Pray to God, but keep rowing to shore. -- Russian Proverb

tech / sci.engr.joining.welding / Re: How The Heck Did That Happen

SubjectAuthor
* How The Heck Did That HappenBob La Londe
+* Re: How The Heck Did That HappenGlen Walpert
|`- Re: How The Heck Did That HappenBob La Londe
`* Re: How The Heck Did That Happenamdx
 `* Re: How The Heck Did That HappenBob La Londe
  `* Re: How The Heck Did That HappenJim Wilkins
   `* Re: How The Heck Did That HappenBob La Londe
    `* Re: How The Heck Did That HappenJim Wilkins
     `- Re: How The Heck Did That HappenBob La Londe

1
How The Heck Did That Happen

<sl1thd$jl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=140&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#140

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Subject: How The Heck Did That Happen
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 14:06:54 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 21:06 UTC

I've got a decent if not great welding table in my shop. Basically a
frame work of 2x2x1/8 inch steel tube with a 1/4 steel plate for the
top. Often when working on relatively clean pieces that I have to turn
and rotate I'll just attach the work piece clamp to the table top and do
what I need to do. It usually just works.

Yesterday I was making (its not finished yet) a 3PT to hitch assembly to
use on John Deere tractor. Something to I can drop in the quick hitch
to quickly and easily more trailers around. I am using whatever scraps
and drops I have around. For now I am just grinding and v-grinding
enough to get a good weld. Because its drops and scrap some is cover in
paint and others are covered in old paint or powder coat. I had been
clamping direct to good surfaces on the work piece prior to taking it
out for a test fit.

Even I was able to lay down welds that didn't look completely terrible.
Mostly 1/4 wall tube salvaged from a trailer axle, and solid round bar
for all the pins. I had the welder set for 3/8 and it was just doing a
dandy job in spite of my low skill level.

When I came back in to weld the upper cross pin in place I was still
amazed with how well the beads were laying down. Then I paused and
realized I had not reattached the clamp to the work piece. I looked
around expecting to see it clamped to the table. No, it was laying on
the floor. My brain short circuited for a moment. I'd just started a
weld bead and was half way around the pin when I stopped. It looked
ever bit as not totally terrible as every other weld. How was that
possible? Ok, steel table (to heavy to lift) directly on a concrete
floor. I just stood there for a moment waiting for my brain to catch up
with my vision. The clamp might have been touching a piece of stainless
angle that might have been touching a piece of stainless plate that
might have been touching one leg of the table. Maybe. Just barely.

When I tried to move the hitch I found it had welded itself to the
table. I don't mean firmly, but enough that I had to break it loose and
there were a couple pits in the table top.

They always told me when you crank up up the juice the welds often get
easier, but I never thought it would be so easy you didn't even have to
attach the work piece clamp. LOL.

https://www.avg.com

Re: How The Heck Did That Happen

<93%cJ.8387$CW2.6541@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=141&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#141

From: nos...@null.void (Glen Walpert)
Subject: Re: How The Heck Did That Happen
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 21:23:17 GMT
 by: Glen Walpert - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 21:23 UTC

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 14:06:54 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

