From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: iPhone 15 Pro Max vs Galaxy S23 Ultra camera shootout
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:04:10 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:04 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote

> The Galaxy S23 Ultra only wins two niche categories clearly: portrait
> and zoom photos. Otherwise, the iPhone 15 Pro Max wins in every area
> https://www.xda-developers.com/iphone-15-pro-max-vs-samsung-galaxy-s23-ultra-camera/

Actually, since we're supposed to be well-informed intelligent adults...

The testers don't fully test the phones because it's a fact that on the
Galaxy you can install better camera software - which they don't test.

An example is the Google GCam app is ported to Samsungs and it gives far
better output than the Samsung camera app does - and more functionality.

Ask me how I know this...
<https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/google-gcam-port-for-the-samsung-galaxy-a32-5g.4275449/#post-85665079>

Re: iPhone 15 Pro Max vs Galaxy S23 Ultra camera shootout

<ufkmkc$h60i$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14579&group=rec.photo.digital#14579

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 14:49:00 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:49 UTC

On 2023-10-04 14:04, Wally J wrote:
> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> The Galaxy S23 Ultra only wins two niche categories clearly: portrait
>> and zoom photos. Otherwise, the iPhone 15 Pro Max wins in every area
>> https://www.xda-developers.com/iphone-15-pro-max-vs-samsung-galaxy-s23-ultra-camera/
>
> Actually, since we're supposed to be well-informed intelligent adults...
>
> The testers don't fully test the phones because it's a fact that on the
> Galaxy you can install better camera software - which they don't test.

As you can install better camera software on an iPhone...

....but you fail to mention that.

> An example is the Google GCam app is ported to Samsungs and it gives far
> better output than the Samsung camera app does - and more functionality.
>
> Ask me how I know this...
> <https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/google-gcam-port-for-the-samsung-galaxy-a32-5g.4275449/#post-85665079>

'You may be surprised to learn that iPhone camera hardware supports an
extensive range of features that aren’t in the standard iOS app
including manual shutter, exposure and ISO setting and manual focusing.
On top of this, developers add software features like focus peaking,
exposure bracketing, clipping display and shooting in high-quality
formats like TIFF. And in many cases these are all available for video
shooting too. These features give you more creative control in addition
to the regular automatic shooting modes, and can help you to take better
pictures. Often inexpensive, they are a great way to unleash your inner
photographer using the iPhone you already own – see our best camera
phones list if you're in need of an upgrade.'

<https://www.creativebloq.com/buying-guides/best-ios-camera-apps>

Re: iPhone 15 Pro Max vs Galaxy S23 Ultra camera shootout

<e5d01448-b6bc-495d-bc3c-cbfed512fe44n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14581&group=rec.photo.digital#14581

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 07:26:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:26 UTC

On Wednesday, 4 October 2023 at 22:49:08 UTC+1, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-10-04 14:04, Wally J wrote:
> > badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote
> >
> >> The Galaxy S23 Ultra only wins two niche categories clearly: portrait
> >> and zoom photos. Otherwise, the iPhone 15 Pro Max wins in every area
> >> https://www.xda-developers.com/iphone-15-pro-max-vs-samsung-galaxy-s23-ultra-camera/
> >
> > Actually, since we're supposed to be well-informed intelligent adults....
> >
> > The testers don't fully test the phones because it's a fact that on the
> > Galaxy you can install better camera software - which they don't test.
> As you can install better camera software on an iPhone...
>
> ...but you fail to mention that.
> >
> > An example is the Google GCam app is ported to Samsungs and it gives far
> > better output than the Samsung camera app does - and more functionality..
> >
> > Ask me how I know this...
> > <https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/google-gcam-port-for-the-samsung-galaxy-a32-5g.4275449/#post-85665079>
> 'You may be surprised to learn that iPhone camera hardware supports an
> extensive range of features that aren’t in the standard iOS app
> including manual shutter, exposure and ISO setting and manual focusing.
> On top of this, developers add software features like focus peaking,
> exposure bracketing, clipping display and shooting in high-quality
> formats like TIFF. And in many cases these are all available for video
> shooting too. These features give you more creative control in addition
> to the regular automatic shooting modes, and can help you to take better
> pictures.

