But maybe we don't really need that... -- Larry Wall in <199709011851.LAA07101@wall.org>

tech / alt.engineering.electrical / Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?

SubjectAuthor
* Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?LON484
`* Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?gfretwell
 +* Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?Dimitris Tzortzakakis
 |`- Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?gfretwell
 +* Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?Buffalo
 |`* Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?gfretwell
 | `* Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?Buffalo
 |  `- Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?gfretwell
 `- Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?Mike Larson

1
Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?

<16ddd48805dcf243$20$293204$4226dab3@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=146&group=alt.engineering.electrical#146

Followup: alt.engineering.electrical
Subject: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?
From: 0f850390...@example.com (LON484)
Sender: LON484 <0f8503901d844703eea1acecb7a4938a_2858@example.com>
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:18:39 +0000
 by: LON484 - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:18 UTC

I just had a new circuit installed for a dryer. I was told it was 240 volt but
I'm having doubts. Would I be able to tell from the panel? The following is an
excerpt from my building's electrical specifications. The building has 10-20
apartments:

"From a service end box, electrical feeders connect to a service switch which
provides power to the building’s residential systems. The service switch
is a three-phase, four-wire 208/120 volt switch rated for 600 amperes. The
service switch conducts power to the residential electrical meter bank. Each
residential unit is provided with a dedicated feeder Each dedicated feeder
then conducts power at one-phase, three-wire 208/120 volt to local
distribution panelboards located in each residential unit."

Sounds to me like I can only get 208 volts, but if power to my unit is only
provided at one phase, I'm confused as to why it would be 208 volts, which I
thought was a voltage between phases.

Is it even possible for me to have a 240-volt circuit in my unit based on the
above description?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/electrical/do-i-have-208-or-240-volts-in-my-apartment-75201-.htm

Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?

<171c3hlcv1e5ksr6j0sh0ie1vqfqnvsech@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=147&group=alt.engineering.electrical#147

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Subject: Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:34:16 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:34 UTC

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:18:39 +0000, LON484
<0f8503901d844703eea1acecb7a4938a_2858@example.com> wrote:

>I just had a new circuit installed for a dryer. I was told it was 240 volt but
>I'm having doubts. Would I be able to tell from the panel? The following is an
>excerpt from my building's electrical specifications. The building has 10-20
>apartments:
>
>"From a service end box, electrical feeders connect to a service switch which
>provides power to the building’s residential systems. The service switch
>is a three-phase, four-wire 208/120 volt switch rated for 600 amperes. The
>service switch conducts power to the residential electrical meter bank. Each
>residential unit is provided with a dedicated feeder Each dedicated feeder
>then conducts power at one-phase, three-wire 208/120 volt to local
>distribution panelboards located in each residential unit."
>
>Sounds to me like I can only get 208 volts, but if power to my unit is only
>provided at one phase, I'm confused as to why it would be 208 volts, which I
>thought was a voltage between phases.
>
>Is it even possible for me to have a 240-volt circuit in my unit based on the
>above description?

It sounds like you have single phase 120/208 derived from 3 phase wye.
It is not uncommon in multifamily. The only way you would get 240 is
if the building was wired 3p center grounded delta and that would be
rare in your situation. Your dryer should work, that answer is in the
electrical requirements in the installation manual but it will dry
slower.

Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?

<t1v36g$bt8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=148&group=alt.engineering.electrical#148

From: noo...@nospam.com (Dimitris Tzortzakakis)
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 16:56:28 +0300
 by: Dimitris Tzortzakaki - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 13:56 UTC