> I've got a decent if not great welding table in my shop. Basically a
> frame work of 2x2x1/8 inch steel tube with a 1/4 steel plate for the
> top. Often when working on relatively clean pieces that I have to turn
> and rotate I'll just attach the work piece clamp to the table top and do
> what I need to do. It usually just works.
>
> Yesterday I was making (its not finished yet) a 3PT to hitch assembly to
> use on John Deere tractor. Something to I can drop in the quick hitch
> to quickly and easily more trailers around. I am using whatever scraps
> and drops I have around. For now I am just grinding and v-grinding
> enough to get a good weld. Because its drops and scrap some is cover in
> paint and others are covered in old paint or powder coat. I had been
> clamping direct to good surfaces on the work piece prior to taking it
> out for a test fit.
>
> Even I was able to lay down welds that didn't look completely terrible.
> Mostly 1/4 wall tube salvaged from a trailer axle, and solid round bar
> for all the pins. I had the welder set for 3/8 and it was just doing a
> dandy job in spite of my low skill level.
>
> When I came back in to weld the upper cross pin in place I was still
> amazed with how well the beads were laying down. Then I paused and
> realized I had not reattached the clamp to the work piece. I looked
> around expecting to see it clamped to the table. No, it was laying on
> the floor. My brain short circuited for a moment. I'd just started a
> weld bead and was half way around the pin when I stopped. It looked
> ever bit as not totally terrible as every other weld. How was that
> possible? Ok, steel table (to heavy to lift) directly on a concrete
> floor. I just stood there for a moment waiting for my brain to catch up
> with my vision. The clamp might have been touching a piece of stainless
> angle that might have been touching a piece of stainless plate that
> might have been touching one leg of the table. Maybe. Just barely.
>
> When I tried to move the hitch I found it had welded itself to the
> table. I don't mean firmly, but enough that I had to break it loose and
> there were a couple pits in the table top.
>
> They always told me when you crank up up the juice the welds often get
> easier, but I never thought it would be so easy you didn't even have to
> attach the work piece clamp. LOL.

Sounds like you have an unintended return path for your welding current.
If this path includes your welder power ground, as can happen if the
welder return connection and the table are separately connected to your
power distribution safety ground, then you are at risk of melting the
welder safety ground conductor and/or starting a fire since welding
machine output current can be much greater than welder input conductor
current rating, suggest you check it out.

Glen

Re: How The Heck Did That Happen

<sl297a$1pko$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=142&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#142

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 17:26:20 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 00:26 UTC

On 10/23/2021 2:23 PM, Glen Walpert wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 14:06:54 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:
>
>> I've got a decent if not great welding table in my shop. Basically a
>> frame work of 2x2x1/8 inch steel tube with a 1/4 steel plate for the
>> top. Often when working on relatively clean pieces that I have to turn
>> and rotate I'll just attach the work piece clamp to the table top and do
>> what I need to do. It usually just works.
>>
>> Yesterday I was making (its not finished yet) a 3PT to hitch assembly to
>> use on John Deere tractor. Something to I can drop in the quick hitch
>> to quickly and easily more trailers around. I am using whatever scraps
>> and drops I have around. For now I am just grinding and v-grinding
>> enough to get a good weld. Because its drops and scrap some is cover in
>> paint and others are covered in old paint or powder coat. I had been
>> clamping direct to good surfaces on the work piece prior to taking it
>> out for a test fit.
>>
>> Even I was able to lay down welds that didn't look completely terrible.
>> Mostly 1/4 wall tube salvaged from a trailer axle, and solid round bar
>> for all the pins. I had the welder set for 3/8 and it was just doing a
>> dandy job in spite of my low skill level.
>>
>> When I came back in to weld the upper cross pin in place I was still
>> amazed with how well the beads were laying down. Then I paused and
>> realized I had not reattached the clamp to the work piece. I looked
>> around expecting to see it clamped to the table. No, it was laying on
>> the floor. My brain short circuited for a moment. I'd just started a
>> weld bead and was half way around the pin when I stopped. It looked
>> ever bit as not totally terrible as every other weld. How was that
>> possible? Ok, steel table (to heavy to lift) directly on a concrete
>> floor. I just stood there for a moment waiting for my brain to catch up
>> with my vision. The clamp might have been touching a piece of stainless
>> angle that might have been touching a piece of stainless plate that
>> might have been touching one leg of the table. Maybe. Just barely.
>>
>> When I tried to move the hitch I found it had welded itself to the
>> table. I don't mean firmly, but enough that I had to break it loose and
>> there were a couple pits in the table top.
>>
>> They always told me when you crank up up the juice the welds often get
>> easier, but I never thought it would be so easy you didn't even have to
>> attach the work piece clamp. LOL.
>
> Sounds like you have an unintended return path for your welding current.
> If this path includes your welder power ground, as can happen if the
> welder return connection and the table are separately connected to your
> power distribution safety ground, then you are at risk of melting the
> welder safety ground conductor and/or starting a fire since welding
> machine output current can be much greater than welder input conductor
> current rating, suggest you check it out.
>
> Glen

