The man on tops walks a lonely street; the "chain" of command is often a noose.

tech / sci.lang / Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?

SubjectAuthor
* Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?S K
`* Re: Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?Christian Weisgerber
 `* Re: Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?S K
  `- Re: Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?Daud Deden

1
Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?

<451a1207-4d45-48d8-b928-e09620127b0bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14292&group=sci.lang#14292

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:38:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?
From: skpfl...@gmail.com (S K)
 by: S K - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 16:38 UTC

<eom>

Re: Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?

<slrnsu340m.1iki.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14295&group=sci.lang#14295

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 15:00:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 15:00 UTC

On 2022-01-13, S K <skpflex1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Subject: Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?

Yes.

There is the curious observation that many East Slavic names exist
in Russian, Belarusian, and Ukrainian variants and, when a person
is referred to, the name is adapted to the language the speaker/writer
uses. For examples, pick a famous person from one of those countries
and compare the Wikipedia entries in the respective language editions:

ru: Владимир Владимирович Путин (Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin)
be: Уладзімір Уладзіміравіч Пуцін (Uladzimir Uladzimiravich Putsin)
uk: Володимир Володимирович Путін (Volodymyr Volodymyrovytch Putin)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?

<5461d0ad-791c-4481-beb5-05a3ce32f6c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14297&group=sci.lang#14297

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 08:23:38 -0800 (PST)
From: skpfl...@gmail.com (S K)
 by: S K - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:23 UTC

On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 10:30:07 AM UTC-5, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2022-01-13, S K <sk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Subject: Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?
>
> Yes.
>
> There is the curious observation that many East Slavic names exist
> in Russian, Belarusian, and Ukrainian variants and, when a person
> is referred to, the name is adapted to the language the speaker/writer
> uses. For examples, pick a famous person from one of those countries
> and compare the Wikipedia entries in the respective language editions:
>
> ru: Владимир Владимирович Путин (Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin)
> be: Уладзімір Уладзіміравіч Пуцін (Uladzimir Uladzimiravich Putsin)
> uk: Володимир Володимирович Путін (Volodymyr Volodymyrovytch Putin)
>
> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de

Thank you. Are variations like this and

Catherine: Ekaterina (Russian), Catriona or Catrina (Scottish), Katarzyna (Polish), Katharina (German), Caitríona (Gaelic), Catarina (Italian).
Elizabeth: Elisheba (Hebrew), Elisabeta (Hawaiian), Elisabetta (Italian), Elzbieta (Polish), Elisabet (Scandinavian).
Edward: Édouard (French), Eduard (German), Eadbhard (Irish), Eduardo (Italian), Edvard (Scandinavian).
Christopher: Christoph (German), Cristoforo (Italian).

due to native sound changes of an underlying root name?

Re: Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?

<75e5f0cb-848f-45e4-bdd6-2823918cb0afn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14299&group=sci.lang#14299

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 18:04:07 -0800 (PST)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 02:04 UTC

On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 11:23:40 AM UTC-5, S K wrote:
> On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 10:30:07 AM UTC-5, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > On 2022-01-13, S K <sk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Subject: Are vladimir and volodymyr variations of the same name?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > There is the curious observation that many East Slavic names exist
> > in Russian, Belarusian, and Ukrainian variants and, when a person
> > is referred to, the name is adapted to the language the speaker/writer
> > uses. For examples, pick a famous person from one of those countries
> > and compare the Wikipedia entries in the respective language editions:
> >
> > ru: Владимир Владимирович Путин (Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin)
> > be: Уладзімір Уладзіміравіч Пуцін (Uladzimir Uladzimiravich Putsin)
> > uk: Володимир Володимирович Путін (Volodymyr Volodymyrovytch Putin)
> >
> > --
> > Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de
> Thank you. Are variations like this and
>
> Catherine: Ekaterina (Russian), Catriona or Catrina (Scottish), Katarzyna (Polish), Katharina (German), Caitríona (Gaelic), Catarina (Italian).
> Elizabeth: Elisheba (Hebrew), Elisabeta (Hawaiian), Elisabetta (Italian), Elzbieta (Polish), Elisabet (Scandinavian).
> Edward: Édouard (French), Eduard (German), Eadbhard (Irish), Eduardo (Italian), Edvard (Scandinavian).
> Christopher: Christoph (German), Cristoforo (Italian).
>
> due to native sound changes of an underlying root name?

I think San women called Elizabeth Marshall "Lispe".