Στις 19/3/2022 6:34 μ.μ., ο/η gfretwell@aol.com έγραψε:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:18:39 +0000, LON484
> <0f8503901d844703eea1acecb7a4938a_2858@example.com> wrote:
>
>> I just had a new circuit installed for a dryer. I was told it was 240 volt but
>> I'm having doubts. Would I be able to tell from the panel? The following is an
>> excerpt from my building's electrical specifications. The building has 10-20
>> apartments:
>>
>> "From a service end box, electrical feeders connect to a service switch which
>> provides power to the building’s residential systems. The service switch
>> is a three-phase, four-wire 208/120 volt switch rated for 600 amperes. The
>> service switch conducts power to the residential electrical meter bank. Each
>> residential unit is provided with a dedicated feeder Each dedicated feeder
>> then conducts power at one-phase, three-wire 208/120 volt to local
>> distribution panelboards located in each residential unit."
>>
>> Sounds to me like I can only get 208 volts, but if power to my unit is only
>> provided at one phase, I'm confused as to why it would be 208 volts, which I
>> thought was a voltage between phases.
>>
>> Is it even possible for me to have a 240-volt circuit in my unit based on the
>> above description?
>
> It sounds like you have single phase 120/208 derived from 3 phase wye.
> It is not uncommon in multifamily. The only way you would get 240 is
> if the building was wired 3p center grounded delta and that would be
> rare in your situation. Your dryer should work, that answer is in the
> electrical requirements in the installation manual but it will dry
> slower.
So in the US sometimes you have low voltage wired in wye and sometimes
in delta? because here it's always wired in wye with center grounded,
230/400 volt. Usual service is 35 A, 230 Volt. Sometimes bigger houses
are 3 phase 400 volt but usually have no 3 phase load, just 1 phase
loads distributed across 3 phases. Usually 3X 35 A, 400 Volts. Usual 3
phase loads in industry are of course induction motors and heating
elements etc. but it's still 400 Volts (not 660 it's very unusual).

Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?

<t1vqtc$gs6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=149&group=alt.engineering.electrical#149

From: pho...@physco.invalid.net (Buffalo)
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 14:41:13 -0600
 by: Buffalo - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 20:41 UTC

wrote in message news:171c3hlcv1e5ksr6j0sh0ie1vqfqnvsech@4ax.com...

>On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:18:39 +0000, LON484
><0f8503901d844703eea1acecb7a4938a_2858@example.com> wrote:
>
>>I just had a new circuit installed for a dryer. I was told it was 240 volt
>>but
>>I'm having doubts. Would I be able to tell from the panel? The following
>>is an
>>excerpt from my building's electrical specifications. The building has
>>10-20
>>apartments:
>>
>>"From a service end box, electrical feeders connect to a service switch
>>which
>>provides power to the building’s residential systems. The service
>>switch
>>is a three-phase, four-wire 208/120 volt switch rated for 600 amperes. The
>>service switch conducts power to the residential electrical meter bank.
>>Each
>>residential unit is provided with a dedicated feeder Each dedicated feeder
>>then conducts power at one-phase, three-wire 208/120 volt to local
>>distribution panelboards located in each residential unit."
>>
>>Sounds to me like I can only get 208 volts, but if power to my unit is
>>only
>>provided at one phase, I'm confused as to why it would be 208 volts, which
>>thought was a voltage between phases.
>>
>>Is it even possible for me to have a 240-volt circuit in my unit based on
>>the
>>above description?
>
>It sounds like you have single phase 120/208 derived from 3 phase wye.
>It is not uncommon in multifamily. The only way you would get 240 is
>if the building was wired 3p center grounded delta and that would be
>rare in your situation. Your dryer should work, that answer is in the
>electrical requirements in the installation manual but it will dry
>slower.

I really doubt the drying time will be noticeably slower, if at all.

--
Buffalo

Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?

<c6n74hh97ia87ssa4glufu4mnjpmf5g57f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=150&group=alt.engineering.electrical#150

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 00:45:57 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 04:45 UTC

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 16:56:28 +0300, Dimitris Tzortzakakis
<noone@nospam.com> wrote:

