"I've seen it. It's rubbish." -- Marvin the Paranoid Android

tech / rec.photo.digital / Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggested on this newsgroup)

SubjectAuthor
* Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggested Wally J
+* Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggesBill W
|`* Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggesWally J
| `* Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggesBill W
|  `- Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggesWally J
`* Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes everyCarlos E. R.
 `* Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggesWally J
  `- Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes everyCarlos E. R.

1
Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggested on this newsgroup)

<ufs9op$2hokl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14591&group=rec.photo.digital#14591

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggested on this newsgroup)
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 14:58:33 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 18:58 UTC

I have tested every free editing app ever suggested on these newsgroups,
where my archives are shown in this screenshot I just made for others.
<https://i.postimg.cc/TYPRjJyC/editor01.jpg>

Feel free to ask for a listing as that's all I could fit on one screen.
For example, these are the freeware exif editors suggested on these ngs.
exiftool
exiv2
exiftoolgui
analogexif
exifer
exifpilot
exifmanager
metadata++
exifdatechangerlite
exiftran
xnview
jpegclub

But I've included every type of editor that has been suggested on the ngs.
For example, here are the freeware PDF/PS editors that have been suggested.
calibre
ghoststuff
msoffice2007saveaspdf_microsoft
mupdf
pdf-xchange_viewer
pdfcreator
pdfsam
pdftk
pdfxchange
posterazor
sumatra
wkhtmltox
wps_pdf2word
xpdf
AdobeAcrobatReaderDC
fileoptimizer
AdobeAcrobat6.0Standard
cutepdf
pdfshaper
psutils
foxit
(Apologies for the case issues and "dir /b" sort order.)

Here, for example, is a closeup view of just the free Linux image editors.
<https://i.postimg.cc/rmMg4qp8/free-linux-image-editors.jpg>

Note that these three hierarchies are always exactly the same, and that
they haven't (materially) changed since Windows XP days such that the
Windows XP start menu folder, copied to Windows 10, still works fine!
C:\apps\{archivers,browsers,cleaners,databases,editors,finance,etc.}
C:\menu\{archivers,browsers,cleaners,databases,editors,finance,etc.}
C:\software\{archivers,browsers,cleaners,databases,editors,finance,etc.}

Here's a screenshot but it's hard to put everything in a single image.
<https://i.postimg.cc/D0J1tgDZ/windows-tweak.jpg> A well-organized PC
--
Note: I never use plurals but I did here for readability & understanding.

Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggested on this newsgroup)

<0001HW.2AD206F2012B8B6B3068EE38F@news-us.newsgroup.ninja>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14596&group=rec.photo.digital#14596

From: noth...@nowhere.com (Bill W)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.os.linux, alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.comp.freeware, alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 16:36:50 -0500
 by: Bill W - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 21:36 UTC

On Oct 7, 2023, Wally J wrote
(in article <ufs9op$2hokl$1@dont-email.me>):

> I have tested every free editing app ever suggested on these newsgroups,
> where my archives are shown in this screenshot I just made for others.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/TYPRjJyC/editor01.jpg>
>
> Feel free to ask for a listing as that's all I could fit on one screen.
> For example, these are the freeware exif editors suggested on these ngs.
> exiftool
> exiv2
> exiftoolgui
> analogexif
> exifer
> exifpilot
> exifmanager
> metadata++
> exifdatechangerlite
> exiftran
> xnview
> jpegclub
>
> But I've included every type of editor that has been suggested on the ngs.
> For example, here are the freeware PDF/PS editors that have been suggested.
> calibre
> ghoststuff
> msoffice2007saveaspdf_microsoft
> mupdf
> pdf-xchange_viewer
> pdfcreator
> pdfsam
> pdftk
> pdfxchange
> posterazor
> sumatra
> wkhtmltox
> wps_pdf2word
> xpdf
> AdobeAcrobatReaderDC
> fileoptimizer
> AdobeAcrobat6.0Standard
> cutepdf
> pdfshaper
> psutils
> foxit
> (Apologies for the case issues and "dir /b" sort order.)
>
> Here, for example, is a closeup view of just the free Linux image editors.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/rmMg4qp8/free-linux-image-editors.jpg>
>
> Note that these three hierarchies are always exactly the same, and that
> they haven't (materially) changed since Windows XP days such that the
> Windows XP start menu folder, copied to Windows 10, still works fine!
> C:\apps\{archivers,browsers,cleaners,databases,editors,finance,etc.}
> C:\menu\{archivers,browsers,cleaners,databases,editors,finance,etc.}
> C:\software\{archivers,browsers,cleaners,databases,editors,finance,etc.}
>
> Here's a screenshot but it's hard to put everything in a single image.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/D0J1tgDZ/windows-tweak.jpg> A well-organized PC

You are obsessive and nutty enough to make me think you are Arlen, but I
don’t know. There are plenty of netkooks still out there, so you could be
anyone.

