U X e dUdX, e dX, cosine, secant, tangent, sine, 3.14159...

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersgeoff
+* Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersWhisky-dave
|+- Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersnospam
|+- Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersAlan Browne
|`- Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersgeoff
+* Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersAlan Browne
|`* Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersDavid Taylor
| +- Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersnospam
| `* Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersAlan Browne
|  `* Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersDavid Taylor
|   `- Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersnospam
`* Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersAlfred Molon
 +* Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersnospam
 |`- Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersgeoff
 `* Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersgeoff
  `- Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyersgeoff

1
Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<Ey2dneOSKJcvBFz5nZ2dnZfqn_Zj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14390&group=rec.photo.digital#14390

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 10:09:54 +1200
Subject: Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 22:09 UTC

On 27/07/2023 1:52 am, RichA wrote:
> Ridiculous:
>
> https://petapixel.com/2023/07/25/the-sony-a6700-doesnt-ship-to-customers-with-any-way-to-charge-it/

Yeah. Who needs a zillion chargers anyway !

geoff

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<c8eef9f4-f7e3-4ca8-bd24-f54a61d237f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14391&group=rec.photo.digital#14391

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:57:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:57 UTC

On Thursday, 27 July 2023 at 01:00:32 UTC+1, RichA wrote:
> On Wednesday, 26 July 2023 at 18:10:10 UTC-4, geoff wrote:
> > On 27/07/2023 1:52 am, RichA wrote:
> > > Ridiculous:
> > >
> > > https://petapixel.com/2023/07/25/the-sony-a6700-doesnt-ship-to-customers-with-any-way-to-charge-it/
> > Yeah. Who needs a zillion chargers anyway !
> >
> > geoff
> He said, as all his old ones fail and he's off to Ebay or Amazon to buy new ones. What next, no AC power cords with appliances?

It would be a good move then you could choose what lengh and colour you'd like.

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<CkuwM.7456$VzFf.1396@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14392&group=rec.photo.digital#14392

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 09:31:13 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:31 UTC

On 2023-07-26 20:00, RichA wrote:
> On Wednesday, 26 July 2023 at 18:10:10 UTC-4, geoff wrote:
>> On 27/07/2023 1:52 am, RichA wrote:
>>> Ridiculous:
>>>
>>> https://petapixel.com/2023/07/25/the-sony-a6700-doesnt-ship-to-customers-with-any-way-to-charge-it/
>> Yeah. Who needs a zillion chargers anyway !
>>
>> geoff
>
> He said, as all his old ones fail and he's off to Ebay or Amazon to buy new ones.

So what? In theory at least, you saved the money on the original
article. As to chargers - not only does Amazon carry them, many local
stores will have them too - from grocers, to convenience stores,
pharmacies, gas stations and many more. Even the local electronics shop.

> What next, no AC power cords with appliances?

BS strawman.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<u9ttrf$1q69t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14393&group=rec.photo.digital#14393

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 15:09:51 +0100
 by: David Taylor - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 14:09 UTC

On 27/07/2023 14:31, Alan Browne wrote:
> So what? In theory at least, you saved the money on the original
> article. As to chargers - not only does Amazon carry them, many local
> stores will have them too - from grocers, to convenience stores,
> pharmacies, gas stations and many more. Even the local electronics shop.

There is at least one issue with USB-C connected chargers and devices. Some
USB-C chargers can offer up to 20V, but not all USB-C devices can accept 20V.
Yes, they are supposed to negotiate an agreed charge voltage, but not all
devices negotiate correctly.

For instance, my latest iPad comes with a 9V capable charger. Can I plug in an
earlier iPad which came with a 5V USB charger? I bought an Amazon Kindle,
USB-C, no charger. I asked what voltage it would accept but got no answer.
Not to mention that some USB cables don't support all the necessary signals!

I can imagine a Sony owner being rather unhappy when their new camera is blown
on its first charge...

--
Cheers,
David

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<270720231144453069%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14394&group=rec.photo.digital#14394

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:44:45 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 15:44 UTC

In article <u9ttrf$1q69t$1@dont-email.me>, David Taylor
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> There is at least one issue with USB-C connected chargers and devices. Some
> USB-C chargers can offer up to 20V, but not all USB-C devices can accept 20V.
> Yes, they are supposed to negotiate an agreed charge voltage, but not all
> devices negotiate correctly.

they're *required* to as per the usb spec.

unfortunately, there are non-compliant chargers, devices and cables out
there, generally cheap, which people foolishly buy thinking they're
getting a good deal.