>???? 19/3/2022 6:34 ?.?., ?/? gfretwell@aol.com ??????:
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:18:39 +0000, LON484
>> <0f8503901d844703eea1acecb7a4938a_2858@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just had a new circuit installed for a dryer. I was told it was 240 volt but
>>> I'm having doubts. Would I be able to tell from the panel? The following is an
>>> excerpt from my building's electrical specifications. The building has 10-20
>>> apartments:
>>>
>>> "From a service end box, electrical feeders connect to a service switch which
>>> provides power to the building’s residential systems. The service switch
>>> is a three-phase, four-wire 208/120 volt switch rated for 600 amperes. The
>>> service switch conducts power to the residential electrical meter bank. Each
>>> residential unit is provided with a dedicated feeder Each dedicated feeder
>>> then conducts power at one-phase, three-wire 208/120 volt to local
>>> distribution panelboards located in each residential unit."
>>>
>>> Sounds to me like I can only get 208 volts, but if power to my unit is only
>>> provided at one phase, I'm confused as to why it would be 208 volts, which I
>>> thought was a voltage between phases.
>>>
>>> Is it even possible for me to have a 240-volt circuit in my unit based on the
>>> above description?
>>
>> It sounds like you have single phase 120/208 derived from 3 phase wye.
>> It is not uncommon in multifamily. The only way you would get 240 is
>> if the building was wired 3p center grounded delta and that would be
>> rare in your situation. Your dryer should work, that answer is in the
>> electrical requirements in the installation manual but it will dry
>> slower.
>So in the US sometimes you have low voltage wired in wye and sometimes
>in delta? because here it's always wired in wye with center grounded,
>230/400 volt. Usual service is 35 A, 230 Volt. Sometimes bigger houses
>are 3 phase 400 volt but usually have no 3 phase load, just 1 phase
>loads distributed across 3 phases. Usually 3X 35 A, 400 Volts. Usual 3
>phase loads in industry are of course induction motors and heating
>elements etc. but it's still 400 Volts (not 660 it's very unusual).

Typically they want the ability to derive 120v single phase on a
general use service so you can end up with 240, center tapped delta
that will give you the full 240v across the line to line loads and on
one winding you get 120/240 center tapped like the normal single phase
service. In fact that is exactly what it is. They use a large single
phase transformer for the 120v loads and add a second one for the 3d
phase. It lets them provide 3p with two transformers but you usually
see that in a light industrial application where they need some 3
phase along with a normal 120/240 service. It is known as "Delta Vee"
or Red Leg Delta because that 3d phase is 208 above ground. You also
need to derate the current because of the missing leg and you should
not really use line to neutral loads on the 208v leg. It is for pure 3
phase loads like motors.
https://gfretwell.com/electrical/red%20leg%20transformers.jpg

The other common service is 3 phase wye with 208 between phases and
120v line to neutral on all three. That is better when you are using a
lot of 120v and willing to compromise on the 208 line to line. It does
require 3 transformers tho.
https://gfretwell.com/electrical/3%20p%20wye-wye.jpg

Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?

<f4o74hdksp6c2v93i8qc0n68r1lj37u57l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=151&group=alt.engineering.electrical#151

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 00:54:05 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 04:54 UTC

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 14:41:13 -0600, "Buffalo"
<phoney@physco.invalid.net> wrote:

>wrote in message news:171c3hlcv1e5ksr6j0sh0ie1vqfqnvsech@4ax.com...
>>
>>On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:18:39 +0000, LON484
>><0f8503901d844703eea1acecb7a4938a_2858@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I just had a new circuit installed for a dryer. I was told it was 240 volt
>>>but
>>>I'm having doubts. Would I be able to tell from the panel? The following
>>>is an
>>>excerpt from my building's electrical specifications. The building has
>>>10-20
>>>apartments:
>>>
>>>"From a service end box, electrical feeders connect to a service switch
>>>which
>>>provides power to the building’s residential systems. The service
>>>switch
>>>is a three-phase, four-wire 208/120 volt switch rated for 600 amperes. The
>>>service switch conducts power to the residential electrical meter bank.
>>>Each
>>>residential unit is provided with a dedicated feeder Each dedicated feeder
>>>then conducts power at one-phase, three-wire 208/120 volt to local
>>>distribution panelboards located in each residential unit."
>>>
>>>Sounds to me like I can only get 208 volts, but if power to my unit is
>>>only
>>>provided at one phase, I'm confused as to why it would be 208 volts, which
>>>thought was a voltage between phases.
>>>
>>>Is it even possible for me to have a 240-volt circuit in my unit based on
>>>the
>>>above description?
>>
>>It sounds like you have single phase 120/208 derived from 3 phase wye.
>>It is not uncommon in multifamily. The only way you would get 240 is
>>if the building was wired 3p center grounded delta and that would be
>>rare in your situation. Your dryer should work, that answer is in the
>>electrical requirements in the installation manual but it will dry
>>slower.
>
>I really doubt the drying time will be noticeably slower, if at all.