Yep you can then almost become a photographer rather than a snapper.
The thing that is still missing for me is aperature control for Depth of Field.

There are also apps so you can use a second phone to trigger the first phone,
just like a remote control you can buy for cameras.

> Often inexpensive, they are a great way to unleash your inner
> photographer using the iPhone you already own – see our best camera
> phones list if you're in need of an upgrade.'
>
> <https://www.creativebloq.com/buying-guides/best-ios-camera-apps>

Re: iPhone 15 Pro Max vs Galaxy S23 Ultra camera shootout

<uidv64$14bqv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14683&group=rec.photo.digital#14683

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 10:20:48 -0800
 by: Alan - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:20 UTC

On 2023-10-05 07:26, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 October 2023 at 22:49:08 UTC+1, Alan wrote:
>> On 2023-10-04 14:04, Wally J wrote:
>>> badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Actually, since we're supposed to be well-informed intelligent adults...
>>>
>>> The testers don't fully test the phones because it's a fact that on the
>>> Galaxy you can install better camera software - which they don't test.
>> As you can install better camera software on an iPhone...
>>
>> ...but you fail to mention that.
>>>
>>> An example is the Google GCam app is ported to Samsungs and it gives far
>>> better output than the Samsung camera app does - and more functionality.
>>>
>>> Ask me how I know this...
>>> <https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/google-gcam-port-for-the-samsung-galaxy-a32-5g.4275449/#post-85665079>
>> 'You may be surprised to learn that iPhone camera hardware supports an
>> extensive range of features that aren’t in the standard iOS app
>> including manual shutter, exposure and ISO setting and manual focusing.
>> On top of this, developers add software features like focus peaking,
>> exposure bracketing, clipping display and shooting in high-quality
>> formats like TIFF. And in many cases these are all available for video
>> shooting too. These features give you more creative control in addition
>> to the regular automatic shooting modes, and can help you to take better
>> pictures.
>
> Yep you can then almost become a photographer rather than a snapper.
> The thing that is still missing for me is aperature control for Depth of Field.
>
> There are also apps so you can use a second phone to trigger the first phone,
> just like a remote control you can buy for cameras.

Or buy one of the dozens of Bluetooth remotes...

<https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=bluetooth+camera+remote+iphone&crid=CRIL65YJAYEE&sprefix=bluetooth+camera+remote+iphon%2Caps%2C209&ref=nb_sb_noss_2>

Re: iPhone 15 Pro Max vs Galaxy S23 Ultra camera shootout

<ca1e400e-8f3f-49d3-aaad-c496a2c891ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14686&group=rec.photo.digital#14686

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 06:07:26 -0800 (PST)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 14:07 UTC

On Tuesday, 7 November 2023 at 18:20:59 UTC, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-10-05 07:26, Whisky-dave wrote:

> >> As you can install better camera software on an iPhone...
> >>
> >> ...but you fail to mention that.

> >> 'You may be surprised to learn that iPhone camera hardware supports an
> >> extensive range of features that aren’t in the standard iOS app
> >> including manual shutter, exposure and ISO setting and manual focusing..
> >> On top of this, developers add software features like focus peaking,
> >> exposure bracketing, clipping display and shooting in high-quality
> >> formats like TIFF. And in many cases these are all available for video
> >> shooting too. These features give you more creative control in addition
> >> to the regular automatic shooting modes, and can help you to take better
> >> pictures.
> >
> > Yep you can then almost become a photographer rather than a snapper.
> > The thing that is still missing for me is aperature control for Depth of Field.
> >
> > There are also apps so you can use a second phone to trigger the first phone,
> > just like a remote control you can buy for cameras.
> Or buy one of the dozens of Bluetooth remotes...
>
> <https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=bluetooth+camera+remote+iphone&crid=CRIL65YJAYEE&sprefix=bluetooth+camera+remote+iphon%2Caps%2C209&ref=nb_sb_noss_2>

Yep but why bother when you have an ipod 4 (that's not much use other than as a clock+alarm) an iPad and an iphone.
And all less likely to be hidden down the sofa or under the cat ;-)
Back in the long long ago I had a 20ft air release for my canon A1, didn't even need batteries for that.