor obligate orthograde bipedalism, for brevity).

tech / sci.lang / Re: Paleo-etymology