My issue with this thread is that you keep mentioning “depending on your
needs”. I don’t *need* a single cameral, lens, or software that I have. I
don’t *need* any of my computers, Mac or PC. I buy them because I want
them, that’s all. I can afford them, I’m not a bust out, and I don’t
have need to test “every piece of free software” out there to save a
couple bucks. To most of us, time has some value, so saving a few dollars by
spending countless hours “testing” free stuff has very negative
expectation.

You are nuts. I wouldn’t care at all but you seem to think it’s helpful
to bash people who buy anything made by Apple. Why? They make good stuff, and
it’s right for some people. No, they don’t make super-cheap beginner
stuff with shit components, so you are forced to pay a bit more for the good
stuff. Good stuff that is priced about the same as similarly spec’d Windows
gear. So what’s the problem? Do you object to options?

Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggested on this newsgroup)

<koe2jhF92sqU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14597&group=rec.photo.digital#14597

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every
editor suggested on this newsgroup)
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 23:58:09 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 21:58 UTC

On 2023-10-07 20:58, Wally J wrote:
> I have tested every free editing app ever suggested on these newsgroups,
> where my archives are shown in this screenshot I just made for others.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/TYPRjJyC/editor01.jpg>

Why do you post a list of "the best free editors on Windows" to
alt.os.linux? What is in it for us?

Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggested on this newsgroup)

<uft19u$2qap0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14598&group=rec.photo.digital#14598

Followup: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 21:40:14 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 01:40 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

> On 2023-10-07 20:58, Wally J wrote:
>> I have tested every free editing app ever suggested on these newsgroups,
>> where my archives are shown in this screenshot I just made for others.
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/TYPRjJyC/editor01.jpg>
>
> Why do you post a list of "the best free editors on Windows" to
> alt.os.linux? What is in it for us?

Hi Carlos,

Good question... maybe you didn't see the linux section at the far right?
(linux group removed in the f'up array)

While my decades-long 'nix roots show in my choice of text editors (i.e.,
vim), here's a closeup of what you missed, Carlos - where I admit - the
linux section was just one of many other sections in that larger graphic.
<https://i.postimg.cc/rmMg4qp8/free-linux-image-editors.jpg>

The free linux image editors shown in all the graphics are the following.
darktable
digikam
drawpile
f-shot
fotoxx
gimp
gnomepaint
gthumb
gthumbviewer
gtkrawgallery
inkscape
karbonvectorviewer
kolourpaint
krita
lightzone
manchstudios
mtpaint
mypaint
photivo
rawtherapee
shotwell
showfoto
shutter
tuxpaint

There is always value in a comprehensive list of good photo editors.
If you know of other Linux free image editors of import, let me know.

Still... _most_ of this is Windows - so the followup will remove linux.
<https://i.postimg.cc/HLfTjC63/picture-editors.jpg> image editors
--
I've tested every free editor ever suggested on the freeware newsgroups
(to my knowledge) but lately the tested suite has plateaued over time.

Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggested on this newsgroup)

<uft3l9$2rqqj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14599&group=rec.photo.digital#14599

Followup: rec.photo.digital, alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.comp.freeware, alt.comp.microsoft.windows
From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 22:20:25 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 02:20 UTC

Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com> wrote

> Do you object to options?

Hi BillW,

Bear in mind that I spent thousands of hours researching and installing and
testing each and every one of those freeware programs that I listed prior.

How much time did you spend complaining that you can't provide any value?

I offered the user something of value. What are you offering us?
I am well aware of your thoroughly unprepossessing lack of helpful intent.

Suffice to say I provided the reader with "hundreds of editing options".
All free. All installed and tested by me.

No adware.
No trialware.
No obnoxiousware.

No shills.
All value.

In summary, I have tested _every_ free editor ever suggested on these
newsgroups (to my knowledge - where I may have missed a small amount).