Did the easiest test. Hung the work piece clamp on the welder. No arc
on the table. I knew it wouldn't. Its not an old beat up POS welder
that's been patched and repaired. Its an old rarely used decent name
brand welder that looks almost new except were I have written notes on
it with a paint marker. Still I did a test anyway.

https://www.avg.com

Re: How The Heck Did That Happen

<smr38s$a0s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=143&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#143

From: amd...@knology.net (amdx)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 07:34:19 -0600
 by: amdx - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 13:34 UTC

On 10/23/2021 4:06 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> I've got a decent if not great welding table in my shop.  Basically a
> frame work of 2x2x1/8 inch steel tube with a 1/4 steel plate for the
> top.  Often when working on relatively clean pieces that I have to
> turn and rotate I'll just attach the work piece clamp to the table top
> and do what I need to do.  It usually just works.
>
> Yesterday I was making (its not finished yet) a 3PT to hitch assembly
> to use on John Deere tractor.  Something to I can drop in the quick
> hitch to quickly and easily more trailers around.  I am using whatever
> scraps and drops I have around.  For now I am just grinding and
> v-grinding enough to get a good weld.  Because its drops and scrap
> some is cover in paint and others are covered in old paint or powder
> coat.  I had been clamping direct to good surfaces on the work piece
> prior to taking it out for a test fit.
>
> Even I was able to lay down welds that didn't look completely
> terrible. Mostly 1/4 wall tube salvaged from a trailer axle, and solid
> round bar for all the pins.  I had the welder set for 3/8 and it was
> just doing a dandy job in spite of my low skill level.
>
> When I came back in to weld the upper cross pin in place I was still
> amazed with how well the beads were laying down.  Then I paused and
> realized I had not reattached the clamp to the work piece.  I looked
> around expecting to see it clamped to the table. No, it was laying on
> the floor.  My brain short circuited for a moment.  I'd just started a
> weld bead and was half way around the pin when I stopped.  It looked
> ever bit as not totally terrible as every other weld.  How was that
> possible?  Ok, steel table (to heavy to lift) directly on a concrete
> floor.  I just stood there for a moment waiting for my brain to catch
> up with my vision.  The clamp might have been touching a piece of
> stainless angle that might have been touching a piece of stainless
> plate that might have been touching one leg of the table.  Maybe.
> Just barely.
>
> When I tried to move the hitch I found it had welded itself to the
> table.  I don't mean firmly, but enough that I had to break it loose
> and there were a couple pits in the table top.
>
> They always told me when you crank up up the juice the welds often get
> easier, but I never thought it would be so easy you didn't even have
> to attach the work piece clamp.

  Me thinks the clamp fell off just as you finished your weld. Your not
going to get any decent current to flow through even a low ohm resistance.

Even 1 ohm is not trivial here.

                                     Mikek

Re: How The Heck Did That Happen

<smu9m3$h3o$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=144&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#144

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 11:42:10 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 18:42 UTC

