From: tristan....@ofai.at (Tristan Miller)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,comp.ai.nat-lang
Subject: Student contest: 2022 Babel Young Writers' Competition
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 19:28:49 +0200
 by: Tristan Miller - Tue, 24 May 2022 17:28 UTC

Dear all,

Below is a call for submissions to our annual contest for student
writers. (Cross-posted to comp.ai.nat-lang as contributions from
undergraduate students of computational linguistics are most welcome.)

Sincerely, Tristan Miller
Babel Advisory Panel

----------------------

This year, Babel: The Language Magazine <https://babelzine.co.uk/> will
be running the ninth edition of our Young Writers' Competition, which
encourages young linguists who are starting out on their study of language.

The competition is open to all linguistics students in further and
higher education (i.e., at sixth-form, college or university). If you
are a keen Babel reader and language lover, get writing to be in with a
chance of getting yourself published -- as well as a year's subscription
to Babel!

Keep an eye on @Babelzine on Twitter for inspiration from previous
winners on topics ranging from sign language to spoonerisms, and from
language birth to language death.

The winners will be announced in October 2022. Good luck!

Individual and group prizes
---------------------------

We will publish two winners in our November 2022 issue -- one by an
individual young linguist, and one by a group of young writers. This
option to submit as a team recognises the importance of group study in
linguistics.

Guidelines
----------

Deadline: Wednesday 31 August 2022

Length: Entries must be no more than 2,500 words.

Topic: Entries can be about any topic to do with languages and
linguistics -- the important thing is that the article is accessible and
interesting for Babel readers.

Format: Entries should be clearly presented in a Word file, with images
submitted as separate JPEGs.

Submission: Entries should be emailed to
babelthelanguagemagazine@gmail.com with the title "Young Writer's
Competition".

--
Dr.-Ing. Tristan Miller, Research Scientist
Austrian Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence (OFAI)

tech / sci.lang / Student contest: 2022 Babel Young Writers' Competition