Any tool I've tested, and I've tested every one suggested on all the
newsgroups, including the Android newsgroups which isn't the topic here,
gets only one strike - and it's out... so you know if it makes my list,
it's not adware, trialware or obnoxiousware.

It's a valid free useful tool.
They're not shills. Or shills under the guise of reviews.

Every tool has been discussed on these newsgroups over the years.
Every single one.

I _listed_ those free editors out of my own software archives, so you know
they are not simply taken off some shill on the Internet selling product.

The _types_ of editors I listed varied (from image editors for Linux to
all sorts of editors for Windows but it's mostly Windows editors).

Here are the _types_ of free editors that I listed, at the highest level:
android
audio
calendar
codec
convert
epub
hex
icon
passwd
pic
pspdf
screenrec
snapshot
suite
txt
3d
vid
exif
watermark
download
assembler
xml

As an example, here are the free 3D editors suggested on this ng.
blender <=== my favorite
draftsight
freecadweb
fusion360
inkscape
sketchup
madview
onshape
sweethome3d
amabilis
leocad
progecad

As another example, here are the suggested & tested screen recorders.
apowerrec
aviscreenclassic
bsr
camstudio
captura
chrispc
cutescreenrec <=== my favorite
debut
dvdvideosoft
em
ezvid
fdr
flashback
freecam
gamedvr
gilisoft
goplay
hypercam
icecream
ispring
jing
obsstudio <=== my second favorite
screencastomatic
sharex
streamobs
tinytake
uscreencapture
vclip
wink
wisdom

And even the free conversion tools which have been previously suggested.
avidemux
avisynth
handbrake <=== my favorite
oxelon
super <=== my (old, but deprecated) favorite
totallyfreeconverter
virtualdub
ffmpeg
avconv
minitool

Not all the "editors" are image or video editors though, as the genre
is sweeping in that there are plenty of file formats to edit & convert.

Recently I tested all the epub tools that I could find that were suggested.
calibre <=== my favorite
hamster
lucidor
okular
pdflite
stdu

I had tested all the icon editors - but really - Irfanview works fine.
foldermarker
icofx
iconexplorer
resourcehacker
quickany2ico
jsware_iconextr
greenfish

I had installed and tested all the codec explorers and codec suppliers too.
avicodec
codecinstaller
cole2k
gspot <=== my favorite inspector
klite <=== my favorite codecs
mediainfo
TechSmithScreenScaptureCodec_for_Camtasia
videoInspector

I pretty much use acrobat writer payware most of the time, but here are
some of the freeware pdf editors and manipulators I use (e.g., to remove
permissions and to perform editing tasks on the PDF).
ghoststuff
msoffice2007saveaspdf_microsoft
mupdf
pdf-xchange_viewer
pdfcreator
pdfsam
pdftk
pdfxchange
posterazor
sumatra
wkhtmltox
wps_pdf2word
xpdf
AdobeAcrobatReaderDC <=== my favorite is the Acrobat payware
fileoptimizer
cutepdf
pdfshaper
psutils
foxit

There are also free APK editors I've recently begun to test.
APK Editor Studio
APKTool
clonemyapp
Where you can edit an Android APK and change whatever you can.

And long ago I tested all the free assemblers prior suggested.
a86
asm
chasm
dasm
fasm
hla
masm
nasm <=== my favorite
rosams
tasm
wasm
yasm

And, of course, I've tested all these freeware image & photo editors.
artweaver
faststone
fotor
fotosketcher
ghostscript
gimp
imagemagick
inkscape
irfanview
jsware_crop
krita
morph
paint.net
paintstar
photodemon
photopad
pinta
vicman_last_good_version
xnview
psp_shareware
photome
freehandpaint

As for your loud complaints that you don't like it when I add such value...

What I'm doing here is simply providing a value that nobody has ever done
before, which, in this case, is listing all the freeware tested solutions
that have been suggested on this newsgroup (that I have known about).

I am adding value. Thousands upon thousands of hours of hard-earned value.
You are not.

Why not?
Because you can't.
Because you won't.

You are a despicable person, BillW... devoid of any value whatsoever.

Every post from you, BillW, _subtracts value_ from the thread.
That's classic for all the uneducated low-IQ ignorant iKooks like you.

All you can do, BillW, is complain that other people are adding value
and that you aren't capable of adding any value. Ever. So be it.

You're classic Apple iKook.
a. All the iKooks have a low IQ
b. All the iKooks are uneducated
c. All the iKooks are ignorant of all things (they don't read)

What the iKooks are, are influenced by every marketing trick in the book.
Which is why iKooks always claim that their payware is the best.