> For instance, my latest iPad comes with a 9V capable charger. Can I plug in
> an earlier iPad which came with a 5V USB charger?

of course.

> I bought an Amazon Kindle,
> USB-C, no charger. I asked what voltage it would accept but got no answer.

it negotiates whatever the charger and device both support.

> Not to mention that some USB cables don't support all the necessary signals!

that part is true.

> I can imagine a Sony owner being rather unhappy when their new camera is blown
> on its first charge...

only if they use non-compliant cables and chargers, the same as it's
always been.

barrel connectors can be any voltage. guess what happens if you plug a
12v charger into a device that wants 5v? linksys routers use both
voltages, depending on model, with the same size barrel connector.

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<AYwwM.269319$DZcb.202375@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14396&group=rec.photo.digital#14396

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: alfred_m...@yahoo.com (Alfred Molon)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 18:30:24 +0200
 by: Alfred Molon - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 16:30 UTC

Am 27.07.2023 um 00:09 schrieb geoff:
> On 27/07/2023 1:52 am, RichA wrote:
>> Ridiculous:
>>
>> https://petapixel.com/2023/07/25/the-sony-a6700-doesnt-ship-to-customers-with-any-way-to-charge-it/
>
> Yeah. Who needs a zillion chargers anyway !

But if the camera is stuck charging the battery, you can't use it to
take pictures.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<270720231242109720%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14397&group=rec.photo.digital#14397

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 12:42:10 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 16:42 UTC

In article <AYwwM.269319$DZcb.202375@fx13.ams1>, Alfred Molon
<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> But if the camera is stuck charging the battery, you can't use it to
> take pictures.

and?

oddly enough, it can be charged while doing something other than taking
pictures, usually overnight while sleeping.

or just get a couple of batteries (which also can be charged overnight).

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<l2ywM.140404$xMqa.10697@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14398&group=rec.photo.digital#14398

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:44:49 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 17:44 UTC

On 2023-07-27 10:09, David Taylor wrote:
> On 27/07/2023 14:31, Alan Browne wrote:
>> So what?  In theory at least, you saved the money on the original
>> article.  As to chargers - not only does Amazon carry them, many local
>> stores will have them too - from grocers, to convenience stores,
>> pharmacies, gas stations and many more.  Even the local electronics shop.
>
> There is at least one issue with USB-C connected chargers and devices.
> Some USB-C chargers can offer up to 20V, but not all USB-C devices can
> accept 20V. Yes, they are supposed to negotiate an agreed charge
> voltage, but not all devices negotiate correctly.
>
> For instance, my latest iPad comes with a 9V capable charger.  Can I
> plug in an earlier iPad which came with a 5V USB charger?  I bought an
> Amazon Kindle, USB-C, no charger.  I asked what voltage it would accept
> but got no answer. Not to mention that some USB cables don't support all
> the necessary signals!
>
> I can imagine a Sony owner being rather unhappy when their new camera is
> blown on its first charge...

Good points, but as nospam points out, one should be careful what they buy.

If in doubt, don't scream and shout, buy from the OEM.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<u9ub6v$1q69t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14399&group=rec.photo.digital#14399

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 18:57:51 +0100
 by: David Taylor - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 17:57 UTC

On 27/07/2023 18:44, Alan Browne wrote:
> Good points, but as nospam points out, one should be careful what they buy.
>
> If in doubt, don't scream and shout, buy from the OEM.

I don't see a Sony charger listed, but in this case as the battery is a
special-to-type the USB-C issue may not arise.
--
Cheers,
David

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<270720231446103472%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14400&group=rec.photo.digital#14400

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 14:46:10 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 18:46 UTC

In article <u9ub6v$1q69t$2@dont-email.me>, David Taylor
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> > Good points, but as nospam points out, one should be careful what they buy.
> >
> > If in doubt, don't scream and shout, buy from the OEM.
>
> I don't see a Sony charger listed,

any charger compliant with the usb-c spec will work. that's the point
of compliance.

