From: casagian...@optimum.net
Newsgroups: sci.math
Subject: Julia and Mandelbrot
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 15:56:33 -0400
 by: casagian...@optimum.net - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:56 UTC

Julia plots are Beautiful and Interesting.

See : https://postimg.cc/gallery/QHcFVXN

Plotted on the complex plane, each Julia is specific to a complex C.
If for any complex Z, the magnitude of { Z = [ ( Z + C ) squared ]
iterated n times } does not exceed 2 , then Z is a point in the Julia
for C at n iterations.

If a Julia contains the origin and is connected, then C is part of the
Mandelbrot set.

See : https://postimg.cc/gallery/YqLphGg

The Mandelbrot appears to be a well defined figure with apparent
borders or boundaries MBT-1 . Yet when one zooms in on a border or
boundary, there is an ongoing riot of complexity on all scales, MBT-1,
-2, -3, -4 . Very interesting.

Re: Julia and Mandelbrot

<ucqre4$3doag$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=146880&group=sci.math#146880

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Subject: Re: Julia and Mandelbrot
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 12:59:00 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:59 UTC

On 8/31/2023 12:56 PM, casagiannoni@optimum.net wrote:
> Julia plots are Beautiful and Interesting.
>
> See : https://postimg.cc/gallery/QHcFVXN
>
> Plotted on the complex plane, each Julia is specific to a complex C.
> If for any complex Z, the magnitude of { Z = [ ( Z + C ) squared ]
> iterated n times } does not exceed 2 , then Z is a point in the Julia
> for C at n iterations.
>
> If a Julia contains the origin and is connected, then C is part of the
> Mandelbrot set.
>
> See : https://postimg.cc/gallery/YqLphGg
>
> The Mandelbrot appears to be a well defined figure with apparent
> borders or boundaries MBT-1 . Yet when one zooms in on a border or
> boundary, there is an ongoing riot of complexity on all scales, MBT-1,
> -2, -3, -4 . Very interesting.

Plot DLA on a fractal for fun. :^)

here is one of my examples:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1023598555465809&set=pcb.1023598748799123

:^)

Re: Julia and Mandelbrot

<ucqrrf$3e2b4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=146882&group=sci.math#146882

From: FTR...@nomail.afraid.org (FromTheRafters)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 16:06:02 -0400
 by: FromTheRafters - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 20:06 UTC

casagiannoni@optimum.net used his keyboard to write :
> Julia plots are Beautiful and Interesting.
>
> See : https://postimg.cc/gallery/QHcFVXN
>
> Plotted on the complex plane, each Julia is specific to a complex C.
> If for any complex Z, the magnitude of { Z = [ ( Z + C ) squared ]
> iterated n times } does not exceed 2 , then Z is a point in the Julia
> for C at n iterations.
>
> If a Julia contains the origin and is connected, then C is part of the
> Mandelbrot set.
>
> See : https://postimg.cc/gallery/YqLphGg
>
> The Mandelbrot appears to be a well defined figure with apparent
> borders or boundaries MBT-1 . Yet when one zooms in on a border or
> boundary, there is an ongoing riot of complexity on all scales, MBT-1,
> -2, -3, -4 . Very interesting.

Do Julia Sets have 180 degree rotational symmetry?

Re: Julia and Mandelbrot

<255081f6-1793-4a47-9fba-2c597c4010ddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=146890&group=sci.math#146890

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 14:04:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: fredjeff...@gmail.com (FredJeffries)
 by: FredJeffries - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 21:04 UTC

On Thursday, August 31, 2023 at 1:06:17 PM UTC-7, FromTheRafters wrote:
> casagi...@optimum.net used his keyboard to write :
> > Julia plots are Beautiful and Interesting.
> >
> > See : https://postimg.cc/gallery/QHcFVXN
> >
> > Plotted on the complex plane, each Julia is specific to a complex C.
> > If for any complex Z, the magnitude of { Z = [ ( Z + C ) squared ]
> > iterated n times } does not exceed 2 , then Z is a point in the Julia
> > for C at n iterations.
> >
> > If a Julia contains the origin and is connected, then C is part of the
> > Mandelbrot set.
> >
> > See : https://postimg.cc/gallery/YqLphGg
> >
> > The Mandelbrot appears to be a well defined figure with apparent
> > borders or boundaries MBT-1 . Yet when one zooms in on a border or
> > boundary, there is an ongoing riot of complexity on all scales, MBT-1,
> > -2, -3, -4 . Very interesting.
>
> Do Julia Sets have 180 degree rotational symmetry?

