Staff meeting in the conference room in 3 minutes.

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: UseNet Health Check

SubjectAuthor
* UseNet Health CheckSavageduck
+- Re: UseNet Health CheckRJH
+- Re: UseNet Health CheckAlan B
+- Re: UseNet Health CheckDavid Taylor
+* Re: UseNet Health CheckAlfred Molon
|`* Re: UseNet Health Checknospam
| `- Re: UseNet Health CheckBud Spencer
+- Re: UseNet Health CheckKen Hart
+- Re: UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
`* Re: UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
 +* Re: UseNet Health Checkcroy
 |+- Re: UseNet Health CheckDavid Taylor
 |`- Re: UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
 `* Re: UseNet Health CheckFishrrman
  +- Re: UseNet Health Checkgeoff
  `* Re: UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
   `* Re: UseNet Health CheckMagani
    `* Re: UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
     `* Re: UseNet Health CheckMagani
      `* Re: UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
       `* Re: UseNet Health CheckMagani
        `* Re: UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
         `* Re: UseNet Health CheckMagani
          `* Re: UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks
           `* Re: UseNet Health CheckMagani
            `- Re: UseNet Health CheckDavid Brooks

Pages:12
Re: UseNet Health Check

<9iKNM.53061$8XGa.1866@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14538&group=rec.photo.digital#14538

Subject: Re: UseNet Health Check
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
<mn5MM.18905$i1yc.16868@fx15.iad> <udt71q$29gj4$1@dont-email.me>
<xLyMM.3188$H0Ge.2503@fx05.iad>
<a92c070d-460e-4504-b8f2-fe0f8e790210n@googlegroups.com>
<phBMM.30811$i1yc.17599@fx15.iad>
<1f133f7a-9a6a-41f3-a7c7-50d35f4f2847n@googlegroups.com>
<tpEMM.194$3lL1.173@fx47.iad>
<ff8b330a-7815-4928-97f6-3c6c44442498n@googlegroups.com>
<M23NM.19618$Yxl8.10142@fx14.iad>
<a1abe1bd-7bc1-46f1-a3da-057b6337a6e1n@googlegroups.com>
<biiNM.50907$QShe.41873@fx11.iad>
<2d6f686f-6bff-4dce-9fcc-d4439023b8dan@googlegroups.com>
From: BDB...@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 22:35:01 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 21:35 UTC

On 17/09/2023 12:43, Magani wrote:
> On Saturday, 16 September 2023 at 11:43:44 pm UTC+10, David Brooks wrote:

>>> That after-dinner speech is a real classic. I stil get a chuckle out of it.
>>>
>>> Rather than give the abreviations away straight up, here's a couple of hints.
>>> 1) They are ICAO (not IATA) codes for airports. They're the towers/centres where I've spent most of my time telling pilots where to go. :-)
>>> 2) 1st letter is the area of the world, 2nd is the FIR, sub-region within that area or country, 3rd and 4th are the actual airport.
>>> 3) In the 1st example YBBN: Y = Australia, B = Brisbane FIR, BN = Brisbane.
>>>
>>> Also, I left 2 out (YSCB and YBCG - both only temporary)
>> Thanks, Magani
>>
>> I thought that might have been the case. I've now looked and note that
>> you've enjoyed living in pretty warm locations! :-D
>>
>> Once I worked with an RAAF ATC officer who told me he'd cleared an
>> aircraft to fly VFR below 500ft from Brisbane to Sydney (example names,
>> I can't remember now)). The pilot complied.
>>
>> Later the controller discovered that it was actually a Boing 747!
>>
>> --
>> David
>
> One of the 'old and bold' ATCOs here in Brisbane once asked an F-111 for his 'best speed downwind for sequencing'. The pilot's reply: ' Do you REALLY want that?' :-)
> For the non-aviation fraternity out there, an F-111 had a top speed higher than Concorde and would have broken a stack of windows as he went through the sound barrier.

Indeed! :-D

> Re the 'warm locations', NFFN was beautiful - our house was about 50 yards from the beach. 28-ish all year round. In OOMS, when it was 45C and sticky on the coast, it was generally about mid to high 20s at 8000' up in the mountains and a lot less humidity. As for Qld, as they used to say in the ads, 'Beautiful one day, perfect the next...'. The ad writers had obviously never lived through a cyclone in Nth Qld or the hordes of mosquitoes in the Gulf Country. :-)

Thanks for chatting! :-)

FYI:-
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/southwest-father-son-pilot-childhood-photo-recreated/index.html