> but in this case as the battery is a
> special-to-type the USB-C issue may not arise.

there won't be issues if you use compliant parts (other than defects,
which can happen to anything).

if you use something non-compliant, then anything goes. maybe it will
work. maybe not.

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<270720231525033423%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14401&group=rec.photo.digital#14401

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 15:25:03 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 19:25 UTC

In article <2acdfed3-5ea2-4e08-89da-d71cd4343e3cn@googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guarantee you that people are going to be...surprised (and angry) when they
> find out they can't charge the battery of the new $1000 camera they just
> bought.

yes they can, using any of the usb chargers they *already* *have*.

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<gsAwM.54985$nEzb.7358@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14402&group=rec.photo.digital#14402

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 16:29:00 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 20:29 UTC

On 2023-07-27 15:07, RichA wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 July 2023 at 07:57:15 UTC-4, Whisky-dave wrote:

>>> He said, as all his old ones fail and he's off to Ebay or Amazon to buy new ones. What next, no AC power cords with appliances?
>> It would be a good move then you could choose what lengh and colour you'd like.
>
> I guarantee you that people are going to be...surprised (and angry) when they find out they can't charge the battery of the new $1000 camera they just bought.

When I order things I read the "what is included" part of the offer.
Something you should have learned by the age of 13 or so.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<1EKdnWJxR7Gjdl_5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14403&group=rec.photo.digital#14403

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 10:10:04 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 22:10 UTC

On 28/07/2023 7:07 am, RichA wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 July 2023 at 07:57:15 UTC-4, Whisky-dave wrote:

>>> He said, as all his old ones fail and he's off to Ebay or Amazon to buy new ones. What next, no AC power cords with appliances?
>> It would be a good move then you could choose what lengh and colour you'd like.
>
> I guarantee you that people are going to be...surprised (and angry) when they find out they can't charge the battery of the new $1000 camera they just bought.
> Sony are lying imbeciles for this. It's all about the $$$.

Is it chargeable with a generic USB charger ? If so, no big deal. Surely....

geoff

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<1EKdnZ1wR7GjcV_5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14404&group=rec.photo.digital#14404

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 10:14:21 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 22:14 UTC

On 28/07/2023 4:30 am, Alfred Molon wrote:
> Am 27.07.2023 um 00:09 schrieb geoff:
>> On 27/07/2023 1:52 am, RichA wrote:
>>> Ridiculous:
>>>
>>> https://petapixel.com/2023/07/25/the-sony-a6700-doesnt-ship-to-customers-with-any-way-to-charge-it/
>>
>> Yeah. Who needs a zillion chargers anyway !
>
> But if the camera is stuck charging the battery, you can't use it to
> take pictures.

But Mr Moron, that is the case whether or not a charger is included with
the the camera, or if you use and existing one you have or purchase.

geoff

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<1EKdnZxwR7EFcV_5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14405&group=rec.photo.digital#14405

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 10:15:51 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 22:15 UTC

On 28/07/2023 4:42 am, nospam wrote:
> In article <AYwwM.269319$DZcb.202375@fx13.ams1>, Alfred Molon
> <alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> But if the camera is stuck charging the battery, you can't use it to
>> take pictures.
>
> and?
>
> oddly enough, it can be charged while doing something other than taking
> pictures, usually overnight while sleeping.
>
> or just get a couple of batteries (which also can be charged overnight).

Exactly. And I even have a charger that can charge with it's own
solar-cells, for situations 'off the grid.

geoff

Re: Sony uses "decarbonization" to short-change camera buyers

<7fqdncRSabFsnF75nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14407&group=rec.photo.digital#14407

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 11:46:55 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 23:46 UTC

On 28/07/2023 10:14 am, geoff wrote:
> On 28/07/2023 4:30 am, Alfred Molon wrote:

>>> Yeah. Who needs a zillion chargers anyway !
>>
>> But if the camera is stuck charging the battery, you can't use it to
>> take pictures.
>

> But Mr Moron, that is the case whether or not a charger is included with
> the the camera, or if you use and existing one you have or purchase.
>
> geoff

Here ya go:

One battery operating the camera, and you can have 1 or 2 spare ones
charging at the same time.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1537195-REG/watson_md_4237_mini_duo_charger_for.html

geoff