From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: regarding the cameras in phones. Have they... addressed glare?
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 22:33:18 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 22:33 UTC

long time lurker here...

One reason I've kept my (aging, but still adequate) Canon, err,
something DSLR is that I can put polarizing filters on it.

Last time I closely looked into this, which by phone camera
standards was a loooooong time ago, the digital phone
cameras still couldn't deal with these types of glare
and reflection.

(My specific issue is photograhing metallic nameplates
on an outdoor memorial obelisk).

Anyone know if there were any breakthroughs?

Thanks
dannyb@panix.com

Re: regarding the cameras in phones. Have they... addressed glare?

<140920231854195457%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14521&group=rec.photo.digital#14521

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 18:54:19 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 22:54 UTC

In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.2309142230540.5510@panix3.panix.com>, danny
burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

> long time lurker here...
>
> One reason I've kept my (aging, but still adequate) Canon, err,
> something DSLR is that I can put polarizing filters on it.

and all sorts of other stuff...

> Last time I closely looked into this, which by phone camera
> standards was a loooooong time ago, the digital phone
> cameras still couldn't deal with these types of glare
> and reflection.

look at something more recent.

the lenses are usually coated, similar to slr lenses (the exact
coatings are not necessarily the same).

there are also add-on filters (including polarizers) and supplementary
lens attachments, although the latter usually are not great.

Re: regarding the cameras in phones. Have they... addressed glare?

<d5a5e815-3078-4000-90b1-58b2a2635ea3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14523&group=rec.photo.digital#14523

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 05:48:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:48 UTC

On Thursday, 14 September 2023 at 23:33:27 UTC+1, danny burstein wrote:
> long time lurker here...
>
> One reason I've kept my (aging, but still adequate) Canon, err,
> something DSLR is that I can put polarizing filters on it.

Have you tried holding your polarizing filter in front of your camera lens to try.
I planned to do that a few weeks ago to get the reflections from water/pond
reduced, but I haven;t yet managed to find my old polarizing filter(s) but when I do... :-)

It did make me wonder how or if AI could be used to simulate such a thing, but not sure how it could be done
for reducing reflections.

> Last time I closely looked into this, which by phone camera
> standards was a loooooong time ago, the digital phone
> cameras still couldn't deal with these types of glare
> and reflection.
>
> (My specific issue is photograhing metallic nameplates
> on an outdoor memorial obelisk).
>
> Anyone know if there were any breakthroughs?

A breakthrough would be me finding my old filters :-)

Re: regarding the cameras in phones. Have they... addressed glare?

<ue1n9n$4lc$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14524&group=rec.photo.digital#14524

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 13:47:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 13:47 UTC

In <d5a5e815-3078-4000-90b1-58b2a2635ea3n@googlegroups.com> Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> writes:

[snip]

>It did make me wonder how or if AI could be used to simulate such a thing,
>but not sure how it could be done
>for reducing reflections.

I can see (IswIdt) some ways in which image processing
of multiple, slightly different angle photos, could
be combined in sugh a way as to "figure out" what parts
of each image are "glare" and eliminate them. But I'm
not aware of any system available to The Great Unwashed
handles that.

Thanks

dannyb@panix.com

Re: regarding the cameras in phones. Have they... addressed glare?

<150920231023310505%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14525&group=rec.photo.digital#14525

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 10:23:31 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:23 UTC

In article <ue1n9n$4lc$1@reader2.panix.com>, danny burstein
<dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

> >It did make me wonder how or if AI could be used to simulate such a thing,
> >but not sure how it could be done
> >for reducing reflections.
>
> I can see (IswIdt) some ways in which image processing
> of multiple, slightly different angle photos, could
> be combined in sugh a way as to "figure out" what parts
> of each image are "glare" and eliminate them. But I'm
> not aware of any system available to The Great Unwashed
> handles that.

maybe not glare (yet), but ai is here.

<https://www.engadget.com/samsung-explains-its-fake-moon-photos-17023389
6.html>
Samsung is hoping to talk its way out of a controversy over its
camera processing technology. The company has shared an explanation
of the Moon photo detection system it has used since the Galaxy S21.
If you have Scene Optimizer turned on, AI detects when you're taking
a clear photo of the Moon at 25X zoom or above. The tech lowers the
brightness, captures multiple frames (to produce a bright, low-noise
picture) and uses a neural network to enhance the detail using a
high-resolution reference image for comparison.

Re: regarding the cameras in phones. Have they... addressed glare?

<CbadnY3FCtijjZj4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14528&group=rec.photo.digital#14528

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 14:17:33 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 02:17 UTC

On 16/09/2023 2:23 am, nospam wrote:
> In article <ue1n9n$4lc$1@reader2.panix.com>, danny burstein
> <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>
>>> It did make me wonder how or if AI could be used to simulate such a thing,
>>> but not sure how it could be done
>>> for reducing reflections.
>>
>> I can see (IswIdt) some ways in which image processing
>> of multiple, slightly different angle photos, could
>> be combined in sugh a way as to "figure out" what parts
>> of each image are "glare" and eliminate them. But I'm
>> not aware of any system available to The Great Unwashed
>> handles that.
>
> maybe not glare (yet), but ai is here.
>
> <https://www.engadget.com/samsung-explains-its-fake-moon-photos-17023389
> 6.html>
> Samsung is hoping to talk its way out of a controversy over its
> camera processing technology. The company has shared an explanation
> of the Moon photo detection system it has used since the Galaxy S21.
> If you have Scene Optimizer turned on, AI detects when you're taking
> a clear photo of the Moon at 25X zoom or above. The tech lowers the
> brightness, captures multiple frames (to produce a bright, low-noise
> picture) and uses a neural network to enhance the detail using a
> high-resolution reference image for comparison.

Yeah, but what about NASA ...

geoff