The power (watts/BTU) decreases as the square of voltage. That 32
volts will be missed on a toaster wire heater like a dryer. (Like
about 75% of the rated output).
The motor and controls generally run line to neutral so it will still
be 120v for them.

Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?

<t251mm$pq0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=152&group=alt.engineering.electrical#152

From: pho...@physco.invalid.net (Buffalo)
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 14:07:47 -0600
 by: Buffalo - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 20:07 UTC

wrote in message news:f4o74hdksp6c2v93i8qc0n68r1lj37u57l@4ax.com...

>On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 14:41:13 -0600, "Buffalo"
><phoney@physco.invalid.net> wrote:
>
>>wrote in message news:171c3hlcv1e5ksr6j0sh0ie1vqfqnvsech@4ax.com...

>>>It sounds like you have single phase 120/208 derived from 3 phase wye.
>>>It is not uncommon in multifamily. The only way you would get 240 is
>>>if the building was wired 3p center grounded delta and that would be
>>>rare in your situation. Your dryer should work, that answer is in the
>>>electrical requirements in the installation manual but it will dry
>>>slower.
>>
>>I really doubt the drying time will be noticeably slower, if at all.
>
>The power (watts/BTU) decreases as the square of voltage. That 32
>volts will be missed on a toaster wire heater like a dryer. (Like
>about 75% of the rated output).
>The motor and controls generally run line to neutral so it will still
>be 120v for them.
The temp of the dryer air is regulated to not get too high.
Yes, 240v wll get the elements hotter, quicker, but then they will most
likely get cycled off to keep from getting the air too hot.
I am talking about drying time, not heating element temp.
Don't forget to keep the dryer exhaust venting pipes clean.
--
Buffalo

Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?

<bc4d4htjporeaflg4c3a328u1cef04kv24@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=153&group=alt.engineering.electrical#153

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 01:48:42 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 05:48 UTC

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 14:07:47 -0600, "Buffalo"
<phoney@physco.invalid.net> wrote:

>wrote in message news:f4o74hdksp6c2v93i8qc0n68r1lj37u57l@4ax.com...
>>
>>On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 14:41:13 -0600, "Buffalo"
>><phoney@physco.invalid.net> wrote:

>>>I really doubt the drying time will be noticeably slower, if at all.
>>
>>The power (watts/BTU) decreases as the square of voltage. That 32
>>volts will be missed on a toaster wire heater like a dryer. (Like
>>about 75% of the rated output).
>>The motor and controls generally run line to neutral so it will still
>>be 120v for them.
>The temp of the dryer air is regulated to not get too high.
>Yes, 240v wll get the elements hotter, quicker, but then they will most
>likely get cycled off to keep from getting the air too hot.
>I am talking about drying time, not heating element temp.
>Don't forget to keep the dryer exhaust venting pipes clean.

Excellent point.
I suppose it would only be important when they were running flat out,
like a big load of towels.
You are right. Most folks might not notice.

Re: Do I have 208 or 240 volts in my apartment?

<1701d1e1670fc3f7$2922$971582$4046de13@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=159&group=alt.engineering.electrical#159

From: f74279f7...@example.com (Mike Larson)
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 22:15:03 +0000
 by: Mike Larson - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 22:15 UTC

yeah you are right

--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/electrical/do-i-have-208-or-240-volts-in-my-apartment-75204-.htm