On 11/14/2021 6:34 AM, amdx wrote:
> On 10/23/2021 4:06 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> I've got a decent if not great welding table in my shop.  Basically a
>> frame work of 2x2x1/8 inch steel tube with a 1/4 steel plate for the
>> top.  Often when working on relatively clean pieces that I have to
>> turn and rotate I'll just attach the work piece clamp to the table top
>> and do what I need to do.  It usually just works.
>>
>> Yesterday I was making (its not finished yet) a 3PT to hitch assembly
>> to use on John Deere tractor.  Something to I can drop in the quick
>> hitch to quickly and easily more trailers around.  I am using whatever
>> scraps and drops I have around.  For now I am just grinding and
>> v-grinding enough to get a good weld.  Because its drops and scrap
>> some is cover in paint and others are covered in old paint or powder
>> coat.  I had been clamping direct to good surfaces on the work piece
>> prior to taking it out for a test fit.
>>
>> Even I was able to lay down welds that didn't look completely
>> terrible. Mostly 1/4 wall tube salvaged from a trailer axle, and solid
>> round bar for all the pins.  I had the welder set for 3/8 and it was
>> just doing a dandy job in spite of my low skill level.
>>
>> When I came back in to weld the upper cross pin in place I was still
>> amazed with how well the beads were laying down.  Then I paused and
>> realized I had not reattached the clamp to the work piece.  I looked
>> around expecting to see it clamped to the table. No, it was laying on
>> the floor.  My brain short circuited for a moment.  I'd just started a
>> weld bead and was half way around the pin when I stopped.  It looked
>> ever bit as not totally terrible as every other weld.  How was that
>> possible?  Ok, steel table (to heavy to lift) directly on a concrete
>> floor.  I just stood there for a moment waiting for my brain to catch
>> up with my vision.  The clamp might have been touching a piece of
>> stainless angle that might have been touching a piece of stainless
>> plate that might have been touching one leg of the table.  Maybe. Just
>> barely.
>>
>> When I tried to move the hitch I found it had welded itself to the
>> table.  I don't mean firmly, but enough that I had to break it loose
>> and there were a couple pits in the table top.
>>
>> They always told me when you crank up up the juice the welds often get
>> easier, but I never thought it would be so easy you didn't even have
>> to attach the work piece clamp.
>

>   Me thinks the clamp fell off just as you finished your weld. Your not
> going to get any decent current to flow through even a low ohm resistance.
>
> Even 1 ohm is not trivial here.
>
>                                      Mikek

I would generally agree, but the work piece had minor autogenous welds
to the table top. Like the arcing of a dry contact that has no
protection. maybe that was purely incidental. I do not normally see
that.

https://www.avg.com

Re: How The Heck Did That Happen

<sn2qrk$4vf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=145&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#145

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 06:59:23 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 17 Nov 2021 11:59 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:smu9m3$h3o$1@gioia.aioe.org...

On 11/14/2021 6:34 AM, amdx wrote:
> On 10/23/2021 4:06 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> I've got a decent if not great welding table in my shop. Basically a
>> frame work of 2x2x1/8 inch steel tube with a 1/4 steel plate for the top.
>> Often when working on relatively clean pieces that I have to turn and
>> rotate I'll just attach the work piece clamp to the table top and do what
>> I need to do. It usually just works.
>>
>> Yesterday I was making (its not finished yet) a 3PT to hitch assembly to
>> use on John Deere tractor. Something to I can drop in the quick hitch to
>> quickly and easily more trailers around. I am using whatever scraps and
>> drops I have around. For now I am just grinding and v-grinding enough to
>> get a good weld. Because its drops and scrap some is cover in paint and
>> others are covered in old paint or powder coat. I had been clamping
>> direct to good surfaces on the work piece prior to taking it out for a
>> test fit.
>>
>> Even I was able to lay down welds that didn't look completely terrible.
>> Mostly 1/4 wall tube salvaged from a trailer axle, and solid round bar
>> for all the pins. I had the welder set for 3/8 and it was just doing a
>> dandy job in spite of my low skill level.
>>
>> When I came back in to weld the upper cross pin in place I was still
>> amazed with how well the beads were laying down. Then I paused and
>> realized I had not reattached the clamp to the work piece. I looked
>> around expecting to see it clamped to the table. No, it was laying on the
>> floor. My brain short circuited for a moment. I'd just started a weld
>> bead and was half way around the pin when I stopped. It looked ever bit
>> as not totally terrible as every other weld. How was that possible? Ok,
>> steel table (to heavy to lift) directly on a concrete floor. I just
>> stood there for a moment waiting for my brain to catch up with my vision.
>> The clamp might have been touching a piece of stainless angle that might
>> have been touching a piece of stainless plate that might have been
>> touching one leg of the table. Maybe. Just barely.
>>
>> When I tried to move the hitch I found it had welded itself to the table.
>> I don't mean firmly, but enough that I had to break it loose and there
>> were a couple pits in the table top.
>>
>> They always told me when you crank up up the juice the welds often get
>> easier, but I never thought it would be so easy you didn't even have to
>> attach the work piece clamp.
>

> Me thinks the clamp fell off just as you finished your weld. Your not
> going to get any decent current to flow through even a low ohm resistance.
>
> Even 1 ohm is not trivial here.
>
> Mikek

I would generally agree, but the work piece had minor autogenous welds
to the table top. Like the arcing of a dry contact that has no
protection. maybe that was purely incidental. I do not normally see
that.

