From: JFM...@overthere.com (Jean F. Martinelle)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Names in Eastern Asian languages
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 14:46:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jean F. Martinelle - Tue, 3 May 2022 14:46 UTC

I know very little about Eastern Asian languages, hence my
question.

In the languages I am familiar with - an admittedly small set -
one can usually tell whether a given name is a name typically given to a
male and a female. There are exceptions, and names are becoming more
flexible in that sense, but the pattern still remains.

Is that true of names in Eastern Asian languages as well? I know
I don't have a feeling for it at all, but that's because of my relative
lack of familiarity with such languages. What it is like for speakers of
those languages?

Actually, more in general, are there any families of languages
where given names are not assigned a specific gender, to the point that
it would be impossible - even for native speakers - to tell whether an
individual is male or female, just based on their given name?

Re: Names in Eastern Asian languages

<t4rv71$1ib$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14606&group=sci.lang#14606

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Names in Eastern Asian languages
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 13:18:54 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Tue, 3 May 2022 19:18 UTC

On 5/3/2022 8:46 AM, Jean F. Martinelle wrote:
> I know very little about Eastern Asian languages, hence my
> question.
>
> In the languages I am familiar with - an admittedly small set -
> one can usually tell whether a given name is a name typically given to a
> male and a female. There are exceptions, and names are becoming more
> flexible in that sense, but the pattern still remains.
>
> Is that true of names in Eastern Asian languages as well? I know
> I don't have a feeling for it at all, but that's because of my relative
> lack of familiarity with such languages. What it is like for speakers of
> those languages?
>
> Actually, more in general, are there any families of languages
> where given names are not assigned a specific gender, to the point that
> it would be impossible - even for native speakers - to tell whether an
> individual is male or female, just based on their given name?

Reply from a non linguist: There are several languages where the
following sort of utterance is typical "I have 3 children plus a
daughter." I wonder whether the answer to your question in re to such
languages might be (statistically) different than normal?
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Names in Eastern Asian languages

<ab2fb83e-86f4-43ef-96ab-f9be78609d51n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14608&group=sci.lang#14608

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 21:04:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: ranjit_m...@yahoo.com (Dingbat)
 by: Dingbat - Wed, 4 May 2022 04:04 UTC

On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 7:46:39 AM UTC-7, Jean F. Martinelle wrote:
> I know very little about Eastern Asian languages, hence my
> question.
>
> In the languages I am familiar with - an admittedly small set -
> one can usually tell whether a given name is a name typically given to a
> male and a female. There are exceptions, and names are becoming more
> flexible in that sense, but the pattern still remains.
>
> Is that true of names in Eastern Asian languages as well? I know
> I don't have a feeling for it at all, but that's because of my relative
> lack of familiarity with such languages. What it is like for speakers of
> those languages?
>
> Actually, more in general, are there any families of languages
> where given names are not assigned a specific gender, to the point that
> it would be impossible - even for native speakers - to tell whether an
> individual is male or female, just based on their given name?

Sikhs have genderless given names. The person's gender is identified as
male or female by the addition of Pal or Kaur.

Re: Names in Eastern Asian languages

<8ekvuqzme1rk$.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=14627&group=sci.lang#14627

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 12:38:23 -0400
 by: Quinn C - Sun, 15 May 2022 16:38 UTC

* Jean F. Martinelle:

> I know very little about Eastern Asian languages, hence my
> question.
>
> In the languages I am familiar with - an admittedly small set -
> one can usually tell whether a given name is a name typically given to a
> male and a female. There are exceptions, and names are becoming more
> flexible in that sense, but the pattern still remains.
>
> Is that true of names in Eastern Asian languages as well? I know
> I don't have a feeling for it at all, but that's because of my relative
> lack of familiarity with such languages. What it is like for speakers of
> those languages?
>
> Actually, more in general, are there any families of languages
> where given names are not assigned a specific gender, to the point that
> it would be impossible - even for native speakers - to tell whether an
> individual is male or female, just based on their given name?

In Japanese, many names are gendered, but some aren't, and for a number
of them, you can't tell from just the pronunciation, but you might when
you see them written.

I believe this is similar in other languages of the area, like Chinese
and Korean.

The idea of a name being lucky or unlucky is widespread, so people may
consult a fortune teller before naming your child. One Korean I met told
me how when she was 6 or 7 years old, a seer saw her on the street and
was distressed. He then called on the parents and told them that their
daughter was in danger, and must be given a male name for protection, so
she changed to her current, normally male name.

--
Be afraid of the lame - They'll inherit your legs
Be afraid of the old - They'll inherit your souls