Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -- Voltaire

tech / sci.lang / Re: Paleo-etymology

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Paleo-etymologyDaud Deden
`* Re: Paleo-etymologyPeter T. Daniels
 `* Re: Paleo-etymologyDaud Deden
  `- Re: Paleo-etymologyDaud Deden

1
Re: Paleo-etymology

<0c51ff07-e587-4df4-afb9-3e460c0f6521n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14545&group=sci.lang#14545

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:15:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Paleo-etymology
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:15 UTC

And the spread of Afrisan linguistic group backed that up.

A Conversation with Christopher Ehret

Christopher Ehret, UCLA
Interviewed by WHC Co-editor Tom Laichas

WHC: How does a small group of Semites coming in from Africa transform the language of a region in which they are a minority?

Ehret: One of the archaeological possibilities is a group called the Mushabaeans. This group moves in on another group that's Middle Eastern. Out of this, you get the Natufian people. Now, we can see in the archaeology that people were using wild grains the Middle East very early, back into the late glacial age, about 18,000 years ago. But they were just using these seeds as they were. At the same time, in this northeastern corner of Africa, another people ­ the Mushabaeans? ­ are using grindstones along the Nile, grinding the tubers of sedges. Somewhere along the way, they began to grind grain as well. Now, it's in the Mushabian period that grindstones come into the Middle East.

Conceivably, with a fuller utilization of grains, they're making bread. We can reconstruct a word for "flatbread," like Ethiopian injira. This is before proto-Semitic divided into Ethiopian and ancient Egyptian languages. So, maybe, the grindstone increases how fully you use the land

Re: Paleo-etymology

<9aa93471-7d10-4132-80f8-305d16371c52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14560&group=sci.lang#14560

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 07:39:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 14:39 UTC

On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 6:15:57 PM UTC-4, daud....@gmail.com wrote:

> And the spread of Afrisan linguistic group backed that up.

What is "Afrisan"?

Backed what up?

> A Conversation with Christopher Ehret
>
> Christopher Ehret, UCLA
> Interviewed by WHC Co-editor Tom Laichas

What is "WHC"?

> WHC: How does a small group of Semites coming in from Africa transform the language of a region in which they are a minority?

Chris Ehret is a triple threat -- linguist, anthropologist, and prehistorian.
He does not indiscriminately mingle aspects of the three sciences.

(But his proposal for biliteral roots in Semitic, the better to match
Afroasiatic, demonstrated only through Arabic, was not well received.)

> Ehret: One of the archaeological possibilities is a group called the Mushabaeans. This group moves in on another group that's Middle Eastern. Out of this, you get the Natufian people. Now, we can see in the archaeology that people were using wild grains the Middle East very early, back into the late glacial age, about 18,000 years ago. But they were just using these seeds as they were. At the same time, in this northeastern corner of Africa, another people ­ the Mushabaeans? ­ are using grindstones along the Nile, grinding the tubers of sedges. Somewhere along the way, they began to grind grain as well. Now, it's in the Mushabian period that grindstones come into the Middle East.
>
> Conceivably, with a fuller utilization of grains, they're making bread. We can reconstruct a word for "flatbread," like Ethiopian injira. This is before proto-Semitic divided into Ethiopian and ancient Egyptian languages. So, maybe, the grindstone increases how fully you use the land

Note that he is NOT talking about languages, Afroasiatic or not.
He well knows that (modern-day) Ethiopia hosts languages from
at lest five families belonging to at least two phyla.

Re: Paleo-etymology

<d6322f43-7410-4d42-a4b9-76370adbc192n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14572&group=sci.lang#14572

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:17:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 23:17 UTC

On Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 10:39:08 AM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 6:15:57 PM UTC-4, daud....@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > And the spread of Afrisan linguistic group backed that up.
> What is "Afrisan"?
>
> Backed what up?
> > A Conversation with Christopher Ehret
> >
> > Christopher Ehret, UCLA
> > Interviewed by WHC Co-editor Tom Laichas
> What is "WHC"?
> > WHC: How does a small group of Semites coming in from Africa transform the language of a region in which they are a minority?
> Chris Ehret is a triple threat -- linguist, anthropologist, and prehistorian.
> He does not indiscriminately mingle aspects of the three sciences.
>
> (But his proposal for biliteral roots in Semitic, the better to match
> Afroasiatic, demonstrated only through Arabic, was not well received.)
> > Ehret: One of the archaeological possibilities is a group called the Mushabaeans. This group moves in on another group that's Middle Eastern. Out of this, you get the Natufian people. Now, we can see in the archaeology that people were using wild grains the Middle East very early, back into the late glacial age, about 18,000 years ago. But they were just using these seeds as they were. At the same time, in this northeastern corner of Africa, another people ­ the Mushabaeans? ­ are using grindstones along the Nile, grinding the tubers of sedges. Somewhere along the way, they began to grind grain as well. Now, it's in the Mushabian period that grindstones come into the Middle East.
> >
> > Conceivably, with a fuller utilization of grains, they're making bread. We can reconstruct a word for "flatbread," like Ethiopian injira. This is before proto-Semitic divided into Ethiopian and ancient Egyptian languages. So, maybe, the grindstone increases how fully you use the land
> Note that he is NOT talking about languages, Afroasiatic or not.
> He well knows that (modern-day) Ethiopia hosts languages from
> at lest five families belonging to at least two phyla.
Sorry, just focused on injira ~ pita ru-pita na'an chapati pan patty/padi

Re: Paleo-etymology

<dea1ff49-b791-4673-a73d-d687dd51b24fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14588&group=sci.lang#14588

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:02:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 17:02 UTC

On Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 7:17:39 PM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:
> On Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 10:39:08 AM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 6:15:57 PM UTC-4, daud....@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > And the spread of Afrisan linguistic group backed that up.
> > What is "Afrisan"?
> >
> > Backed what up?
> > > A Conversation with Christopher Ehret
> > >
> > > Christopher Ehret, UCLA
> > > Interviewed by WHC Co-editor Tom Laichas
> > What is "WHC"?
> > > WHC: How does a small group of Semites coming in from Africa transform the language of a region in which they are a minority?
> > Chris Ehret is a triple threat -- linguist, anthropologist, and prehistorian.
> > He does not indiscriminately mingle aspects of the three sciences.
> >
> > (But his proposal for biliteral roots in Semitic, the better to match
> > Afroasiatic, demonstrated only through Arabic, was not well received.)
> > > Ehret: One of the archaeological possibilities is a group called the Mushabaeans. This group moves in on another group that's Middle Eastern. Out of this, you get the Natufian people. Now, we can see in the archaeology that people were using wild grains the Middle East very early, back into the late glacial age, about 18,000 years ago. But they were just using these seeds as they were. At the same time, in this northeastern corner of Africa, another people ­ the Mushabaeans? ­ are using grindstones along the Nile, grinding the tubers of sedges. Somewhere along the way, they began to grind grain as well. Now, it's in the Mushabian period that grindstones come into the Middle East.
> > >
> > > Conceivably, with a fuller utilization of grains, they're making bread. We can reconstruct a word for "flatbread," like Ethiopian injira. This is before proto-Semitic divided into Ethiopian and ancient Egyptian languages. So, maybe, the grindstone increases how fully you use the land
> > Note that he is NOT talking about languages, Afroasiatic or not.
> > He well knows that (modern-day) Ethiopia hosts languages from
> > at lest five families belonging to at least two phyla.
> Sorry, just focused on injira ~ pita ru-pita naan chapati (pancake) pizza pan patty/padi platter

Oops, I meant pita-ru (Austl).

Compare to phitti of Hunza region: Phitti is a type of leavened bread baked by Hunzakut People of Hunza, Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan. The dough thus prepared is placed in a metallic vessel called a Khimishdon in Burushaski and placed in a stone oven hearth (chiian) which is preheated with a wooden fire. (Paratha is another flatbread but fried in oil.)

Interestingly, naan @ Hindi : flatbread = na'neeskaadi @ Navajo (Dene): flatbread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3kiespHSA at 10m20s spoken & subtitled

Burushaski - Dene lang link? Bengston:
https://www.academia.edu/6157273/_Dene_Yeniseian_and_the_Rest_of_Dene_Caucasian_Part_3_The_Burusho_Yeniseian_Karasuk_Hypothesis_Part_4_Burusho_Dene?email_work_card=title