From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Ukrainian masculines in -o?
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 11:15:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 11:15 UTC

Ukrainian has some masculine nouns in -o. Those seem to be names
of people (Dmytro) or places (Dnipro), but also some other nouns:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Ukrainian_hard_masculine_nouns_in_-%D0%BE

I don't think that is possible in Russian, which has generally very
similar morphology.

Where do those -o's come from, etymologically?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: Ukrainian masculines in -o?

<t1b3rl$m52$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14446&group=sci.lang#14446

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Ukrainian masculines in -o?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 13:05:07 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 00:05 UTC

On 22/03/2022 12:15 a.m., Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Ukrainian has some masculine nouns in -o. Those seem to be names
> of people (Dmytro) or places (Dnipro), but also some other nouns:
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Ukrainian_hard_masculine_nouns_in_-%D0%BE
>
> I don't think that is possible in Russian, which has generally very
> similar morphology.
>
> Where do those -o's come from, etymologically?

My remaining resources on comparative Slavic do not shed much light on
this, but:

I think Dnipro is a truncation of Dnipropetrovsk. Dnipro is the Uk name
of the river on which it is located (Russian Dnepr). For this and other
place names (which also exist in Ru, I think) it could be the neuter
adjective/noun suffix.

For the personal names, including surnames in -ko (and some other -Co's)
and -enko, a neuter suffix seems less likely. I wonder if they are
connected with vocatives, some ending in -o, which have apparently been
better preserved in Uk than in Ru?

Re: Ukrainian masculines in -o?

<slrnt3n1t1.1dks.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14450&group=sci.lang#14450

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 20:48:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 20:48 UTC

On 2022-03-22, Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>> Ukrainian has some masculine nouns in -o. Those seem to be names
>> of people (Dmytro) or places (Dnipro), but also some other nouns:
>>
>> Where do those -o's come from, etymologically?
>
> I think Dnipro is a truncation of Dnipropetrovsk. Dnipro is the Uk name
> of the river on which it is located (Russian Dnepr). For this and other
> place names (which also exist in Ru, I think) it could be the neuter
> adjective/noun suffix.

I meant the river. According to Wiktionary it is masculine.

> For the personal names, including surnames in -ko (and some other -Co's)
> and -enko, a neuter suffix seems less likely. I wonder if they are
> connected with vocatives, some ending in -o, which have apparently been
> better preserved in Uk than in Ru?

Well, the standard masculine vocative ending is -u or -e.
It's feminine vocatives that end in -o (or -e).

In addition to personal names, the first Google hit for
<ukrainian masculine "-o"> lists bat'ko (father), tato (dad), dyad'ko
(uncle), which is not exactly a random grouping.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de