The 180 degree rotational symmetry of THESE Julia sets is a consequence of the functions used to generate them:

f(z) = (z + c)^2

for various complex c. These are even functions, so that f(z) = f(-z). So if a particular z escapes, so will -z.
And for the complex numbers, multiplication by -1 is the same as rotating by 180 degrees.

For non-even functions, say,
f(z) = (z + c)^2 + z
or
f(z) = (z + c)^3,

we won't get that same symmetry

Re: Julia and Mandelbrot

<ucrdlq$3g5mn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=146907&group=sci.math#146907

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:10:19 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 01:10 UTC

On 8/31/2023 2:04 PM, FredJeffries wrote:
> On Thursday, August 31, 2023 at 1:06:17 PM UTC-7, FromTheRafters wrote:
>> casagi...@optimum.net used his keyboard to write :
>>> Julia plots are Beautiful and Interesting.
>>>
>>> See : https://postimg.cc/gallery/QHcFVXN
>>>
>>> Plotted on the complex plane, each Julia is specific to a complex C.
>>> If for any complex Z, the magnitude of { Z = [ ( Z + C ) squared ]
>>> iterated n times } does not exceed 2 , then Z is a point in the Julia
>>> for C at n iterations.
>>>
>>> If a Julia contains the origin and is connected, then C is part of the
>>> Mandelbrot set.
>>>
>>> See : https://postimg.cc/gallery/YqLphGg
>>>
>>> The Mandelbrot appears to be a well defined figure with apparent
>>> borders or boundaries MBT-1 . Yet when one zooms in on a border or
>>> boundary, there is an ongoing riot of complexity on all scales, MBT-1,
>>> -2, -3, -4 . Very interesting.
>>
>> Do Julia Sets have 180 degree rotational symmetry?
>
> The 180 degree rotational symmetry of THESE Julia sets is a consequence of the functions used to generate them:
>
> f(z) = (z + c)^2
[...]

Yup, 2-ary, add pi to a point wrt polar form, we get the the opposite,
its fun and useful.

Re: Julia and Mandelbrot

<ucrhkm$3kc3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=146909&group=sci.math#146909

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:17:59 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 02:17 UTC

On 8/31/2023 2:04 PM, FredJeffries wrote:
> On Thursday, August 31, 2023 at 1:06:17 PM UTC-7, FromTheRafters wrote:
>> casagi...@optimum.net used his keyboard to write :
>>> Julia plots are Beautiful and Interesting.
>>>
>>> See : https://postimg.cc/gallery/QHcFVXN
>>>
>>> Plotted on the complex plane, each Julia is specific to a complex C.
>>> If for any complex Z, the magnitude of { Z = [ ( Z + C ) squared ]
>>> iterated n times } does not exceed 2 , then Z is a point in the Julia
>>> for C at n iterations.
>>>
>>> If a Julia contains the origin and is connected, then C is part of the
>>> Mandelbrot set.
>>>
>>> See : https://postimg.cc/gallery/YqLphGg
>>>
>>> The Mandelbrot appears to be a well defined figure with apparent
>>> borders or boundaries MBT-1 . Yet when one zooms in on a border or
>>> boundary, there is an ongoing riot of complexity on all scales, MBT-1,
>>> -2, -3, -4 . Very interesting.
>>
>> Do Julia Sets have 180 degree rotational symmetry?
>
> The 180 degree rotational symmetry of THESE Julia sets is a consequence of the functions used to generate them:
>
> f(z) = (z + c)^2
>
> for various complex c. These are even functions, so that f(z) = f(-z). So if a particular z escapes, so will -z.
> And for the complex numbers, multiplication by -1 is the same as rotating by 180 degrees.
>
> For non-even functions, say,
> f(z) = (z + c)^2 + z
> or
> f(z) = (z + c)^3,
>
> we won't get that same symmetry

Reverse iteration is the way to go. It creates a lot of information.