Good for them.
Apple is doing just fine because of them.
--
The main reason Apple is so profitable is their customer base is tuned
to buy based on falling for every iMarketing trick in the MBA playbook.

You can't make those ungodly profits off of an intelligent customer base.

Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggested on this newsgroup)

<0001HW.2AD25157013CFB593068EE38F@news-us.newsgroup.ninja>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14600&group=rec.photo.digital#14600

From: noth...@nowhere.com (Bill W)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.comp.freeware, alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 21:54:15 -0500
 by: Bill W - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 02:54 UTC

On Oct 7, 2023, Arlen wrote:
(in article <uft3l9$2rqqj$1@dont-email.me>):

> unprepossessing

Nice word. I did strip out all the context. I did you a favor.

Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggested on this newsgroup)

<uft9a0$2t188$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14601&group=rec.photo.digital#14601

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 23:56:48 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 03:56 UTC

Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com> wrote

> Nice word. I did strip out all the context. I did you a favor.

Classic child-like iKook response from you - who can't add value.
Every post from you, BillW, _subtracts_ value from any thread.

So be it.

The problem with _all_ the iKooks, by the way, is _NOT_ that they're
a. ignorant
b. uneducated
c. low IQ

No. That's not the problem because _lots_ of people are stupid.

The problem with the iKooks was exhibited perfectly by BillW.
a. They own a religious belief system
b. Which is based not on facts - but on advertisements
c. Such that they fall for every marketing trick in the book

Even that wouldn't be so bad if the iKooks didn't try to deny all facts
about Apple (and in this case, Adobe) product, without using facts to do
it.

They simply say, as the iKook Alan Browne said, that if you're not paying
through the nose for it, it can't possibly have any value to anyone.

That is the classic iKook thought process, which BillW exhibited also.

In summary, there are some great freeware editors out there, where my
favorites for the Windows world (since Linux has been removed) are...

Video editing <=== ShotCut (the tutorials are simply fantastic too!)
Image viewing & manipulation <=== Irfanview (everyone knows this)
Screenshot editing <=== Paint.NET (I hate .NET but Pinta isn't ready yet)
Audio editing <=== Audacity (everyone knows this too)
Converting formats <=== Handbrake (unless it's epub & then it's Calibre)
Codecs <=== Klite seems to have a good selection of codecs
Screen recording <=== cutescreenrec and obsstudio won in my tests
etc.

BTW, I'm testing APK editors and cloning tools as we speak so if you know
of a good Windows-based Android APK editor (to change app functionality),
please let me know as it helps to control the phone like we do the PC.
APK Editor <=== https://qwertycube.com/apk-editor-studio/
APK Tool <=== https://apktool.org/docs/install/
CloneMyApp <=== https://clonemy.app/ (web based so it probably sucks)
etc.
--
I'm on Usenet to help people do what I can do; and to learn from them too.

Re: Collection of the best free editors on Windows (Includes every editor suggested on this newsgroup)

<kofj18Fo0asU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14605&group=rec.photo.digital#14605

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.os.linux
editor suggested on this newsgroup)
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 13:44:40 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 11:44 UTC

On 2023-10-08 03:40, Wally J wrote:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote
>
>> On 2023-10-07 20:58, Wally J wrote:
>>> I have tested every free editing app ever suggested on these newsgroups,
>>> where my archives are shown in this screenshot I just made for others.
>>> <https://i.postimg.cc/TYPRjJyC/editor01.jpg>
>>
>> Why do you post a list of "the best free editors on Windows" to
>> alt.os.linux? What is in it for us?
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Good question... maybe you didn't see the linux section at the far right?
> (linux group removed in the f'up array)

No, I look at the subject line before deciding to examine a long post or
not.

> While my decades-long 'nix roots show in my choice of text editors (i.e.,
> vim), here's a closeup of what you missed, Carlos - where I admit - the
> linux section was just one of many other sections in that larger graphic.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/rmMg4qp8/free-linux-image-editors.jpg>
>
> The free linux image editors shown in all the graphics are the following.
> darktable
> digikam
> drawpile

Those are photo editors, not "editors". I would expect vi, emacs, libre
office... and others I do not know about.

The subject line is very important on the first post of a thread. That
the thread later wanders off is normal, but in the first post I expect a
matching subject line.

Cheers,
Carlos E.R.