----------------------

Maybe the clamp was lying on the table until you stopped welding and knocked
it off by moving the cables.

Re: How The Heck Did That Happen

<snb76b$9fi$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=147&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#147

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 09:19:23 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 16:19 UTC

On 11/17/2021 4:59 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> [...]
>>> table. I don't mean firmly, but enough that I had to break it loose
>>> and there were a couple pits in the table top.
>>>
>>> They always told me when you crank up up the juice the welds often
>>> get easier, but I never thought it would be so easy you didn't even
>>> have to attach the work piece clamp.
>>

>>    Me thinks the clamp fell off just as you finished your weld. Your
>> not going to get any decent current to flow through even a low ohm
>> resistance.
>>
>> Even 1 ohm is not trivial here.
>>
>>                                       Mikek
>>

> I would generally agree, but the work piece had minor autogenous welds
> to the table top. Like the arcing of a dry contact that has no
> protection.  maybe that was purely incidental.  I do not normally see
> that.
>
> ----------------------
>
> Maybe the clamp was lying on the table until you stopped welding and

Maybe. I certainly suffered a moment of cognitive dissonance when I
lifted my hood and saw the work piece clamp laying on the floor.

https://www.avg.com

Re: How The Heck Did That Happen

<snbamo$nvu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=148&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#148

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 12:18:54 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 17:18 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:snb76b$9fi$2@gioia.aioe.org...

> [...]
>>> get easier, but I never thought it would be so easy you didn't even
>>> have to attach the work piece clamp.
>>

>> Me thinks the clamp fell off just as you finished your weld. Your
>> not going to get any decent current to flow through even a low ohm
>> resistance.
>>
>> Even 1 ohm is not trivial here.
>>
>> Mikek
>>

> I would generally agree, but the work piece had minor autogenous welds
> to the table top. Like the arcing of a dry contact that has no
> protection. maybe that was purely incidental. I do not normally see
> that.
>
> ----------------------
>
> Maybe the clamp was lying on the table until you stopped welding and
> knocked it off by moving the cables.

Maybe. I certainly suffered a moment of cognitive dissonance when I
lifted my hood and saw the work piece clamp laying on the floor.

-----------------

You missed your chance to be a billionaire ray gun inventor.

-Tony Stark

Re: How The Heck Did That Happen

<snbbft$av6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=149&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#149

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:32:45 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 17:32 UTC

On 11/20/2021 10:18 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:snb76b$9fi$2@gioia.aioe.org...
> On 11/17/2021 4:59 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:smu9m3$h3o$1@gioia.aioe.org...

>>>    Me thinks the clamp fell off just as you finished your weld. Your
>>> not going to get any decent current to flow through even a low ohm
>>> resistance.
>>>
>>> Even 1 ohm is not trivial here.
>>>
>>>                                       Mikek
>>>

>> I would generally agree, but the work piece had minor autogenous welds
>> to the table top. Like the arcing of a dry contact that has no
>> protection.  maybe that was purely incidental.  I do not normally see
>> that.
>>
>> ----------------------
>>
>> Maybe the clamp was lying on the table until you stopped welding and
>> knocked it off by moving the cables.
>>

> Maybe.  I certainly suffered a moment of cognitive dissonance when I
> lifted my hood and saw the work piece clamp laying on the floor.

> You missed your chance to be a billionaire ray gun inventor.
> -Tony Stark

Ray guns already exist. All I could do is refine them. In the past
atmospheric conditions and power requirements limited their
effectiveness and practicality.

https://www.avg.com